Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by mongobot
@Alinsfca If you look back in this thread at around post #590 you'll see the same topic being discussed.
The short answer seems to be setting your Amazon home address to Japan or signing up directly through IIJmio.
Thank you. I set a reminder for myself to sign up a couple of weeks ago, but must have missed some of the comments in between,
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
so I don't have the option to use the e-sim for traveling to Tokyo.

If I run out of data with the pre-paid physical SIM card that I have already bought, then what's my best option (what brand and where to buy( while in Tokyo if I just need 3-5 days and a couple Gb

thanks
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
I have been in and out of Japan every month this year and have found the best is if you have T-Mobile and just buy the International Pass for the amount of days needed. It also includes unlimited phone calls while out of the U.S. to over 100 countries including Japan..
lsquare and new_places like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by jamar
Basically, yes.
0. Obtain “entry code” from Amazon (you can skip this and apply directly on IIJMio, this can cost a little more to a lot more depending on if they’re having a promo on the signup fee at the time)
1. Sign up for the 4GB plan on Oct 15, you’ll have 4GB and you’ll be charged for the first month.
2. On Nov 1, your unused 4GB will roll over to the next month, and you’ll be billed for the second month.
3. When you arrive on the 17th you’ll have the rollover 4GB and new 4GB = 8GB to use.

if you need more data, replace 4GB with 8GB, 15GB, or 20GB and your on-arrival total with 16GB, 30GB, or 40GB.
Will unused data just rollover to the next month and then expire by end of that month, or can I keep it for the future, too? Need one eSIM and one regular SIM in december. Is it worth to buy and activate the eSIM this month? Will I have 12 GB in december on this SIM card, if I choose the 4GB plan, or just the data for november and december, so 8 GB?

For now, just use the IIJMio site directly and sign up with the address of the first place you'll be staying at in Japan, since the total activation fee is the same. So long as you're doing eSIM, nothing will be shipped. The only reason to do Amazon is if you want a physical SIM (lower activation fee) or anyone signing up after 10/31 (activation fee on IIJMio site goes back up to 3300 yen until the next promo comes around).
If I need a regular SIM, should I buy it at amazon.co.jp and let them ship it to our first hotel to avoid the shipping charge if they send it abroad? I guess it's this card: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B014GZEPZA/ Which data package can be activated with this card, the same as with the eSIM?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by 31570324
Will unused data just rollover to the next month and then expire by end of that month, or can I keep it for the future, too? Need one eSIM and one regular SIM in december. Is it worth to buy and activate the eSIM this month? Will I have 12 GB in december on this SIM card, if I choose the 4GB plan, or just the data for november and december, so 8 GB?

If I need a regular SIM, should I buy it at amazon.co.jp and let them ship it to our first hotel to avoid the shipping charge if they send it abroad? I guess it's this card: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B014GZEPZA/ Which data package can be activated with this card, the same as with the eSIM?
Data will roll over for one month only, so yes, it expires at the end of the following month. If you sign up in October, and arrive in December, you will have the data from November and December, but the data from October will be lost. However, if you want a physical SIM, there's something extra to take into account.

If you need a regular card, buy the code from Amazon as a download, then when you sign up on the IIJMio website, ask for a physical SIM and provide your hotel's address. Delivery within Japan is fairly quick so I wouldn't do this more than one or two weeks in advance (the Amazon sign-up package price is permanent; the discount on the Amazon site that says it's expiring on 31-Oct is for voice SIMs only). In this case for the regular SIM you will only have that month's data allowance unless you're ordering close to the end of a calendar month (billing is prorated since bills are charged by calendar month).

Example- check-in to hotel on the 7th, so you order the 25th of the month before. You'll have data from the month before rolled over into the current month.

However, if your check-in is on the 14th and you order on the 5th, you'll only have data from that month and you'll need to wait until the end of the next month to cancel.

One other consideration- if you and the other user are comfortable, you can enable "Data Share" in your account settings so that both of you can combine your data allowances and draw from it together.

Example: 4GB physical SIM+4 GB eSIM = 8 GB total per month. Add a month's rollover and you'll have 16 GB to share on arrival.

Alternatively: 4GB eSIM ordered in October will have 8 GB saved up in December. Add a physical SIM ordered in December and you'll have 12GB to use on arrival together.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:36 pm

One other consideration- if you and the other user are comfortable, you can enable "Data Share" in your account settings so that both of you can combine your data allowances and draw from it together
Is that easy to do? Couldn't find any information about data sharing on their website but if that will be possible, it seems to be a great deal.
Data will costs the same with a regular SIM and a eSIM on a monthly base?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:51 am

Is that easy to do? Couldn't find any information about data sharing on their website but if that will be possible, it seems to be a great deal.
Looks pretty easy to set up. Wish I knew about this earlier so I didn't have to get 8GB on both lines! I think I could have gotten 2GB on one line, and then 15GB on another

1. To set up a new profile 2. To get to the next screenshot
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Two different things:

1. Yes, data sharing is possible. Follow the steps that Angusgor outlined.

And no, regular SIM will cost more than eSIM.
2 GB: 440 for eSIM, 740 for regular SIM
4 GB: 660 for eSIM, 900 for regular SIM
8 GB: 1100 for eSIM, 1400 for regular SIM
15 GB: 1430 for eSIM, 1730 for regular SIM
20 GB: 1650 for eSIM, 1950 for regular SIM
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:26 pm

Data will roll over for one month only, so yes, it expires at the end of the following month. If you sign up in October, and arrive in December, you will have the data from November and December, but the data from October will be lost. However, if you want a physical SIM, there's something extra to take into account.
Wouldn't it make sense to buy a eSIM code from amazon in november beside of starting the eSIM card directly from IIJMio website in october, if I need the data allowance not before december? Would safe one month data which would otherwise expire before we get go japan.

Or will it possible to get a cheap 0GB or 2GB package for the first month, then change to a 8Gb package in november?

Last edited by 31570324; Oct 23, 2022 at 4:11 am
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Wouldn't it make sense to buy a eSIM code from amazon in november beside of starting the eSIM card directly from IIJMio website in october, if I need the data allowance not before december? Would safe one month data which would otherwise expire before we get go japan.

Or will it possible to get a cheap 0GB or 2GB package for the first month, then change to a 8Gb package in november?
I don't know if this will help you but I got a Ubigi esim from their website for $16 usd for 30 day 10 g -they also have 1g for $4 and 3g for $8 It's worked fine so far except for a few websites that never seem to load - but I think it's the website not worked not Ubigi's fault. I mostly use it for translating conversations or to ask questions and to translate labels (mostly food). Almost all English translations seem to have disappeared during covid (grocery stores and places like that - even tourist areas IME have less English than I remember)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
I don't know if this will help you but I got a Ubigi esim from their website for $16 usd for 30 day 10 g -they also have 1g for $4 and 3g for $8 It's worked fine so far except for a few websites that never seem to load - but I think it's the website not worked not Ubigi's fault. I mostly use it for translating conversations or to ask questions and to translate labels (mostly food).
As I need one eSIM and one physical SIM Ubigi will not help me.

Originally Posted by estnet
Almost all English translations seem to have disappeared during covid (grocery stores and places like that - even tourist areas IME have less English than I remember)
Thats maybe not because of Covid but because of Olympics?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:59 pm

When I try to buy a eSIM from IIJmio they are asking for a japanese postal address and a telephone number. Can I just use the address and phone number of the first hotel we will stay in japan?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
When I try to buy a eSIM from IIJmio they are asking for a japanese postal address and a telephone number. Can I just use the address and phone number of the first hotel we will stay in japan?
It's an e-sim so you can use anything. There will be no physical deliveries.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: SAS EBG
Does anyone know if you can still get a physical sim at HND?
I used to buy the "Wi-Ho!" 2 weeks unlimited data sim from TelecomSquare before the pandemic, but according to their website they have temporarily closed all locations...
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by peachy3
It's an e-sim so you can use anything. There will be no physical deliveries.
Looks like it work with a hotel address ad fake phone number. But they just block 2 Yen on my creditcard.
Seems that it's possible to change the package every month, so I've got a cheap 4GB package now and will change to 8GB next month. Then I will have 16GB in december when I ned the card.
If I buy a physical SIM from amazon, I just get a code for ordering the physical SIM or will I directly get the physical SIM? Then I could let them send the card to a Amazon Locker at NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.