Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by freecia

Japanese MVNO with tourist products are a little more expensive and all will deprioritize + throttle speeds. IIJMio used to offer decent service among the MVNO options and is sold at Bic/Yodobashi for those who want to walk into a store and get help from a human. Not everyone is great at sim swapping and top up services.
That help is not free. Posted prices (in English/Chinese) for such service varies between 1000 - 2000 yen at these 2 chains.
mhrb likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:41 am

Everywhere I read about travel to Japan people rave about incredibly expensive "pocket wifis".

1. Why are these considered a novelty when they've existed everywhere else in the world for over a decade?
2. Why do people rent them for $$$ when you can buy one to keep for $20?
3. Why on earth do people not just buy a prepaid SIM like in, oh I don't know, every other country in the world?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mhrb
Everywhere I read about travel to Japan people rave about incredibly expensive "pocket wifis".

1. Why are these considered a novelty when they've existed everywhere else in the world for over a decade?
3. Why on earth do people not just buy a prepaid SIM like in, oh I don't know, every other country in the world?
There is also the insurance opportunity for rental firms. Likewise, I have come across airbnbs that provide a free unit but would penalize guests $hundreds if it is lost or damaged.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:00 am

Did you find a model which works for Japan for $20 which accepts a Japanese MVNO sim and supports several Japanese LTE bands? The least expensive I've seen is probably this NEC model https://www.amazon.co.jp/NEC%E3%83%9...E9DZ6RQH8DZ8DM

Japanese major telcos are not in and out affairs from what I hear. The inconvenience of paperwork, not prepaid for tourists without residency, and language barrier make it simpler for non-technical people to rent a hotspot. They're also cheaper when renting from nearby countries. Klook lists several pickup options - https://www.klook.com/en-US/wifi-sim...gion=26-Japan&
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Did you find a model which works for Japan for $20 which accepts a Japanese MVNO sim and supports several Japanese LTE bands? The least expensive I've seen is probably this NEC model https://www.amazon.co.jp/NEC%E3%83%9...E9DZ6RQH8DZ8DM

Japanese major telcos are not in and out affairs from what I hear. The inconvenience of paperwork, not prepaid for tourists without residency, and language barrier make it simpler for non-technical people to rent a hotspot. They're also cheaper when renting from nearby countries. Klook lists several pickup options - https://www.klook.com/en-US/wifi-sim...gion=26-Japan&
https://willmyphonework.net/ seems to suggest easy LTE band compatibility. How can a SIM not be accepted?!

Almost any $20 Android phone is a portable hotspot too. And that still leaves issue 3.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:01 pm

Where do you buy un-throttled, quasi-unlimited data SIM valid for Japan to put in your $20 gadget? All the rental pocket WiFi's have that.

Granted most travelers do not need that much data at those speeds.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
Where do you buy un-throttled, quasi-unlimited data SIM valid for Japan to put in your $20 gadget? All the rental pocket WiFi's have that.

Granted most travelers do not need that much data at those speeds.
I guess you just buy enough data necessary for your needs at a fraction of the cost of the rentals? Looks like plenty of options around 3500JPY. And then save $20 by just putting it in your normal phone.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:22 pm

>> Looks like plenty of options around 3500JPY

For each of those SIMs purchased in Japan, you spend 15 minutes to register and activate. Oh darn... data ran out while streaming. Let me stop everything, switch SIM and activate, and re-start.

All these SIMs are throttled severely during the day.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
>> Looks like plenty of options around 3500JPY

For each of those SIMs purchased in Japan, you spend 15 minutes to register and activate. Oh darn... data ran out while streaming. Let me stop everything, switch SIM and activate, and re-start.

All these SIMs are throttled severely during the day.
Okay, I lose 15 mins. I can deal with that. It's not hard to buy sufficient data in the first place. Anyway, plenty seem to have worldwide shipping so that's not the case with them. Once activated, why would you need to stop anything?

And I only see throttling on OCN and U-Mobile. Do ALL of Mobal, Simcard Geek, R Mobile, Rakuten, BIC, Yodobashi, etc. really have throttling?!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I've never gotten one, but some people seem to like them. What's the harm in people liking whatever they like?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by angra
I've never gotten one, but some people seem to like them. What's the harm in people liking whatever they like?
Nothing. Maybe it's the better option. That's why I'm asking

It's just Japan is the only country I've ever seen these be a recommended thing.

In pretty much every other country in the world you just pop a local PAYG SIM in your phone and are good to go.

I'm simply trying to work out why this is not the case in Japan and instead people choose to spend almost $80 a month on a "pocket wifi" instead. And also why they call it that instead of their usual name.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:16 pm

You're approaching the question with a surprising amount of hostility, IMO. People can make decisions you consider suboptimal and that doesn't mean they're stupid.

Pocket Wifi operators have good advertising, Japan is a country where English is not enough for complicated processes like purchasing and activating a SIM card, pocket wifi can be used with more than one device, Pocket Wifi operators advertise to English-speakers who traditionally had SIM-locked devices, replacing the SIM card in your phone requires a tool and APN settings, historically Japanese networks were incompatible with foreign devices (especially for high speed data), etc...

There's a million reasons why people choose to use these services and the biggest one is likely marketing; getting a SIM as a tourist used to be basically impossible, so Pocket Wifi became a thing and is now a thing from everyone else. If a PAYG SIM works for you, then use it – I'm using one from Starhub (Airalo) right now and it's fine. But it's not ideal for everyone, and certainly not as plug-and-play as "connect your iPads, phones, and game consoles all to this same hotspot."
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
You're approaching the question with a surprising amount of hostility, IMO. People can make decisions you consider suboptimal and that doesn't mean they're stupid.

Pocket Wifi operators have good advertising, Japan is a country where English is not enough for complicated processes like purchasing and activating a SIM card, pocket wifi can be used with more than one device, Pocket Wifi operators advertise to English-speakers who traditionally had SIM-locked devices, replacing the SIM card in your phone requires a tool and APN settings, historically Japanese networks were incompatible with foreign devices (especially for high speed data), etc...

There's a million reasons why people choose to use these services and the biggest one is likely marketing; getting a SIM as a tourist used to be basically impossible, so Pocket Wifi became a thing and is now a thing from everyone else. If a PAYG SIM works for you, then use it – I'm using one from Starhub (Airalo) right now and it's fine. But it's not ideal for everyone, and certainly not as plug-and-play as "connect your iPads, phones, and game consoles all to this same hotspot."
Zero hostility, just curiosity. And nobody has called anyone stupid so no idea where that's coming from.

Point remains that Japan is completely unique afaik regarding this. And there's equal language barrier in dozens of other countries so am unable to see the relevance of that.

Likewise, I don't know anyone who travels with a sim locked device. Even if people do, again that's not remotely unique to Japan. And, for what it's worth, I've spent well over 12 months abroad over the last few years meeting tons of travellers every day and literally not a single one travelling outside of Japan have used a pocket WiFi over a local sim in their own phone. Apn settings also not relevant to why this happens only in Japan so another point I can't see the relevance of (especially since it's been transparent to the user for years now).

SIM lock, tools (paperclip you mean), apn settings, language - none of these are untrue in all the countries that aren't Japan.

Marketing is an answer to what I was curious about. But then, I guess, that simply changes the question to why are the companies able to persuade people to use a pocket WiFi in Japan but the marketing hasn't been successful in all the other non English speaking tourist destinations in the world?

I find it interesting but very curious because I can't what's special about the Japan situation.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Zero hostility, just curiosity. And nobody has called anyone stupid so no idea where that's coming from.

Point remains that Japan is completely unique afaik regarding this. And there's equal language barrier in dozens of other countries so am unable to see the relevance of that.

Likewise, I don't know anyone who travels with a sim locked device. Even if people do, again that's not remotely unique to Japan. And, for what it's worth, I've spent well over 12 months abroad over the last few years meeting tons of travellers every day and literally not a single one travelling outside of Japan have used a pocket WiFi over a local sim in their own phone. Apn settings also not relevant to why this happens only in Japan so another point I can't see the relevance of (especially since it's been transparent to the user for years now).

SIM lock, tools (paperclip you mean), apn settings, language - none of these are untrue in all the countries that aren't Japan.

Marketing is an answer to what I was curious about. But then, I guess, that simply changes the question to why are the companies able to persuade people to use a pocket WiFi in Japan but the marketing hasn't been successful in all the other non English speaking tourist destinations in the world?

I find it interesting but very curious because I can't what's special about the Japan situation.
I don't know, but every time I get on an aircraft in a variety of countries, the USA included, and turn on my wifi, I see a good half dozen tourist wifi devices people are carrying around with them. There is nothing inherently complicated buying a tourist SIM in Japan if you know where and how to do it, which is a product of 30-60 minutes of research, but for people traveling in small groups, or those who need their home country numbers to work, but want separate data services, a wifi box is the right way to go. Everyone's situation is unique.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
If you're in a group and staying together, the pocket WiFi is cheaper than individual visitor sims. Data only sims are the only ones basically available to visitors in Japan, which takes voice bundled prepaid cheap sims/plans marketed locally off the table. The visitor market captive to either relatively expensive data sims or pocket WiFi.

That is changing I think, with the use of foreign roaming sims or cheaper data plans (Sprint thanks to their parent led the way for US carriers). The first time we went to Japan, my wife turned on roaming accidentally and it was like a gas pump racking up charges. Last time I went, I used Verizon Travel Pass which was finally available, and cheaper than a sim for a short trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.