Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by austin.d.powers
If you need a physical SIM then I'd advise going to Bic Camera or Yodobashi when you arrive.

Getting one at the airport is convenient, and not so expensive, but I picked up an unlimited LTE data plan for $20 for 30 days, extendable for 3 months, all instructions in English.

There is no issue at all with writing you delivery instructions in English if you need to mail items, Japan Post and all other couriers completely understand the addresses in English.

Because you cannot buy a SIM with phone or SMS access, only data, they don't even need your name or any ID. Just put it into your phone and if needed choose the APN. I've got a dual Sim phone, so use the foreign SIM for receiving calls, and use the Japanese one for data and sending message and making calls with Skype.
Unlimited data for tourist SIMs that isn't a rental is new. No throttle or deprioritization?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond
No, I was very surprised at the great deal. Yodobashi.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:41 am

No, I was very surprised at the great deal. Yodobashi.
US$20? Sound unbelievable cheap for unlimited data. Which network is used and from which company is the SIM card?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond
Originally Posted by 31570324
US$20? Sound unbelievable cheap for unlimited data. Which network is used and from which company is the SIM card?
I lost the SIM card opener, but it's connected to docomo. If I can open it I'll tell you.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
The IIJmio e-sim 550 yen promotion pricing is extended through Nov 30.

On a separate topic: How is docomo's 5G service? Is it worth signing up for via Ubigi instead of IIJmio (which is 4G only for data e-sim)?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Daytona
The IIJmio e-sim 550 yen promotion pricing is extended through Nov 30.

On a separate topic: How is docomo's 5G service? Is it worth signing up for via Ubigi instead of IIJmio (which is 4G only for data e-sim)?
I used Ubigi on an S22 when I was last in Japan in September and I don't think my phone connected to 5G. I also wasn't terribly impressed with the speeds (10-15mbps) and had a couple instances where data dropped entirely despite having good reception - I toggled my TMo's free 256kbps roaming data back on and it connected to NTT just fine so I don't think it was a network issue. I'm gonna try iijmio when I land in a few days to see how it compares.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:00 pm

Because you cannot buy a SIM with phone or SMS access, only data, they don't even need your name or any ID.
Thanks for all the great info in this thread! I am however still somewhat confused; is it impossible to get voice/SMS without being a resident or is this possible if showing e.g. passport at Yodobashi or BIC? I tried to look at the website of iijmio but it seems to be impossible to do online without Japanese documents...
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by sveg
Thanks for all the great info in this thread! I am however still somewhat confused; is it impossible to get voice/SMS without being a resident or is this possible if showing e.g. passport at Yodobashi or BIC? I tried to look at the website of iijmio but it seems to be impossible to do online without Japanese documents...
It is possible to get a sim card with phone/sms, but it is only provided by a handful of small companies at a relatively high price (e.g. https://www.hanacell.com/japan/) and has a number of other drawbacks too. 100% not worth it, if you're in Japan only for a single, normal tourist visit.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd
According to the Ubigi website, the clock starts ticking when you purchase the data plan.
When is the best timing to buy
Ubigi - you can actually activate their free eSIM profile

from my local testing (without paying for a data plan) - their eSIM profile firewalls everything except their ubigi.com website
1) so you can land, turn on phone, connect to Ubigi network
2) phone won't work for any otherwebsite other than ubigi.com, so you can go purchase your plan at that time
3) in NYC, they gave me a native NYC ip address (and low latency), so hopefully it'll be the same in japan.
Originally Posted by 31570324
Phone of my wife can handle eSIM, mine not. So I already bought the eSIM for her, but still want a physical SIM for myself.
FYI there's a sim that kinda works to give eSIM support on any phone (a lot of fineprint, may not work for all phones)

it used to be cheapish (~30USD ), but now their pricing model is different

eSIM support for phone without eSIM (can move eSIM across phones)
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:44 am

I need some advice on this..

I am coming to Japan in a few days. I need mobile data. I haven't reserved anything yet.

I will be in Japan for 1 month most likely.. possibly 2 months. What is the best pre-paid SIM card for me?

I will be landing at KIX airport around 22:00PM. Is it too late to get a SIM card? Which SIM card is affordable for mobile data only for a period of 1 - 2 months?

I need input on this as I'm confused when I Google it. Any specific recommendations? It may be too late to get it when I arrive KIX.. but perhaps I can get a SIM card a day or two later from a store?

I don't want to carry around a mobile "hotspot".. I'd prefer to just have a SIM card I can swap into my unlocked GSM Android phone.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:54 am

Let me add.. that I just learned my phone (OnePlus 9) doesn't have "esim" feature sadly...

and ideally looking for physical SIM 1-3GB of data valid for 30 days for $20 USD (or less) from KIX airport. I saw esims with 3GB data are going for about $8 USD for 30 days.. what is the best deal for a physical SIM card with 1-3GB on it from KIX?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: SAS EBG
I have been using "Mobal" for over a week now, and it works great. Physical sim that I ordered online and picked up at HND when I arrived.
In the phone it looks like a IIJ card, so I guess they are using the same network.
https://www.mobal.com/japan-sim-card/
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I need some advice on this..

I am coming to Japan in a few days. I need mobile data. I haven't reserved anything yet.

I will be in Japan for 1 month most likely.. possibly 2 months. What is the best pre-paid SIM card for me?

I will be landing at KIX airport around 22:00PM. Is it too late to get a SIM card? Which SIM card is affordable for mobile data only for a period of 1 - 2 months?

I need input on this as I'm confused when I Google it. Any specific recommendations? It may be too late to get it when I arrive KIX.. but perhaps I can get a SIM card a day or two later from a store?

I don't want to carry around a mobile "hotspot".. I'd prefer to just have a SIM card I can swap into my unlocked GSM Android phone.
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Let me add.. that I just learned my phone (OnePlus 9) doesn't have "esim" feature sadly...

and ideally looking for physical SIM 1-3GB of data valid for 30 days for $20 USD (or less) from KIX airport. I saw esims with 3GB data are going for about $8 USD for 30 days.. what is the best deal for a physical SIM card with 1-3GB on it from KIX?
You can find vending machines after you step out of arrival
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Are those pictures recent? All three of those companies don't seem to offer tourist SIMs anymore if their websites are any indication.

Originally Posted by sveg
Another option is to order a SIM from another country bought online. Some physical roaming SIMs do offer voice/SMS at a higher price; for example, AIS SIM2Fly.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:36 am

If you need a physical SIM then I'd advise going to Bic Camera or Yodobashi when you arrive.

Getting one at the airport is convenient, and not so expensive, but I picked up an unlimited LTE data plan for $20 for 30 days, extendable for 3 months, all instructions in English.

There is no issue at all with writing you delivery instructions in English if you need to mail items, Japan Post and all other couriers completely understand the addresses in English.

Because you cannot buy a SIM with phone or SMS access, only data, they don't even need your name or any ID. Just put it into your phone and if needed choose the APN. I've got a dual Sim phone, so use the foreign SIM for receiving calls, and use the Japanese one for data and sending message and making calls with Skype.
Which airport was this? NRT? Did you buy from a vending machine or a store at the airport? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.