Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I did VOIP a couple of times with no problem, and one video call out of two attempts.

I'd say your characterization is fair. They do have a 1GB/3 day soft cap, so significant streaming would probably not be feasible anyway.

It's also possible (I suppose) that I was limited in some way by my phone - an American Nexus 6P.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just finished a few days with the BMobile sim and can compare it accurately with the UMobile sim.

Umobile is definitely a faster option and offers LTE, but has the 200MB/day cap which makes it fairly useless for most unless you're just checking emails, Google maps, etc. UMobile sim cards are sold from vending machines, which makes them an easier buy when you arrive.

Bmobile sim only offers 4G, but I found their speeds to be fairly decent within Tokyo. I was able to tether, do Facetime calls from various locations, upload photos to FB, IG, etc. I hit the 1GB limit right at 2.5 days and they throttled me from that point with the only option being a new sim from a different provider to get my full speed data back. Bmobile sim cards are only ordered online in advance and picked up from the airport post office.

It's really a tradeoff between the two - either more data or more speed, otherwise the two products are essentially a wash.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Bmobile sim cards are only ordered online in advance and picked up from the airport post office.
Only available online if wanting to pick it up at the airport, right?

Appreciate the review between the two. I found Bmobile on the racks at BIC Camera so ended up with that, and using it only really for maps and web searches, didn't test it to the limits but it worked for us. I did see that Bmobile is rolling out a new 5GB/21 day/JPY3480 visitor sim on Dec 2.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Only available online if wanting to pick it up at the airport, right?...
Yes, correct - there is an option to just use the free JR East wifi on the NEX train and in the stations until you get near a BIC or BMobile shop to buy the SIM in-town. I prefer to have everything setup before I leave the airport, so I ordered in advance.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:48 pm

FREETEL SIM card

Umobile for 14-30 days was what I was planning to buy upon landing into Kansai. End result- no umobile SIM card at KIX airport after checking ALL of the staffed vendors and all of the kiosks. Their website says they offer this SIM at a particular shop at KIX but that was not true once there. I even had some local scouts and a concierge service checking this out in advance and they also verified prior to my personal verification upon arriving that it wasn't available at KIX any longer. An elusive bird at Kansai... :-(

Prices of SIMs at the airport also seemed to be above market averages in the camera stores for prepaid visitor SIMs.

I ended up with a SIM purchased in Osaka at Yodobashi Camera. There was a place I found out about in advance that supposedly sells umobile prepaid SIMs in the city but they have absurdly limited business hours and are DEEPLY INSIDE a building with a million small storefronts/offices and even locals can't locate it. I wouldn't even consider that honestly in Osaka.

Even Yodobashi (basically like the Best Buy++ electronics superstore of Japan) in Osaka doesn't have that many options for visitor prepaid SIMs. The best "value" option I could find for my over 14 day stay was a 30 day SIM with 2GB of data that includes "free data access" for facebook, line, whatsapp, etc. messaging apps. However, I couldn't really see that it wasn't counting those apps' usage between their website data usage meter and my phone's usage counter. The SIM cost me 3,000 Yen out the door looking at my credit card statement. It is by "Freetel" and works on the dominant Japanese mobile network - NTT DOCOMO. Good points- I was all over Japan, from a few hours north of Tokyo all the way down to Nagasaki in the south with many rural points in between. I had nearly flawless coverage everywhere, even in subways. There were some brief dead spots on the Shinkansen in the tunnels but I noticed locals losing signal there as well, so I think that is likely universal. I was using a North American CDMA/GSM iPhone 7 and it showed 4G on the screen most of the time. Speeds were very fast and pages loaded nearly instantly and voip worked perfectly with multiple voip-capable apps. It was generally faster than my 4G/LTE in the States in almost all cases. I would not hesitate procuring this SIM if you want fast, reliable service throughout Japan with almost ZERO dead spots. However, the biggest issue is the limited 2GB of data (can top up 500MB more of high speed data for a surcharge I believe once you hit the throttled data at 2GB and after). I BARELY made it within the cap. I carefully used wifi in my hotels and in restaurants or tourist attractions to save on data when uploading large photos or similar. For Google Maps and browsing and some messaging (without a ton of pics/videos), 2GB might very well be sufficient for many users, although close for a couple weeks or more. The added perk of no data being counted when using the messaging apps sounds nice in theory, but in my case, I couldn't really tell that it was truly granting me a grace usage count when using their advertised "no data penalty" messaging apps.

Not dirt cheap (but better than many prepaid options you will find), not ripoff high priced, not a lot of data offered before throttling, but fast and very reliable are my final thoughts on this option.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:31 pm

A brand new option

I can't vouch for the quality of the offering personally but this seems to be a decent amount of data (5GB for 21 days) for the price without throttling or capping per day. It is apparently a brand new visitor SIM option from b-mobile.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

I read about this on the prepaid wikia page comments for Japan. It was also alluded to by rustykettel above. Either way, it is definitely available. See the link I provided in this post.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:18 pm

They still have the same limitation of 1GB/3 days as before, though.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/faq.html:
"JCI reserves the right to restrict the data transmission speed for customers who have used more than approximately 1000MB over three consecutive days."
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:07 pm

Were you able to get any info for a SIM at KIX?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by SusanC23
Were you able to get any info for a SIM at KIX?
Info regarding? There are multiple SIMs available at the airport, including at self-service kiosks. The question is whether they are worth getting...availability isn't an issue though if that is your concern.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Info regarding? There are multiple SIMs available at the airport, including at self-service kiosks. The question is whether they are worth getting...availability isn't an issue though if that is your concern.
Wasn't sure if there was one better than another.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Any experiences with the eConnect Zen SIM? It's available on Amazon, looks like you pay $6.99 for the SIM without any credit/plan, then through their app you can buy a plan. 500mb/7 days for 900jpy, 1gb/15 days 1500jpy, 2gb/30 days 2500jpy, 3gb/30 3500jpy and 5gb/30 5500jpy. Once expired or used up, you can add another plan.

Seems to be decently priced at the lower plans, especially 1 or 2gb, and it's available for prime shipping. Appears to be docomo network.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
It's not cheaper than the best (i.e. SO-Net , 3120 yen 2 GB) so I wouldn't bother with eConnect.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Where do you see the prices for So-net? I only see the 3 packages, but no prices. Also, are the cards easily available (in stock) at all these locations? I remember seeing somewhere that nano sims were hard to find at some retail location, for some provider.

I used b-mobile on a trip back in 2014 in my iPhone 5S at the time. The sim card was delivered to my hotel prior to my arrival. I had no issues at all with them. Was a breeze to setup.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by beep88
It's not cheaper than the best (i.e. SO-Net , 3120 yen 2 GB) so I wouldn't bother with eConnect.
True, the zen SIM appears to be about $1.75 more, but is easily topped up and can be bought prior to landing in Japan (avoiding the hunt)... but I guess nobody's tried it? Won't have time this trip to get the Zen anyway, will look for SO-Net or bmobile traveler SIM depending on how much data I need.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Point being SO-net is the best visitor data card on the market, in terms of reliability, download speed, and non-throttled use.

SO-net can be easily topped up. Can be bought prior to landing on Amazon Japan, delivered to your hotel or a convenience store (including those located in selected airports).

eConnect used to re-sell B-Mobile at 30% more and called it their own.

B-Mobile is one of the worst value these days. Used them between 2011 - 2014 as they were the only card available, with deteriorating download speeds every time I purchased one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.