Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beep88
This last time I used Sim2Fly. Ordered on Amazon Japan that arrived in a plain envelope by Japan post. It's a slight hassle as I couldn't specify the actual delivery date or ship to a convenience store, but the hotel did hold it for me - I specified check-in date on the delivery address.

~1500 yen Unlimited (4GB at LTE) 8 days roaming SIM valid in Japan and 13 other Asian countries and territories. It runs on Softbank but speed is real LTE and not slow like any Japan tourist SIM cards.

The SIM can also be purchased in HK at Apliu St as well. In fact I first saw people's posts about this on a HK discussion forum.

Another benefit about this SIM is it can be recharged for roaming when, and only when you need it. The SIM must be kept alive - 5 baht (0.15USD) per month. Charging is a bit tricky but possible online with a foreign credit card.
I checked the product on Amazon, and per the listing, it is restricted to 3GB and is thrown away after 7 days - is there a different product or version of this card that is unlimited and can be kept alive indefinitely?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I checked the product on Amazon, and per the listing, it is restricted to 3GB and is thrown away after 7 days - is there a different product or version of this card that is unlimited and can be kept alive indefinitely?
Thailand Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki FANDOM powered by Wikia It can be kept alive with 12 * 10 baht top-ups. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI-9...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:24 am

Question

Point being SO-net is the best visitor data card on the market, in terms of reliability, download speed, and non-throttled use.

SO-net can be easily topped up. Can be bought prior to landing on Amazon Japan, delivered to your hotel or a convenience store (including those located in selected airports).

eConnect used to re-sell B-Mobile at 30% more and called it their own.

B-Mobile is one of the worst value these days. Used them between 2011 - 2014 as they were the only card available, with deteriorating download speeds every time I purchased one.
Hey Beep, I want to order a SIM for my wife who will be going to Japan this Sunday. I want to send it to her hotel, but she's going to be in Japan for 45 days. Do you know if I can order the 60-day So-Net card from amazon? Or do you have another recommendation?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This last time I used Sim2Fly. Ordered on Amazon Japan that arrived in a plain envelope by Japan post. It's a slight hassle as I couldn't specify the actual delivery date or ship to a convenience store, but the hotel did hold it for me - I specified check-in date on the delivery address.

~1500 yen Unlimited (4GB at LTE) 8 days roaming SIM valid in Japan and 13 other Asian countries and territories. It runs on Softbank but speed is real LTE and not slow like any Japan tourist SIM cards.

The SIM can also be purchased in HK at Apliu St as well. In fact I first saw people's posts about this on a HK discussion forum.

Another benefit about this SIM is it can be recharged for roaming when, and only when you need it. The SIM must be kept alive - 5 baht (0.15USD) per month. Charging is a bit tricky but possible online with a foreign credit card.
Sort of feeling adventurous and thinking about ordering the AIS 14 Country card from Amazon.jp and have it delivered to my hotel - 8 days 4 GB for 1450 Yen. Should I try?

Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I have been keeping this card (Sim2Fly) since my trip last October. Top up minimum 5 THB (0.15 USD) to extend 1 month. Can extend up to 12 months at a time based on my research on expat forums. The 2 cards I bought are still active. Cedit card top up through their website or app did not work. Had to use LINE pay with my credit card.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:13 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I have been keeping this card (Sim2Fly) since my trip last October. Top up minimum 5 THB (0.15 USD) to extend 1 month. Can extend up to 12 months at a time based on my research on expat forums. The 2 cards I bought are still active. Cedit card top up through their website or app did not work. Had to use LINE pay with my credit card.
My experiences as well — so far I’ve been quite satisified with this SIM for my travels to the US and throughout Asia. They support multiple roaming carriers but in the US at least T-Mobile seems to be their preferred partner, which meant coverage in some areas was poor/non-existent.

I had been doing top ups via MobileTopup.com but switched to LINE Pay which seems more secure.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:23 pm

Had to use LINE pay with my credit card.
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I had been doing top ups via MobileTopup.com but switched to LINE Pay which seems more secure.
Do you need the myAIS app installed to top up via LINE Pay?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Which countries have you used it in? Any current reports on speed for Taiwan, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

The LINE Pay session is initiated from within myAIS app. I don't believe you can do it via regular web.

>> I had been doing top ups via MobileTopup.com but switched to LINE Pay which seems more secure.

Not to mention the processing fee and minimum recharge with MobileTopup.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:55 pm

Which countries have you used it in? Any current reports on speed for Taiwan, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong?
The few speed tests I did, Mbps up/down

Australia 14.9 / 3.49 (3G) ; 11.3 / 1.38 (3G)
Singapore 13.3 / 6.16
Taiwan 41.8 / 22.7 ; 37.5 / 24.2
Japan 10.8 / 6.34 (~11pm) ; 2.46 / 2.77 (~11 am)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:57 pm

The few speed tests I did, Mbps up/down

Australia 14.9 / 3.49 (3G) ; 11.3 / 1.38 (3G)
Singapore 13.3 / 6.16
Taiwan 41.8 / 22.7 ; 37.5 / 24.2
Japan 10.8 / 6.34 (~11pm) ; 2.46 / 2.77 (~11 am)
Thank you - could you repost the link to Amazon.com (not the .jp site) where you bought this particular SIM - when I search online, I see what appears to be different varieties of these kits and I want to make sure I order the right one.

These are the two I can find, but one is unlimited (although not really because of throttling) for only 13 countries and the other is not unlimited, just 4GB, in 70 countries.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by bocastephen; Aug 21, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:30 pm

It's really the same card, just pre-loaded with either the Asian Country pack (~13 countries) or Worldwide pack (~70 countries), sold at different prices. I bought mine on amazon.jp so don't have any non-JP links.

Both packages include unlimited data, but speed throttled after the advertised amount of 4GB is used up.

So you buy depending on what countries you want to use it for the first time. Note that there is an expiry date on the card. You have to activate it before that date.

Actual, up-to-date product description and country list from official AIS website: The ready-to-use SIM2Fly SIM Roaming

Last edited by beep88; Aug 22, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:51 pm

It's really the same card, just pre-loaded with either the Asian Country pack (~13 countries) or Worldwide pack (~70 countries), sold at different prices. I bought mine on amazon.jp so don't have any non-JP links.

Both packages include unlimited data, but speed throttled after the advertised amount of 4GB is used up.

So you buy depending on what countries you want to use it for the first time. Note that there is an expiry date on the card. You have to activate it before that date.

Actual, up-to-date product description and country list from official AIS website: The ready-to-use SIM2Fly SIM Roaming
Thank you - so if you use up the 4GB within 8 days, you can do a 299 BAHT top-up to recharge another 4GB of data and extend another 8 days? And while back at home, just do the minimum top-up per upthread instructions to keep the SIM alive until it's needed again?

Also can you post the link to Amazon.jp website so I can either match the listing to the USA site, or have a friend in Japan order and send it to me to make sure I get the right one - the regular Amazon site has too many versions of this SIM with mixed reviews, I assume based on the reseller.

Last edited by bocastephen; Aug 22, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:03 pm

That's my understanding of how it works.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00XR5HJHM
bocastephen likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:44 am

I got the Asia/Australia AIS Sim2Fly SIM card when I was in Bangkok. I seem to remember having to show them my passport.

For those buying a new SIM in Japan is there a passport check in the app or at any time during activation?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.