Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Japan has tentatively granted JL 11.5 slot pairs and NH 13.5 slot pairs: https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO48713010Z10C19A8MM8000

Official allocation: http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/c.../001305161.pdf

US: JL 6 NH 6
China: JL 2 NH 2
Russia: JL 1 NH 1
Australia: JL1 NH 1
India: JL 0.5 NH 0.5 (flight will use day time + night time pair)
Italy: NH 1
Turkey: NH 1
Finland: JL 1
Scandinavia: NH 1
Print Wikipost

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I actually find it smart they consolidate the First Class Lounge all to 4F. There are certain passengers that will never head up to that 4F cause it doesn't have the sushi (back then). It was always a zoo in 3F. I hope they will also consider consolidations at Haneda. Make the current Sakura Skyview lounge a dedicated First Lounge and then just Sakura lounge at the original spot.

Now you will all go to this lounge unless you want the champagne at Satellite (or you are departing at Satellite wanting to stop by). The current 4F space is also bigger than the original 3F space (albeit smaller than before cause there was First in 4F). Do we know if 3F will be entirely Sakura lounge? As of current renovation it seems the Sakura lounge didn't take all the spaces.

I think it depends on whether 35K will still offer First. If there will be First on 35K, then I find Narita still feasible to support.
3F will still have F space at NRT. 35K is to replace SS7 not complimenting. When the first 35K arrives, the oldest SS7 will be 19 years old and will be on its way out soon. It can't be the long term plan to have both. Not to mention 35K won't arrive until 2023 and the HND expansion is in 6 months. So 35K is not going to be the answer this time around.

It will always be a zoo no matter how big the F lounge is with all those animals there
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The Japanese carriers are really dragging their feet on route announcements. Nikkei just reported that JAL is considering HND-SYD, but that it's just a "candidate" and that no decision has been made yet. (Japanese link)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: QFF
So no word from either JAL or ANA on where their new HND-AU day slots will go?

Qantas and ANA have the night slots and both use those slots for SYD-HND (with ANA keeping the aircraft parked in SYD all day and QF keeping theirs parked at HND all day. Both flights use near identical departure/arrival times).

For the new day slots, Qantas have asked for both, for a 2nd SYD-HND and to move their MEL-NRT to HND. Virgin Australia, which has no current flights to Japan, has asked for 1 for BNE-HND. Thus they are fighting over the slot with IASC, the Australian government agency controlling Australia's international flight capacity allocations, to decided who gets the slots by the end of the month.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:15 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/186084

What a waste of half of a day-time slot pair.

AY61 ヘルシンキ(00:50)→羽田(17:15)
AY62 羽田(01:35)→ヘルシンキ(05:30)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

At least they did not add a third flight to Tokyo departing between 16 and 17. A fourth if you include JAL

Interesting alternative travel schedule I would say.
Superrman likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Interesting that AY would rather do 1xHEL-NRT and 1xHEL-HND than just operate to HND twice a day.

We'll see if the Japanese authorities are willing to grant AY and AA the evening slots they want, even though these slots are for day time. I believe Finland has had HND evening slots since at least 2014, so it should be fine for them. But AA doesn't technically have one at all. If the Japanese are adamant about the time restrictions, perhaps AA and HA can swap slots?

Turkey could have also probably worked with a half slot arrangement, as well as another country like Mexico. It's disappointing that HND doesn't have a single Latin America flight.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Interesting that AY would rather do 1xHEL-NRT and 1xHEL-HND than just operate to HND twice a day.

We'll see if the Japanese authorities are willing to grant AY and AA the evening slots they want, even though these slots are for day time. I believe Finland has had HND evening slots since at least 2014, so it should be fine for them. But AA doesn't technically have one at all. If the Japanese are adamant about the time restrictions, perhaps AA and HA can swap slots?

Turkey could have also probably worked with a half slot arrangement, as well as another country like Mexico. It's disappointing that HND doesn't have a single Latin America flight.
NRT only has two Latin America flights, NH to MEX and AM to MEX. It is not like there are a host of direct flights from Japan to the region.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
NRT only has two Latin America flights, NH to MEX and AM to MEX. It is not like there are a host of direct flights from Japan to the region.
It's more about timing. Those two flights precisely could have been very beneficial for HND using the same split arrangement as India, thus giving HND more geographical representation and avoiding issues where daytime slots may be wasted by airlines of countries where an evening slot works in one direction but not necessarily the other. Pushing MEX-TYO up by one hour would work with HND's overnight schedule.

NRT-MEX
AM57 DEP 14:24 ARR 13:05
NH180 DEP 16:45 ARR 15:20

MEX-NRT
AM58 DEP 1:30 ARR 6:20+1
NH179 DEP 2:20 ARR 6:45+1
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's more about timing. Those two flights precisely could have been very beneficial for HND using the same split arrangement as India, thus giving HND more geographical representation and avoiding issues where daytime slots may be wasted by airlines of countries where an evening slot works in one direction but not necessarily the other. Pushing MEX-TYO up by one hour would work with HND's overnight schedule.

NRT-MEX
AM57 DEP 14:24 ARR 13:05
NH180 DEP 16:45 ARR 15:20

MEX-NRT
AM58 DEP 1:30 ARR 6:20+1
NH179 DEP 2:20 ARR 6:45+1
I guess there was more confidence in TK going back to double daily and thus NRT not loosing Turkey all together, than there were in NH or AM starting double daily for NRT to not loose Mexico.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

I just took JAL 7/8 between Boston and Tokyo last week. My business was in Kyoto. I THINK I did the best I could, taking the Narita Express to downtown Tokyo and then connecting to the Shinkansen to Kyoto. Then a taxi from there to the International Conference Center in northern Kyoto. Wheels down at NRT at 4pm, and I walked into my hotel near the ICC around 9:45pm.

But I bring this up because I wonder whether JAL would switch its Boston flight to HND, which I think would have saved 1-2 hours on that journey. What is the likelihood of JAL doing that?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisNH38
I just took JAL 7/8 between Boston and Tokyo last week. My business was in Kyoto. I THINK I did the best I could, taking the Narita Express to downtown Tokyo and then connecting to the Shinkansen to Kyoto. Then a taxi from there to the International Conference Center in northern Kyoto. Wheels down at NRT at 4pm, and I walked into my hotel near the ICC around 9:45pm.

But I bring this up because I wonder whether JAL would switch its Boston flight to HND, which I think would have saved 1-2 hours on that journey. What is the likelihood of JAL doing that?
Low.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by JALPak

HEL-HND is not the best for sure but HND-HEL is a very good schedule if minimising "time wasted" is a priority.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
https://flyteam.jp/news/article/117361

According to an industry paper, JL is to add HND-ORD/LAX/BOS to existing NRT service while moving HNL and DFW service to HND, and adding an additional HND-JFK/LAX/ORD service (one of the three, still not decided).

Meanwhile NH will add an HND-LAX/ORD flight (one of the two) while moving NRT-IAD/IAH/SEA/SJC to HND.

Same article says that for Australia, NH will add an additional HND-SYD while JL will move NRT-MEL to HND (to complement QF SYD service), and for China, NH will add HND-TAO/SZX while JL will add HND-SHA/DLC.

These are not final plans but are said to be pretty close to final.

Last edited by joejones; Nov 2, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:57 pm

I’m a bit skeptical of those assumptions—would ANA really rather add yet another flight to LAX or ORD instead of SFO?

4x daily to LAX on NH alone, plus 2x on UA =
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m a bit skeptical of those assumptions—would ANA really rather add yet another flight to LAX or ORD instead of SFO?

4x daily to LAX on NH alone, plus 2x on UA =
Especially as NH issued a profit warning with lack of premium demand from the US as part of the reason. They have struggled enough to fill 3 daily, 4 would just be asking for low yield or empty planes....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.