Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
UMobile update - the kiosks (cash only) are available to the far left when you exit customs (Terminal 1). Look at the Narita Express/Hotel bus desks, turn left and walk all the way down the hall until you see the machine. Right before the machines, hidden behind the escalator is a 7-11 bank ATM for taking out money to buy the card. The blue UMobile machine is next to the far more expensive Docomo version, but UMobile also runs on the Docomo network, just with 4G instead of LTE.

Speed and coverage were perfectly fine for most needs including VOIP, and the 200MB daily cap is a huge benefit vs the far more expensive cards with 100MB caps.
Thank you so much for the update! So the official shop listed for them on the umobile website is no longer an option and only the kiosk is available? Nano size SIMs available that you recall? Were the APN settings clearly and accurately (actually valid?) stated on the packaging? 30 day ones available and pricing just like on the website?
https://umobile.jp/d/lp/prepaid/eng.html

Correction---sorry, I am looking for KIX (Osaka Airport) info instead of Narita :-(

Last edited by luv2fly4free; Nov 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I've never succeeded at finding umobile at the airport. I've always ended up picking it up at yodoboashi the next day.

PS bmobile going ok so far. I like the much more flexible cap and cheaper price. I've had a couple of coverage gaps, but I've been in places new to me, so I don't know if umobile would have been better.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:40 am

Thank you, they do seem to be the cheapest option, but I don't remember ever seeing their SIMs for sale either at Narita phone counters, or remember seeing their vending machines in Terminal 1. I guess I will have to check carefully this week.
U-mobile looks interesting and their web site says they are available at Haneda Airport but the outlet they name appears nowhere on the HND site. Has anyone managed to purchase on arrival there, and if so where?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Thank you so much for the update! So the official shop listed for them on the umobile website is no longer an option and only the kiosk is available? Nano size SIMs available that you recall? Were the APN settings clearly and accurately (actually valid?) stated on the packaging? 30 day ones available and pricing just like on the website?
https://umobile.jp/d/lp/prepaid/eng.html

Correction---sorry, I am looking for KIX (Osaka Airport) info instead of Narita :-(
The official shop list is still valid, kiosk is just an option. The SIM card (nano is available) packet has detailed instructions on setting up the APN including how to download one to your iPhone if you can't edit the settings manually.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:51 am

The official shop list is still valid, kiosk is just an option. The SIM card (nano is available) packet has detailed instructions on setting up the APN including how to download one to your iPhone if you can't edit the settings manually.
How about at KIX? Knowledge of the kiosk or shop location that carries it?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
How about at KIX? Knowledge of the kiosk or shop location that carries it?
That part I don't know - can you write the company and ask where the kiosk is located?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:53 pm

That part I don't know - can you write the company and ask where the kiosk is located?
The content I have found online indicates it is likely found in 1F:
http://japanshopping.org/archives/shop/5333
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/service/rental/

However, I also see a Terminal 2 mention (Also alongside 1F) at the bottom...

They don't mention a kiosk however. It looks like you can only call the above shop domestically for some reason to verify the details. :-(
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by angra
PS bmobile going ok so far. I like the much more flexible cap and cheaper price. I've had a couple of coverage gaps, but I've been in places new to me, so I don't know if umobile would have been better.
Is it the unlimited one? Bmobile uses Docomo so coverage is same as most other prepaid SIMs.

Can you do some speed tests at various times of the day, if you're still using it?

Beware that it does use up to 80MB of data if the speed is high. Thanks.

I was using So-Net and Yodobashi over the last few weeks. Both run on Docomo but the yodobashi SIM had really awful speeds. It is cheap but won't buy again.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:58 pm

Yep it's the "unlimitted" one. For the record, there is a soft-cap at 1GB over 3 calendar days in the fine print.

I'm near the end of my trip, so I'll try a speed test or two. I'm in Tokyo today, but might go to five lakes later.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:10 pm

I'm going to give the B Mobile SIM a try when I get back to Tokyo after next week...has anyone tried setting up an iPhone hotspot with this SIM? I recall being able to do that with the U Mobile SIM, but not sure about the B Mobile version.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:45 pm

1 down, 0.5 up from kawaguchiko just now.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:17 am

has anyone tried setting up an iPhone hotspot with this SIM? I recall being able to do that with the U Mobile SIM, but not sure about the B Mobile version.
Every Japanese data SIM I have used supports hotspot sharing, including older versions of B Mobile.

Originally Posted by angra
1 down, 0.5 up from kawaguchiko just now.
Thanks. Speeds at places like Kawaguchiko will be a bit slower. Those using cheap pocket wifi don't even get coverage there.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
Thanks. Speeds at places like Kawaguchiko will be a bit slower. Those using cheap pocket wifi don't even get coverage there.
right - I was surprised the numbers were so low, as I was able to do everything that I wanted with my phone without any trouble at all.

I'm going to Tokorozawa-shi later today and I'll do a test there, then a test from Downtown tokyo later or tomorrow when I'm closer to leaving.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:51 pm

Tried tokorozawa, shinjuku and just now at haneda - never went above about 2 down and 0.5 up.

Last edited by angra; Nov 13, 2016 at 10:53 pm
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:06 pm

Thanks. So it is a basic unlimited card for those who don't stream or download much. A good value card for true tourists. VoIP may be iffy and video calling is probably out.

Cheaper and apparently better than the more expensive Yodobashi card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.