Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Read again.

Bottom line: You get what you pay for. If it is cheaper, there is a reason. Not everyone needs the fastest speed, or no daily throttling. Only you know what download speeds are acceptable to you.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I had econnect Data sims in the past and had very good experiences.That said their sim cards offers don't fit my needs for an upcoming trip. The b-mobile offer seems to be better value for that trip.

My questions are:
1) Is B-mobile as reliable as econnect (in terms of airport pick-up)
2) Am I reading this correctly that B-mobile uses NTT docomo networks and is thus
a) identical in terms of coverage, download-speed, etc.
b) has the same requirements for the phone to work?
Old May 9, 2017, 11:41 am

Had B-Mobile 5GB and So-Net 2GB(Amazon) on 2 iPhones for 2 weeks.

Coverage and Signal identical as both are on NTT Docomo.

Speeds: more or less similar, doing side-by-side download tests. Sometimes B-Mobile is even faster.

Lag: B-mobile - when starting up a connection after a long period of inactivity, it might take a few seconds for it to go. This happened ~50% of the time.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Ended up ordering the B-mobile SIM card and picked it up at the post office at Narita last month. Came pre-activated and just loaded the profile onto my iPhone using the wifi onboard the NEX on my way to Tokyo. No issues whatsoever during my week in Japan. 2nd time using them and still recommend them. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I did a b-mobile preordered pickup on my last trip as well and it was pleasingly smooth. I had them send it to my hotel. I did bmobile (not preorder, purchased at yodobashi) for the first time on my previous trip and spent a good half hour (hey, I'm slow) getting it properly configured to work. preconfig is nice.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:19 pm
wpc

Originally Posted by transparent
I also think the recharge option is egregious-- 500jpy for 1GB that's only good for one day is quite expensive, I'd rather pay 1000jpy for 1GB that will last a week, although you can recharge up to 10 times. I guess whether you recharge or just buy a new one depends on how many more days you need.
I think you misunderstand how the recharge works. It adds 1GB to your limit so the 5GB SIM is now a 6GB sim. It also adds a day so the 21 day limit goes to 22 days. So you add 1 more usable day and 1 more GB of data. It's super cheap compared to any other prepaid sim provider
Old May 15, 2017, 5:07 pm

1GB for 500yen is cheap. 1 day for 500 yen is not.

If I want it for 30 days, it's going to cost 4500 to recharge for a total 9000 yen.

Most travellers don't need 14 GB for a month. Just saying.

If you buy a new one instead, you get a total of 10 GB for 42 days @ 7000yen
Old May 22, 2017, 2:20 am
wpc

Originally Posted by beep88
1GB for 500yen is cheap. 1 day for 500 yen is not.

If I want it for 30 days, it's going to cost 4500 to recharge for a total 9000 yen.

Most travellers don't need 14 GB for a month. Just saying.

If you buy a new one instead, you get a total of 10 GB for 42 days @ 7000yen
true, but there are rare occasions where it makes sense. my brother in law is headed to japan for 23 days and is willing to pay the additional 10000 yen for the 2 additional days and 2GB of data per sim.
Which is still a lot cheaper per gb compared to some other providers.

But I get your point. most people only recharge to add more data for the same time frame they have the sim.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Will the U-Mobile SIM card work on Okinawa?

The last time I visited Tokyo I bought this 7 day U-Mobile SIM card and it worked well:

https://umobile.jp/lp/prepaid_eng

I plan to return in a month or so and visit Tokyo, Osaka and Okinawa. If I buy this type of SIM card again will it work on Okinawa? If not, is there a better short term SIM card that will cover all three areas? Thanks.

Last edited by jphripjah; May 23, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Where in Okinawa are you visiting? Okinawa prefecture consists form 363 islands and out of those 49 islands are inhabited.

Alright, assuming you will be visiting main island of Okinawa where city if Naha is located, U-Mobile website clearly states that data communication service is provided by NTT Docomo’s XI and FOMA coverage.

So, you can look up NTT Docomo website and find out coverage in Okinawa, and on main island of Okinawa about 80% of island is covered by NTT Docomo FOMA service.

Does this answer your question? Those answers were available from the website…
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:45 am

Japan: Free Tourist SIM card

Just make sure fellow flyertalkers see this

https://docomo.prepaid-sim.jp/lp/index.html

Domoco is giving away free tourist SIM.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
With a referral bonus... Time for the first ever Japan Forum Conga?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
100MB may be interesting for brief stays but that's not going to help me much given that I use on average at least 2GB per month, but have peaks with 25GB in tethering.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:02 pm

Well it has these exclusive features:

"multi-cut SIM" and "APN setting is unnecessary"

I know why APN setting is required on the MVNO, but why no multi-SIM for them?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't think a multi-cut SIM is an exclusive feature. Just about all SIM cards can be bought in multiple sizes (regular, mini, nano) assuming that's what they mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.