Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by alexcr
Thanks! That's the main option I was looking at. Couple questions...

1) How much does it cost to top off if you use all your data? I couldn't figure this out from the website.

2) I think I saw on the website that the plan ends after 20 days. I'm going to be in Japan for about 30 days, so how would I handle this? Would I need to go back and get an entirely new SIM card?

3) Also, with regards to DoCoMo premium Wi-Fi, what do you mean by needing to install the profile? What is that?
1) FAQ under Purchasing Data Credits https://wow-j.com/en/sim_wifi/faq/
"You can buy data in units of 100 MB, 500 MB and 1 GB. 100 MB: 216 yen (incluidng tax), 500 MB: 756 yen (including tax), 1 GB: 1,296 yen (including tax)"

2) Yes, you'd need to go back for another one as the sim will stop working. You could go back earlier than 20 days and cancel the existing sim if you'll be going by a pick-up point.
FAQ a few rows down
"Can I use the service for more than 20 days?
Unfortunately, this is not supported. The SIM cards are valid for 20 days from the day of first use."
"If I want to apply again within 20 days of starting use of the SIM card, what should I do?
We do not accept simultaneous applications; you will have to first cancel your current subscription before applying."
"Can I transfer leftover charges to my next account?
No, you cannot."

3) Wifi Setting
https://wow-j.com/en/sim_wifi/wifisetting/
alexcr likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 31, 2019 at 12:25 am Reason: clarification on expiration
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
still working for me

anyone confirm that it's still topup 299 Bhat for 8 days and 4GB?

various places display 8Day/5GB now for 399 Bhat for the initial SIM, just want to confirm topup still the same

(sellers on amazon/3rd party, ais sim2fly's main site shows 5GB in some places, 4GB in others)
SIM2FLY the best-value roaming SIM for everyone!
i just bought 2 in HK for that sort of prices. 80 hkd for 4GB at 4G speeds then unlimited 3G. not Sim2fly for sure
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by alexcr

I'd ideally like to have unlimited data and speed, and support for iOS's personal hotspot functionality. Voice would be nice-to-have, but it isn't essential - I think I read somewhere that Japan has strict rules against purchasing voice SIM for short periods of time.

Also, are there any particularly convenient and English-friendly shops at the Haneda or Narita airports to get this set up?
The only unlimited-data-at-high-speed option is pocket wifi. No SIM card offers that. And no tourist SIM card has true high speed beyond 3 Mbps during the day.

Higher volume tourist SIM cards include B-Mobile (5GB 21 days) , IIJMIO (3GB 30 days)

All tourist prepaid SIM cards allows tethering (hotspot). Virtually all tourist SIM cards issued in Japan are on DOCOMO. All come with English instruction brochures. Most also have websites with APN set up instructions you can browse before you arrive in Japan.

Both Narita and Haneda websites list shops where you can buy SIM cards. Or check websites of SIM cards for retail outlet locations.

Airport shops (except "Air BIC CAMERA ") are known to sell SIM cards above website prices.
alexcr likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beep88
The only unlimited-data-at-high-speed option is pocket wifi. No SIM card offers that. And no tourist SIM card has true high speed beyond 3 Mbps during the day.

Higher volume tourist SIM cards include B-Mobile (5GB 21 days) , IIJMIO (3GB 30 days)

All tourist prepaid SIM cards allows tethering (hotspot). Virtually all tourist SIM cards issued in Japan are on DOCOMO. All come with English instruction brochures. Most also have websites with APN set up instructions you can browse before you arrive in Japan.

Both Narita and Haneda websites list shops where you can buy SIM cards. Or check websites of SIM cards for retail outlet locations.

Airport shops (except "Air BIC CAMERA ") are known to sell SIM cards above website prices.
we in hkg have a few sims with 4G speeds for something between 2-5Gb and restricted speed after, and 1 with "unlimited 4G data". not that i know if its throttled. most of them are for 7-10 days, costing 10-15usd.
perhaps i could help point some directions if anyone has any interest.

add: Im 99% sure it's this card "Nippon SIM for Japan 8days 3GB 4G/LTE (unlimited at 200kbps after)" that you can find on Amazon, but they have the best network priority in Japan (apparently there are fakes of this card out in the market in HK...) - for some reason I've gotten mine for HKD$80.

Last edited by kaka; Feb 18, 2019 at 2:38 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:59 am

That's why I switched to Sim2Fly, after reading about it on discuss.com.hk

Before that I always used local tourist SIMs, ever since they first came out.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beep88
That's why I switched to Sim2Fly, after reading about it on discuss.com.hk

Before that I always used local tourist SIMs, ever since they first came out.
its 8 continuous days, isnt it? (well, 192 consecutive hours)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paperwastage
still working for me

anyone confirm that it's still topup 299 Bhat for 8 days and 4GB?

various places display 8Day/5GB now for 399 Bhat for the initial SIM, just want to confirm topup still the same

(sellers on amazon/3rd party, ais sim2fly's main site shows 5GB in some places, 4GB in others)
ah. i see that if you activate sim2fly after 9jan2019, you get 5GB regardless on when you've bought it.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by kaka
its 8 continuous days, isnt it? (well, 192 consecutive hours)
It is 192 hours and I can also mention that you need an alternate internet connection in order to activate a new plan, at least from Japan. So, plan ahead - if you arrive and activate in the mid afternoon, the 8 days will also end in the mid afternoon.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by angra
... that you need an alternate internet connection in order to activate a new plan, at least from Japan. ....
To be precise. you need internet connection only to add credits if you use credit card / Line Pay, etc.

You don't actually need internet connection to activate a new plan. It's done by sending a SMS.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:51 pm

Is there an English version of discuss.com.hk ?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Is there an English version of discuss.com.hk ?

Thanks
not really
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:07 am

Did the HK site have any reviews on the Sim2fly sim and Europe ?
It seems to work well in most of Asia which would be expected since it was really set up for Thais that are visiting other Asian Countries ,
The little I have seen about Europe is positive , mostly 4g.
Thanks for your help
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:32 pm
Suspended

It seems to work well in most of Asia which would be expected since it was really set up for Thais that are visiting other Asian Countries ,
Thanks for your help
the market in hk is turning to day-passes which is best for shorter trips for us in asia.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:11 pm

btw, sim2fly added a new option early Feb 2019

Global 70+ countries - 15GB 1 year validity, 2699 baht (according to main website, some others say 2799 baht)

works out to 180baht/GB (or USD 6/GB, EUR 5/GB). worth it for frequent travelers to different countries

EDIT: wonder if you can have a 15GB/1yr package AND a 4GB/8days asia/australia package active at same time (and data used within asia/australia gets deducted on the 4GB side first).

any guinea pigs? otherwise, might make sense to juggle two sims if you travel a lot within asia and outside asia
bocastephen and kaka like this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 21, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:40 pm

Thanks for your help
https://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=27892854
https://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=27485128
https://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=27341546

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.