Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Japan has tentatively granted JL 11.5 slot pairs and NH 13.5 slot pairs: https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO48713010Z10C19A8MM8000

Official allocation: http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/c.../001305161.pdf

US: JL 6 NH 6
China: JL 2 NH 2
Russia: JL 1 NH 1
Australia: JL1 NH 1
India: JL 0.5 NH 0.5 (flight will use day time + night time pair)
Italy: NH 1
Turkey: NH 1
Finland: JL 1
Scandinavia: NH 1
Print Wikipost

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Happy to hear today that both my flights for my short vacation to Tokyo in Summer 2020 will be moved to HND (SEA - HND with ANA J and HND - ORD with JAL F). However, does anyone know whether the departure/arrival time for JL 10 will be significantly affected? My connecting flight out of ORD is on a separate ticket so I'm wondering if I'll have to change it.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Happy to hear today that both my flights for my short vacation to Tokyo in Summer 2020 will be moved to HND (SEA - HND with ANA J and HND - ORD with JAL F). However, does anyone know whether the departure/arrival time for JL 10 will be significantly affected? My connecting flight out of ORD is on a separate ticket so I'm wondering if I'll have to change it.
When reservations open in 24 minutes, just do a dummy booking as spot the times.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:57 pm

FYI I booked through AA and while my first class ticket was correctly changed, the connecting flight was still out of NRT. I had to call and switch flights so it would work.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
When reservations open in 24 minutes, just do a dummy booking as spot the times.
Didn't realize it would switch over immediately like that! Looks like my flight has switched over with the same seat number. New HND departure is about 1 hour after my original one so while I may have to kiss any hope of leaving the airport in ORD goodbye, I definitely don't have to worry about missing my connection.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Or just check the press release which have all the schedule listed
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My AS award flight in JL F got switched from 61 to 15 (and they kept my seat selection in F as well, plus the “stopover”- in to HND, out of KIX on a one way ). Quite satisfied with how JAL handled it.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
Or just check the press release which have all the schedule listed
The last one you linked, did not. I looked to get reminded. It only showed when they are opening for booking. Was too lazy to look for links further back in the thread
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:16 am
Original Poster

The last one you linked, did not. I looked to get reminded. It only showed when they are opening for booking. Was too lazy to look for links further back in the thread
That link was in the press release to provide info on how JL would handle the ticket changes. The actual press release has all flight schedules.

https://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201911/005392.html
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
That link was in the press release to provide info on how JL would handle the ticket changes. The actual press release has all flight schedules.

https://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201911/005392.html
I did feel I had seen it somewhere.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

I did feel I had seen it somewhere.
Probably FB messenger
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:38 am

Yes, I put more credence into the BOS-HND rumor than I ought to have. I don't know whether JL can just arbitrarily add it at some point, or whether the governments need to approve such a thing. I do know that the BOS-NRT route does quite well, albeit having a 787-9 sitting on the ground at Logan for 20 hours.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ChrisNH38
Yes, I put more credence into the BOS-HND rumor than I ought to have. I don't know whether JL can just arbitrarily add it at some point, or whether the governments need to approve such a thing. I do know that the BOS-NRT route does quite well, albeit having a 787-9 sitting on the ground at Logan for 20 hours.
Yes, they would need government approvals to start service on that route. The real issue is that HND is slot limited, which is what this round was about. I don't believe JAL has any slots left over so would need to take service from somewhere else unless more slots were provided. Iirc, HND night slots are in a different category but then JAL would have to deal with the difficulty of redeye departure/arrival flights.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, they would need government approvals to start service on that route. The real issue is that HND is slot limited, which is what this round was about. I don't believe JAL has any slots left over so would need to take service from somewhere else unless more slots were provided. Iirc, HND night slots are in a different category but then JAL would have to deal with the difficulty of redeye departure/arrival flights.
A night time could work, they could fly around 23:30 get in to. Boston around 22:30, Depart again around 01:00 and get in around 5am. I don't know if Logan has facilities for late night departures.

Also, while Haneda does have night slots, they are as far as I remember not free for use on the US routes.

JAL has used all the current day time slots, but as the Japanese flow was to assign the slots to ANA and JAL and then leave them to work where they want I fly, I can't imagine that it would be a problem to reshuffle them later. As opposed to the US allocation, where the airlines applied and got specific city pairs approved.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I would imagine one of the two HNL routes can be swapped for something else later as JL better understands demand going forward, particularly SEA or BOS.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I would imagine one of the two HNL routes can be swapped for something else later as JL better understands demand going forward, particularly SEA or BOS.
The other factor being that both DL and NH are both flying to HND, leaving JL at NRT all by themselves. 3x daily to TYO is a lot for SEA, maybe being by themselves at NRT instead of fighting for a 3-way battle in HND works better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.