Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Reply

Old Feb 10, 19, 3:16 am
  #16  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,809
Hopefully the upcoming mid-term management plan update will shed some light on JAL's plan. Will see if they plan to accelerate A350 deliveries or switch over to international config deliveries first. Or perhaps order more 787s?
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:38 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 461
When are these likely to come online? Any chance my LAX-NRT in October becomes LAX-HND...?
etiene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 9:36 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, HH Dia, Marriott safety glasses, IHG, Nexus, *$ Au
Posts: 3,719
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
When are these likely to come online? Any chance my LAX-NRT in October becomes LAX-HND...?
October of 2019? Unlikely... article above has Summer 2020 as the start, but that's for US carriers with just a mention of slots for Japanese carriers without start dates.
rustykettel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 4:54 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 104
Did we get trumped and all slots are going to american carriers?
jgchiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:24 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, HH Dia, Marriott safety glasses, IHG, Nexus, *$ Au
Posts: 3,719
Originally Posted by jgchiker View Post
Did we get trumped and all slots are going to american carriers?
Not sure which "we" (Japan? Europe? ), but no, not all slots are going to US carriers. US carriers are receiving 12 daily slot pairs (8760 annual slots) out of 39,000 additional annual slots, which leaves 30,240 additional annual slots (~42 daily slot pairs) for non-US carriers. Japanese allotment appears to be roughly the same as US, so another 12 slot pairs leaving half of the new allotment for non-US/Japanese carriers.
rustykettel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 6:22 pm
  #21  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,809
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
When are these likely to come online? Any chance my LAX-NRT in October becomes LAX-HND...?
end of March 2020
etiene likes this.
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 6:54 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WAS via TYO
Programs: DL Gold, UA Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,784
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Not sure which "we" (Japan? Europe? ), but no, not all slots are going to US carriers. US carriers are receiving 12 daily slot pairs (8760 annual slots) out of 39,000 additional annual slots, which leaves 30,240 additional annual slots (~42 daily slot pairs) for non-US carriers. Japanese allotment appears to be roughly the same as US, so another 12 slot pairs leaving half of the new allotment for non-US/Japanese carriers.
More precisely, 24 daily slot pairs are set aside for flights to/from the US. US airlines will get half of those (12 daily slot pairs), allocated through the US government, and Japanese airlines will get the other half, allocated through the Japanese government. This was part of the deal for opening up the US military controlled airspace to the west of HND. There isn't a lot of public detail yet as to what will happen to the other slots. Presumably some will be allocated to international routes and split 50/50 between airlines from Japan and airlines from other countries, while some will be allocated to domestic routes. A separate issue is that the current domestic slot allocations at HND expire next January, and there is talk about completely revamping the allocation to allow LCCs more opportunities to serve HND.
rustykettel likes this.
joejones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:47 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC Silver, KE, NH, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 226
Would love to see IAD and have another east coast option.
Beltway2A likes this.
Pochama is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:43 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tokyo, JP
Programs: A3*G, DL Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 828
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
A separate issue is that the current domestic slot allocations at HND expire next January, and there is talk about completely revamping the allocation to allow LCCs more opportunities to serve HND.
Whoa, that's pretty big. Would this also perhaps even the tables for ANA and their "captive carriers" (for lack of a better word... AIR DO, Starflyer, etc.) versus JAL who is on their own?
hamburgler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:03 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, HH Dia, Marriott safety glasses, IHG, Nexus, *$ Au
Posts: 3,719
Newsroom - American Airlines to Apply for Additional Service at Tokyo?s Haneda Airport - American Airlines Group, Inc.

AA posted their HND wishlist

2x DFW
1x LAS
1x LAX (in addition to the existing LAX)

rustykettel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:11 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WAS via TYO
Programs: DL Gold, UA Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,784
The LAX red-eye is the most exciting piece of that news for me -- ANA will no longer be the only overnight option. Though I guess this means there will also be an early morning departure from HND to LAX or LAS, which would not be as much fun.
joejones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:22 pm
  #27  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,809
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Newsroom - American Airlines to Apply for Additional Service at Tokyo?s Haneda Airport - American Airlines Group, Inc.

AA posted their HND wishlist

2x DFW
1x LAS
1x LAX (in addition to the existing LAX)



Seriously? Almost no chance for them to get 2x DFW and 2x LAX...but the red-eye LAX isn't using the day-time slots I guess? And if that's their plan...what's left for JL?
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 5:56 pm
  #28  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,809
Surprised DL didnít ask for 12

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...haneda-456005/

HA wants 3x HNL lol
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 8:27 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NYC/LAX
Programs: BAEC Gold, JAL Sapphire, JGC, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Air Europa SUMA Silver
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Seriously? Almost no chance for them to get 2x DFW and 2x LAX...but the red-eye LAX isn't using the day-time slots I guess? And if that's their plan...what's left for JL?
Guess AA is counting JL on HND-ORD. But I still hope JAL could also add HND-LAX, preferably daytime (like 2pm ish?)
JALOO5-Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 8:46 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, HH Dia, Marriott safety glasses, IHG, Nexus, *$ Au
Posts: 3,719
Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer View Post
Guess AA is counting JL on HND-ORD. But I still hope JAL could also add HND-LAX, preferably daytime (like 2pm ish?)
That was my guess. Seeing the AA red eye though, I wonder if JAL might add that from other locations as well.
rustykettel is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread