Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
IIJMio's eSIMs are available to anyone with a credit card (local or international) and an address in Japan they can write down on the application form, and the minimum contract period is only two months (or to be accurate, the last day of the calendar month following the one you signed up in). I was able to sign up for and activate a Giga Plan eSIM without a residency card or MyNumber. Use the Amazon offer to avoid the usual 3300 yen activation fee if you sign up directly on IIJMio's website and cost performance blows the tourist SIMs out of the water.
This one? https://www.amazon.co.jp/Version-Ini...jaz10cnVl&th=1

Is this the process?
1. Buy esim from Amazon/iijmio for download
2. Activate esim Giga Plan https://www.iijmio.jp/gigaplan/esim/
Plans
  • 2 GB 440 yen
  • 4 GB 660 yen
  • 8 GB 1,100 yen
  • 15 GB 1,430 yen
  • 20 GB 1,650 yen
3. Cancel plan after 2 months, esim can be reactivated later with IIJMio account

IIJMio doesn't seem to offer sms or direct voice on the esim plan https://www.iijmio.jp/simguide/esim/cons.html though the esim can be exchanged for a physical sim? Voice & SMS on Au/Docomo seems to still require a MyNumber/id (should have clarified that) and you're right that various MVNOs do offer contract data only plans which don't require id verification.
From https://www.iijmio.jp/hdc/spec/
Voice SIM/SMS SIM Precautions
  • ・[Voice SIM] Customers under the age of 18 cannot make a contract.
  • ・[Voice SIM] Identity verification documents such as driver's license, Japanese passport ("identification support document" is also required), health insurance card, etc. are required for identity verification based on the Act on Prevention of Unauthorized Use of Mobile Phones. *
  • ・Please note that some apps may automatically send SMS overseas.
  • ・We have not checked the operation of sending and receiving SMS with various applications. In addition, we have not confirmed the presence or absence of SMS sending and receiving functions on the terminal side. Please contact the device provider.
  • *After February 2022, identity verification procedures will be required for SMS SIM contracts to prevent unauthorized use.
  • *From March 24, 2022, we will provide a "dangerous SMS rejection setting" function for type D SIM cards with SMS functions or SIM cards with voice call functions. Click here for details
  • *From March 24, 2022, customers using a Type A SIM card with SMS function or a SIM card with voice call function will automatically detect suspicious SMS and messages and display a warning. ” app is provided by KDDI and Okinawa Cellular. Click here for details
-------
Original JP
  • ・【音声SIMの場合】18歳未満の方はご契約できません。
  • ・【音声SIMの場合】携帯電話不正利用防止法に基づく本人確認のため、運転免許証・日本国パスポート(「 本人確認補助書類」も必須)・健康保険証などの本人確認書類が必要です。※
  • ・アプリによっては自動で海外へのSMS送信が発生する場合もございますのでご注意ください。
  • ・各種アプリによるSMS送受信の動作確認は行っておりません。また、端末側のSMS送受信機能の有無につ いても、弊社にて確認は行っておりません。端末の提供元へお問い合わせください。
  • ※2022年2月以降、SMS SIMのご契約においても不正利用防止のため、本人確認手続きが必要となります。
  • ※2022年3月24日より、タイプDのSMS機能付きSIMカードまたは音声通話機能付きSIMカードに おいて、「危険SMS拒否設定」機能を提供します。詳細はこちら
  • ※2022年3月24日より、タイプAのSMS機能付きSIMカードまたは音声通話機能付きSIMカードを ご利用のお客さまに、不審な SMS やメッセージを自動で検知し警告表示する「迷惑メッセージブロック機能」アプリがKDDI、沖縄セルラーか ら提供されます。詳細はこちら
Just asking about sms/phone number since some people still want that for 2FA or local calls.
MattEvan and inyvr like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There are other e-sim plans from different providers that will work in Japan, or anyone with certain TMobile plans can just get an esim added to their account and move their service to the new Japan iPhone.
There are plenty of roaming data esims, both from non-country affiliated or actual telco companies. There are situations when I prefer a JP domestic option such as going to super inaka with questionable coverage, not wanting to deal with certain Asian carriers & their local privacy/lack thereof due to how apns route traffic, and high latency due to non-JP apns. Latency isn't usually a problem for me but could be for live streamers or remote work including Zoom video meetings. IIJMio's Giga Plan pricing is very good, too, which might enable me to discontinue Google Fi & sign up when outside JP or go with another esim https://esimdb.com/ since iPhone wifi calling should work for my main US carrier using 2nd (non-US) esim data. It also offers data sharing between two plans. 5G seems limited to the physical sims.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
FYI iPhone 14 US models will have dual esim, not esim + physical sim slot https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...n-u-s.2357198/
FWIW, the Canadian iPhone 14 has a physical sim + esim setup. Bottom commenter stated Canadian models may not be whitelisted on Verizon & Verizon MVNOs so they won't work so I'd wait for actual reports before purchasing if that is important to some. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/...se_a_canadian/ JP model is the same as the CA model https://www.apple.com/iphone/cellular/ There are 5 regional network variants of the iPhone 14 Pro Max

US:
  • iPhone 14 Model A2649
  • iPhone 14 Plus Model A2632
  • iPhone 14 Pro Model A2650
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max Model A2651

JP/CA
  • iPhone 14 Model A2881
  • iPhone 14 Plus Model A2885
  • iPhone 14 Pro Model A2889
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max Model A2893
Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I’m guessing the initial pricing of the phone in Japan has already accounted for a 145/$ Yen, so it’s unlikely we’ll find a bargain there, and will only get worse if the Yen recovers.

I had friends in Singapore posting very unhappy comments about the price gouging Apple unleashed for that market for this phone especially given the price never changed for the US market.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
This one? https://www.amazon.co.jp/Version-Ini...jaz10cnVl&th=1

Is this the process?
1. Buy esim from Amazon/iijmio for download
2. Activate esim Giga Plan https://www.iijmio.jp/gigaplan/esim/
Plans
  • 2 GB 440 yen
  • 4 GB 660 yen
  • 8 GB 1,100 yen
  • 15 GB 1,430 yen
  • 20 GB 1,650 yen
3. Cancel plan after 2 months, esim can be reactivated later with IIJMio account
Yes, that's the process, although you can skip "cancel after 2 months" if you're a repeat visitor.

IIJMio doesn't seem to offer sms or direct voice on the esim plan https://www.iijmio.jp/simguide/esim/cons.html though the esim can be exchanged for a physical sim? Voice & SMS on Au/Docomo seems to still require a MyNumber/id (should have clarified that) and you're right that various MVNOs do offer contract data only plans which don't require id verification.
From https://www.iijmio.jp/hdc/spec/

Just asking about sms/phone number since some people still want that for 2FA or local calls.
That's the main downside. If you want data without being routed through another country, this is the way to go, but for voice/SMS, you still need to get a physical SIM and you can't sign up without a residence card (it used to be that for SMS+data you didn't need a residence card either, but that changed back in February). There are services like Hanacell that will provide a Japanese voice/SMS/data number to US residents, but they show no signs of offering eSIM.
freecia and freakazoid like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
There are services like Hanacell that will provide a Japanese voice/SMS/data number to US residents, but they show no signs of offering eSIM.
Do you know of other services that provide a sim card with phone number to foreigners without residency in Japan? Or some keyword to search for it? This offer does look pretty good for my needs (spending 1-2 month/year at a time in Japan), just curious if there are alternatives.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Delete

Last edited by williamluk; Oct 7, 2022 at 5:44 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Do you know of other services that provide a sim card with phone number to foreigners without residency in Japan? Or some keyword to search for it? This offer does look pretty good for my needs (spending 1-2 month/year at a time in Japan), just curious if there are alternatives.
I've used Mobal a few times in the past. Some of their plans offer a Japanese phone number which you can keep for a monthly fee or cancel later if you like.
https://www.mobal.com/japan-sim-card/?t=st&/

Interestingly, it looks like HanaCell and Mobal are affiliated: https://www.mobal.com/blog/new-produ...-com-launches/

Last edited by mongobot; Sep 24, 2022 at 12:02 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by mongobot
I've used Mobal a few times in the past. Some of their plans offer a Japanese phone number which you can keep for a monthly fee or cancel later if you like.
https://www.mobal.com/japan-sim-card/?t=st&/

Interestingly, it looks like HanaCell and Mobal are affiliated: https://www.mobal.com/blog/new-produ...-com-launches/
The nice part about HanaCell is that you only have to pay for the months you use it, while keeping the same sim/number/contract. IIRC Mobal used to offer to suspend their contracts, but I can't find anything like that with their current offers. HanaCell does have some bitter pills on their own. You can't port your number to a different provider, their outgoing call rates are expensive and maybe worst of all, you can't use SMS service outside Japan. The latter is especially bad if you want to signup/(re)install apps that require a phone number and you're outside Japan.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by freakazoid
The nice part about HanaCell is that you only have to pay for the months you use it, while keeping the same sim/number/contract. IIRC Mobal used to offer to suspend their contracts, but I can't find anything like that with their current offers. HanaCell does have some bitter pills on their own. You can't port your number to a different provider, their outgoing call rates are expensive and maybe worst of all, you can't use SMS service outside Japan. The latter is especially bad if you want to signup/(re)install apps that require a phone number and you're outside Japan.
The issue with the last point is, I don’t think anyone will allow you to do that anymore. The last chance for that was probably when data+SMS SIMs were still available without Japanese ID (I have a Mineo plan that allows SMS roaming only). I think going forward the only way to get a number that can receive SMS outside Japan will be with the help of a Japanese resident, and that has its own issues (I had a Kyash account for certain apps and services that neither AmEx nor JCB can slip past in terms of region checking and it got frozen, though thankfully only with a couple thousand yen in it).
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:01 pm

Yes, that's the process, although you can skip "cancel after 2 months" if you're a repeat visitor.

That's the main downside. If you want data without being routed through another country, this is the way to go, but for voice/SMS, you still need to get a physical SIM and you can't sign up without a residence card (it used to be that for SMS+data you didn't need a residence card either, but that changed back in February). There are services like Hanacell that will provide a Japanese voice/SMS/data number to US residents, but they show no signs of offering eSIM.

I don't see anything on IIJMio's website prohibiting tethering so I assume it's fine, anyone know otherwise?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Dynastar
I don't see anything on IIJMio's website prohibiting tethering so I assume it's fine, anyone know otherwise?
It says tethering is fine but not all systems will work with it, whatever that means.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I signed up for IIJMio over the weekend, 20gb for 1650 yen/month is a great price. It was a pain to create the account, but I was able to make it work using my hotels address/phone, and no id verification for eSim-only version. Downloading the eSim was simple. BTW, it's only 550 yen until next month to get the eSim, after that it's ~3000 yen.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:28 pm

IIJMio's eSIMs are available to anyone with a credit card (local or international) and an address in Japan they can write down on the application form, and the minimum contract period is only two months (or to be accurate, the last day of the calendar month following the one you signed up in). I was able to sign up for and activate a Giga Plan eSIM without a residency card or MyNumber. Use the Amazon offer to avoid the usual 3300 yen activation fee if you sign up directly on IIJMio's website and cost performance blows the tourist SIMs out of the water.

Protip: They have rollover data, so if you're only going for a short trip, sign up for service the month before you go and for about half as much as you think you need. That way you'll take care of one of the two months of the minimum contract period so that you can cancel at the end of your trip without issue.

(to demonstrate the math of doing this compared to a standard tourist SIM, Amazon offer = 330 yen activation fee + 1320 yen for 2 months of the 4GB plan is 1650 yen for 8 GB when I arrive, compared to around 2700 yen for a WirelessGate 7GB tourist SIM from Yodobashi Camera).

This is also handy for repeat visitors because you don't need to get a new SIM every time you go.
Trying to wrap my head around this by putting in a live example. If I'm in Japan November 17 to December 6. Does that mean I can activate the esim/plan (overseas) on Oct 15 with the 4GB plan and I will have 8GB by the time I arrive in Japan on Nov 17?

Last edited by Angusgor; Sep 26, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
I signed up for IIJMio over the weekend, 20gb for 1650 yen/month is a great price. It was a pain to create the account, but I was able to make it work using my hotels address/phone, and no id verification for eSim-only version. Downloading the eSim was simple. BTW, it's only 550 yen until next month to get the eSim, after that it's ~3000 yen.
lol I feel your pain. I was trying to buy Sumo tickets last night and they do everything possible to not let foreigners buy anything from a Japanese website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.