Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
I got the Asia/Australia AIS Sim2Fly SIM card when I was in Bangkok. I seem to remember having to show them my passport.

For those buying a new SIM in Japan is there a passport check in the app or at any time during activation?

Thanks!
I've only used the b-mobile SIM in the past, but that one does require you to enter passport during activation (see Step #5). No passport check during purchase, either at a physical store (Bic Camera) or via Amazon.

ETA: Apologies, realize on rereading that you were asking specifically about the Sim2Fly.
onebagtraveller likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Sep 11, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
I got the Asia/Australia AIS Sim2Fly SIM card when I was in Bangkok. I seem to remember having to show them my passport.

For those buying a new SIM in Japan is there a passport check in the app or at any time during activation?

Thanks!
no.
onebagtraveller likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I used Bmobile both times I’ve been to Japan and it has always been great for me (don’t need passport info if purchased online). Might try AIS this time since I’m going to 3 of their supported countries (Japan, Singapore and Taiwan) and 2x8 day cards might suit me perfectly. Anyone know if they have have an expiry before use (eg how long before can I purchase them?)
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Anyone know if it is possible to get one of the cards preloaded with 8x4/Asia and add/use a different package _before_ using the asia pack?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I used Bmobile both times I’ve been to Japan and it has always been great for me (don’t need passport info if purchased online). Might try AIS this time since I’m going to 3 of their supported countries (Japan, Singapore and Taiwan) and 2x8 day cards might suit me perfectly. Anyone know if they have have an expiry before use (eg how long before can I purchase them?)
I purchased 2 AIS Sim2Fly Asia sims last month and the sticker with phone # & sim # states "Exp. Date 06/2019". I believe this means activate by 6/2019, not end of life if activated. I did ask the eBay seller about the "activate by" date before purchasing so it might be worth asking the seller to avoid a closer-in expiration date.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:25 am

Correct, this should be the activate by date. Thanks, I’ll check with a seller ready to purchase.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:02 am

My flight to KIX (from TPE) lands at 16:00, I'm guessing this is too tight to make it to the post office before it closes at 17:00 to pick up a bmobile SIM? I guess I'll be shipping to the hotel.

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can get a SIM card that works in Japan... in Taipei?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mxqisit
My flight to KIX (from TPE) lands at 16:00, I'm guessing this is too tight to make it to the post office before it closes at 17:00 to pick up a bmobile SIM? I guess I'll be shipping to the hotel.

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can get a SIM card that works in Japan... in Taipei?
Taiwan seems to be fairly close knitted with Japan so I'm sure you can find a Japan Sim locally? I know in Hong Kong you can buy them almost everywhere, so I'd be surprised if they're not available in Taipei

https://www.iij.ad.jp/en/news/pressr...2016/0714.html
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

First time I used Bmobile, I had it shipped to my hotel and it was waiting for me at check in. Japanese are amazing for things like this. I wouldn’t worry, as long as you make sure you use the same name as you use for your hotel reservation and pick the right hotel and address.

As for your alternative question, how about trying the AIS sim? It will work in both countries and this is is what I may try myself.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:06 pm

When I was picking up my Taiwan sim at TPE from Klook I remember seeing they had Japan sim cards available as well. I didn't ask them about it though since I had already ordered a sim through Bmobile for pickup at NRT.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:08 am

First time I used Bmobile, I had it shipped to my hotel and it was waiting for me at check in. Japanese are amazing for things like this. I wouldn’t worry, as long as you make sure you use the same name as you use for your hotel reservation and pick the right hotel and address.

As for your alternative question, how about trying the AIS sim? It will work in both countries and this is is what I may try myself.
I'm in Japan for 11 days. I don't think AIS covers for that long.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:27 am

Ah, no it won’t unless you get multiple.
I’d recommend the hotel delivery then. Otherwise you can always see what you can find uppon arrival at the airport (in stores, booths or vending machines), but with those, you will need to activate with your passport before you can use it.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ah, no it won’t unless you get multiple.
I’d recommend the hotel delivery then. Otherwise you can always see what you can find uppon arrival at the airport (in stores, booths or vending machines), but with those, you will need to activate with your passport before you can use it.
I thought the purpose of getting the AIS SIM is to have something you can continually reload as needed?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:36 pm

From what I read here and my own research on Amazon, the AIS cards can’t be extended. They can be reloaded with additional data, I think, but the process isn’t straightforward. If you need more than 8 days, you need to buy more than one.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:10 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
From what I read here and my own research on Amazon, the AIS cards can’t be extended. They can be reloaded with additional data, I think, but the process isn’t straightforward. If you need more than 8 days, you need to buy more than one.
The SIM2Fly cards absolutely can be extended through top-ups: 30 days per 50 THB, a maximum of 1 year at a time.
bocastephen and wysiwyg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.