Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by McG
Think I might have screwed up. Purchased the 20GB eSim from IIJMio, then went to activate it and got a message saying it couldn't be activated after about 10mins - I'm assuming this is because I'm in the UK currently.
Anyone know if it will automatically activate when I land in Japan next month and switch to the IIJMIo Sim?
what kind of phone and how did you attempt to activate it? I was able to activate mine from the US no problem.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:15 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by seigex
what kind of phone and how did you attempt to activate it? I was able to activate mine from the US no problem.
Iphone 13. Scanned the QR code on the website, which then came up with an Activate Now screen on the phone which I selected. Then got a message saying I could continue using my phone. 10 mins later got a message saying sim not activated. It has however populated the IMEI2, ICCID, MEID slots under about and also displays the Japanese Number associated with the sim.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:19 pm

Anybody with recent experience using an Airalo e-SIM in Japan?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Angusgor
Keep me posted on October 1 if you get charged for October . If you paid for 20GB but only have 4GB it looks like they prorated the amount of data you have (like you said) so I am guessing you won't get charged on Oct 1 but on your one month anniversary instead. Doesn't make sense for them to charge you the full amount but only prorate it down to 4. But I wonder how much data they'll give you on Oct 1? Maybe they'll give you 16GB until they bill you again on Oct 25...
FYI, I now show 24GB of data available:

Total remaining capacity 24.00GB
Data remaining for this month (expiration date: October 31, 2022) 20.00GB
Amount of data remaining carried forward last month (expiration date: September 30, 2022) 4.00GB
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by McG
Iphone 13. Scanned the QR code on the website, which then came up with an Activate Now screen on the phone which I selected. Then got a message saying I could continue using my phone. 10 mins later got a message saying sim not activated. It has however populated the IMEI2, ICCID, MEID slots under about and also displays the Japanese Number associated with the sim.
Did you download the profile for IIJMio?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:49 pm
McG

Did you download the profile for IIJMio?
Yes I think so. I followed the link when scanning the QR Code then pressed Activate.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:55 pm
McG

@seigex Fixed the issue. Think I had Turn On This Line to OFF.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
seigex likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by McG
@seigex Fixed the issue. Think I had Turn On This Line to OFF.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Right on.. glad I could help, but it was easy on my part haha
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:47 pm

FYI, I now show 24GB of data available:

Total remaining capacity 24.00GB
Data remaining for this month (expiration date: October 31, 2022) 20.00GB
Amount of data remaining carried forward last month (expiration date: September 30, 2022) 4.00GB
Nice! Did they charge you today?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Angusgor
Nice! Did they charge you today?
So far no charge aside from the 350 yen from Amazon.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:26 am

We are now in Japan . We would like to point out that the iijmio esim plan that others have signed up doesn’t allow data tethering/sharing. I tried to add the profile on the personal hotspot but it won’t let my other phone connect even I added the profile setting manually
Kind of disappointed as it did not mention on their website that it didn’t allow data sharing

it’s only good for solo user. The data download speed is only half decent compare to other esim I have used
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by silverlim
We are now in Japan . We would like to point out that the iijmio esim plan that others have signed up doesn’t allow data tethering/sharing. I tried to add the profile on the personal hotspot but it won’t let my other phone connect even I added the profile setting manually
Kind of disappointed as it did not mention on their website that it didn’t allow data sharing

it’s only good for solo user. The data download speed is only half decent compare to other esim I have used
weird, tethering should be included, i seem to remember there being a step that has to be completed.. are you on the iphone? For the record, it does mention you can use data sharing, and tells you how to configure it in the guide: eSIM Initial Setting (Connection Settings) - For iOS (iPhone/iPad) - | IIJmio

In the internet sharing/personal hotspot section add:

APN: iijmio.jp
USER: mio@iij
PASSWORD: iij

Last edited by seigex; Oct 3, 2022 at 9:46 am
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:07 pm

I did both and it show the hotspot available to connect on my other device but I can never connect.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:00 am

Thinking of getting a Mobal Japan unlimited 31 day plan, pickup at NRT T1. Has anyone used one of these and anything to report? Many thanks
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Thinking of getting a Mobal Japan unlimited 31 day plan, pickup at NRT T1. Has anyone used one of these and anything to report? Many thanks
I used the 30 day Mobal SIM (the one that comes with a local number) in July without issue. A family member was using an IIJmio tourist SIM during the same period and it seemed like the Mobal connection was generally faster / more consistent even if the margin wasn't necessarily wide. YMMV
Tofino87 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.