Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
For ONE day in Japan, is my best option the Japan Welcome SIM and then use the free slow bandwidth / top it up a little?

Or is there anything else I should consider?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:39 pm

@JordanWalker - you can use the 300MB free from JWow and get additional free data by pre-watching ads with the docomo Japan Welcome SIM. The sim latches to docomo pretty quickly so you should have data by the time you get off the train/bus from the airport (assuming you pickup your sim at the airport).

I'm assuming you're transiting through NRT, HND, or KIX? If you were heading to less touristed places or have a really busy schedule then you'll definitely want a sim card or hotspot rather than relying on wifi. If you're starting/transitting somewhere else in Asia, AIS might be a good option or one of the other Asia roaming sims/hotspots which can be rented in those countries (check the Prepaid Data wikia or Klook).

You could also consider data roaming if it is for a single day and hooking into wifi for the more data intensive stuff. There's wifi in Tokyo train and subway stations these days which you can access with one of the free wifi apps. Most convenience stores also have wifi, too.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html
https://townwifi.jp/index_en.html
wysiwyg and JordanWalker like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
@JordanWalker - you can use the 300MB free from JWow and get additional free data by pre-watching ads with the docomo Japan Welcome SIM. The sim latches to docomo pretty quickly so you should have data by the time you get off the train/bus from the airport (assuming you pickup your sim at the airport).

I'm assuming you're transiting through NRT, HND, or KIX? If you were heading to less touristed places or have a really busy schedule then you'll definitely want a sim card or hotspot rather than relying on wifi. If you're starting/transitting somewhere else in Asia, AIS might be a good option or one of the other Asia roaming sims/hotspots which can be rented in those countries (check the Prepaid Data wikia or Klook).

You could also consider data roaming if it is for a single day and hooking into wifi for the more data intensive stuff. There's wifi in Tokyo train and subway stations these days which you can access with one of the free wifi apps. Most convenience stores also have wifi, too.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html
https://townwifi.jp/index_en.html
Transiting in HND.
I don't think the free wow-j is still available in Tokyo is it? https://wow-j.com/en/sim_wifi/place/#pln-tabs2

I know about the free wifi in subway stations, but there is wifi on the trains too? Honestly I could probably rely on the free wifi's around town for such a short trip, but it's just a bothersome signing in and agreeing each time. So if the price is right, I don't mind picking up an inexpensive sim card that isn't 3000+yen.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
Tried to search but didn’t see mention of the Aerobile Asia-Pacific plus unlimited 15day SIM card? Can be used cross Japan-China-Taiwan ++. Maybe slow in some countries but going to give it a try in the next few weeks across Asia.

Anyone else try this one?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Transiting in HND.
I don't think the free wow-j is still available in Tokyo is it? https://wow-j.com/en/sim_wifi/place/#pln-tabs2

I know about the free wifi in subway stations, but there is wifi on the trains too? Honestly I could probably rely on the free wifi's around town for such a short trip, but it's just a bothersome signing in and agreeing each time. So if the price is right, I don't mind picking up an inexpensive sim card that isn't 3000+yen.
https://wow-j.com/en/feature/jwsim/cp1/ 300MB Still available . No sponsors are offering the free sim for 0 yen in Tokyo but the S package is ~ $10 USD with 0 MB and you can claim the coupon for 300MB high speed data. Play some videos via their portal and you should be able to get it to 400 - 500MB easy.
Get the 1000JPY discount or 300MB NOW!!Don't forget to enter the below coupon code when applying for a Japan Welcome SIM & Wi-Fi.

1000JPY discount PXL37XB6

Extra 300MB DWJEF2GH
Tokyo Monorail lists free wifi on the car & at stations Tokyo Monorail : TOKYO MONORAIL Free Wi-Fi
Keikyu lists wifi at the stations Free Wi-Fi | Useful infomation | Haneda Airport Access Guide

Also check upthread for NYCFlyer10001's post on the premium docomo wifi included with the sim as it authenticates via sim card (no manual password entry). You'll need to setup the profile/ssid, though.

ETA: I believe TownWifi will log into wifi networks for you. They're an independent aggregator of wifi logins/certs & a Japanese company. The other apps are produced by wifi/telco companies. I don't use them to auto-login but I think it is an option.

Last edited by freecia; Oct 22, 2018 at 5:47 pm Reason: wifi login apps
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
https://wow-j.com/en/feature/jwsim/cp1/ 300MB Still available . No sponsors are offering the free sim for 0 yen in Tokyo but the S package is ~ $10 USD with 0 MB and you can claim the coupon for 300MB high speed data. Play some videos via their portal and you should be able to get it to 400 - 500MB easy.
Good to see the sim card has 20 days validity. Enough for both my layovers on my in and outbound.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
If this helps, posting my experience.
  • Bought my Sim2Fly card at AIS Buddy on B1 floor, Suvarnabhumi Station of Airport Rail Link. The difference between AIS Buddy (partner vendor) and the AIS store (at arrivals by Door 7) is that the AIS store only sells activated cards (I thought first I wanted to activate later). Better to buy at AIS if you don't speak Thai as the counter staff there appear fluent in various foreign languages. The AIS Buddy store however has a lot less customer traffic so I was able to ask them to do all the below without being rushed or feeling guilty. I spoke Thai throughout so not sure if English can be used - but I think likely since this is the airport.
  • Asked them to activate card. They take a photo of you and your passport.
  • 399B (inclusive of sim + 4G/8 days Asia package)
  • They said once activated, package has to be used within 60 days
  • Since I did not have an unlocked phone with me (I already have MyAIS/Line apps on my phone and Line Pay set up), I asked salesperson to put sim in her phone while I registered new number to MyAIS app on my phone - requires a OTP (hence needing her to put SIM in her phone).
  • Registered MyAIS successfully, Line Pay transaction 10B also successfull. Do not click link on "Register Rabbit Line Pay" - it does not appear to work on my Line since my Line number is USA-based. I have Line Pay and not Rabbit Line Pay. But clicking on Top Up on MyAIS and authenticating each time through Line works.

Hopefully it will work during next trip to Japan (within 60 days)
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I just returned from my first trip using the AIS Sim2Fly card.

Initial activation was fine and smooth - everything just worked.

During my initial 8 day window, I set up Line Pay and tested it by sending a 10 THB top up.

When my 8 days were up, I attempted to perform a 300 THB top-up via Line Pay, and Line Pay declined the transaction, for my security.

With some experimenting, I found that 40 THB was the largest payment I could make via Line Pay. So, I made 7 of those and 1 more 10 THB and then was able to purchase another 8 days.

Posting data in case other readers come across similar issues.
freecia likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by angra

When my 8 days were up, I attempted to perform a 300 THB top-up via Line Pay, and Line Pay declined the transaction, for my security.

With some experimenting, I found that 40 THB was the largest payment I could make via Line Pay. So, I made 7 of those and 1 more 10 THB and then was able to purchase another 8 days.

I should have read your post earlier.

I also got the same error and eventually did multiple 40 THB top ups. The error message is silly as they ask you to contact LINE Pay Customer Care. Uh... there is no customer care anywhere!

I have 2 SIMs to do. For the second one, I used mobiletopup dot com . They charge 5% so it's not outrageoous. Top up is almost instant so that's a good alternative if you don't want to go through the 40 THB routine multiple times.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:53 pm

Line pay charges credit card directly/individually right?

How do they make money after the transaction fees? 40thb is like 1usd?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
yes it showed up on my CC statement as 7 separate $1.29 or whatever transactions.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:50 pm

Wasnt able to get line to work properly

(Myais only showed rabbit line option, which gets directed to the line app. tried different amounts but couldn't get it to work)

Topped up via mobiletop .com, 5% fee (thanks @beep88)

Going to keep my ais sim active, various friends going to Asia next year.

​​​​​​ no negative experience and cheaper than Bmobile sim that I used last year (3000 yen 5GB 21 days)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:56 pm

Since we sort of are using this thread to discuss international travel in general, a note that T-Mobile's eSIM "solution" is only to allow the creation of new prepaid lines on eSIM and everybody else is left in the cold.

Might be useful for people with iPhones who are coming to the US, but for everyone else, kind of serves no point.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/365357/ex...s-esim-app-for
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
That may be the case, but there's another eSIM solution on the table. Looks like 3HK is selling a roaming eSIM online for HK$138, includes 10 days unlimited data in select Asian (includes Japan) and European countries as well as US and Canada, and it does not have to be consecutive as long as it's used within 90 days of activation. There's also the ability to top up and buy another day for HK$15 each or 10 for HK$138 after the initial 10 days are used up, which is nice.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
In HK they are promoting airSIM, handing out flyers in Central.

"free" with initial purchase of 200 / 300HKD, or 120HKD with 100 credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.