Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Insert Sim2Fly in the phone and it works. Card purchased from Amazon Japan is already activated, and registered to the seller "Wise Corporation" in my case.

>> I've entered the codes for reactivation

What exactly? If you mean *111*354# then no you should not. If the system is reasonably robust (which is often not the case with this provider AIS), it should not have any ill effect.
onebagtraveller likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
Log in to the app, click on the box that says "Balance ??.00 Baht" -> click check box for "Rabbit LINE Pay" , pick a top up amount , click NEXT -> "Summary of top up" click OK
Do you happen to know if the AIS & Line app have to be on the same phone which has an active AIS sim? Or can I also top up (ie family) AIS sims while they're not inserted in my phone and my current phone also has a non-AIS sim (like if I wanted to add credit to keep it alive while outside one of the covered domestic/roaming countries)?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:46 pm

Insert Sim2Fly in the phone and it works. Card purchased from Amazon Japan is already activated, and registered to the seller "Wise Corporation" in my case.

>> I've entered the codes for reactivation

What exactly? If you mean *111*354# then no you should not. If the system is reasonably robust (which is often not the case with this provider AIS), it should not have any ill effect.

Yes I meant those reactivation codes - I didn't know if there was an initial activation code to use in the dialer after inserting a new SIM.

Thank you for confirming it works just by inserting the new SIM into phone. Yes this was a card from Amazon Japan and purchased for a friend so I wanted to make sure it worked for them right away.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
What does the code *111*354# do?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are there any short term 1-3 day relatively cheap data packages with Asia roaming to add to the SIM once the initial 8 day package has expired? I need to add about another 1-2 days of data, whether by time or by amount of GB. I see lots of different packages on the AIS app, but it's not clear if they include roaming or are for intra-Thailand use only.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
What does the code *111*354# do?
You get the 4 GB package for Asia & Australia valid 8 days.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are there any short term 1-3 day relatively cheap data packages with Asia roaming to add to the SIM once the initial 8 day package has expired? I need to add about another 1-2 days of data, whether by time or by amount of GB. I see lots of different packages on the AIS app, but it's not clear if they include roaming or are for intra-Thailand use only.
According to the website you get 1 GB for 2 days valid within Asia and Australia. Code *111*356#
bocastephen and wysiwyg like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by freecia
Do you happen to know if the AIS & Line app have to be on the same phone which has an active AIS sim? Or can I also top up (ie family) AIS sims while they're not inserted in my phone and my current phone also has a non-AIS sim (like if I wanted to add credit to keep it alive while outside one of the covered domestic/roaming countries)?
I top up on the AIS app installed on my regular phone. My AIS SIMs are in other travel phones.

AIS app set up requires SMS to the SIM for the 1 time pass code. If you switch account(AIS phone #) on the app, you'll need that SMS verification again. So yes you can use the app on a single phone to top up different SIMs, but you need to be able to receive SMS on those SIMs, on the same or a different phone.

The AIS SIM is global roaming. Even though the one I bought came with Asian plan, I can still receive SMS in Canada and got verification code for log-in.

If you are not switching AIS login phone number on the app, you can use the app to top up from anywhere with internet connection.

Oh almost forgot. You can actually add multiple AIS numbers to the app. So once it's been set up you can top up different SIMs using the app on 1 phone. No verification SMS required.
freecia likes this.

Last edited by beep88; Oct 19, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Daytona
Docomo is running some promotions for their prepaid SIM:
- (Available to everyone) SIM validity is now 20 days instead of 15 days
Docomo also added docomo wifi access to the Docomo Japan Visitor Sim. https://wow-j.com/en/sim_wifi/spec/#a-about

I top up on the AIS app installed on my regular phone. My AIS SIMs are in other travel phones.

AIS app set up requires SMS to the SIM for the 1 time pass code. If you switch account(AIS phone #) on the app, you'll need that SMS verification again. So yes you can use the app on a single phone to top up different SIMs, but you need to be able to receive SMS on those SIMs, on the same or a different phone.

The AIS SIM is global roaming. Even though the one I bought came with Asian plan, I can still receive SMS in Canada and got verification code for log-in.

If you are not switching AIS login phone number on the app, you can use the app to top up from anywhere with internet connection.

Oh almost forgot. You can actually add multiple AIS numbers to the app. So once it's been set up you can top up different SIMs using the app on 1 phone. No verification SMS required.
Thanks for the clarification! This really helps. My travel connectivity setup is similar - regular + travel phones. It won't be necessary to migrate Line app over to travel phones.

Side observation: AIS Sim2Fly wouldn't be a good choice for keeping alive on a standalone iPad/current android tablet with data only LTE as they don't receive sms or have dialers to add data packages. Bring an unlocked phone if setting up while traveling or buy a few sims to cover the trip duration if needed.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Docomo also added docomo wifi access to the Docomo Japan Visitor Sim. https://wow-j.com/en/sim_wifi/spec/#a-about
This is especially useful because it provides access to the 0001docomo SSID, which includes the good "premium" Docomo hotspots including ones on the Shinkansen and in other tourist type spots too.

Additionally, the 0001docomo SSID uses the SIM to authenticate, so you don't need to key in passwords when you roam between hotspots. Access to that Wi-Fi network alone is worth the price of admission IMO, especially with the $10 discount.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:37 pm

When I tried to set up the myAIS account, it went to some part of the process that asked me to select a "post paid" number and then said I had to be registered or something to be able to do that. Is there a specific way I should be setting up the account or a set-up guide I could follow? I went to create an account with the mobile number and one time password it provided and it only went through the 2nd step I think before saying I couldn't continue.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:09 am

Hi Onoade,

Did you ever get your Bmobile card to work? If so, what was the cause and solution? More for the benefit of others on this thread who may run into a similar situation.

thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:41 am

Sadly, no. I returned it to Amazon for a refund. We're not sure what the issue was - the activation instructions on the website, which were presumably up to date, gave us the same issues. Perhaps it was expired?

I got an IIJ one instead which works very well.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by onoade
When I tried to set up the myAIS account, it went to some part of the process that asked me to select a "post paid" number and then said I had to be registered or something to be able to do that. Is there a specific way I should be setting up the account or a set-up guide I could follow? I went to create an account with the mobile number and one time password it provided and it only went through the 2nd step I think before saying I couldn't continue.
I can't remember the specific steps, but I took care of this today. I believe I went into the app via wifi (my data ran out), entered my phone number and was sent a SMS with a one-time code to get into the app and my account. Once there, I changed the password and enabled touch ID access - I assume this step should prevent the need from getting a one-time password in the future and I can just go directly into the app and do top-ups and purchases even if the SIM is out of the phone.

From there I used Line Pay via the top-up link to add THB100, then another THB20, and redeemed a 2 day, 1GB data extension which seemed to also update the SIM expiry date to January 2019. I assume going forward, with each top up of THB10 in the future, the SIM expiry will get pushed out further in the future until I need to make a larger top-up and re-activate a roaming data plan for the next trip.
freecia likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by onoade
Sadly, no. I returned it to Amazon for a refund. We're not sure what the issue was - the activation instructions on the website, which were presumably up to date, gave us the same issues. Perhaps it was expired?

I got an IIJ one instead which works very well.
That’s too bad. Bmobile has always worked fine for me, but I always got it directly from their site, so came pre-activated. I’m going to try an AIS card this time, because I’m traveling to multiple countries, so it may be more cost effective. Crossing my fingers
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:12 pm

Thanks for the tips on myAIS! Got it to work by logging in (rather than creating an account) and using the OTP.

However, LINE pay is now declining all my cards or transactions "for my safety" so I guess this wasn't destined to work out! Perhaps I'll be able to pick another one up somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.