Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Japan has tentatively granted JL 11.5 slot pairs and NH 13.5 slot pairs: https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO48713010Z10C19A8MM8000

Official allocation: http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/c.../001305161.pdf

US: JL 6 NH 6
China: JL 2 NH 2
Russia: JL 1 NH 1
Australia: JL1 NH 1
India: JL 0.5 NH 0.5 (flight will use day time + night time pair)
Italy: NH 1
Turkey: NH 1
Finland: JL 1
Scandinavia: NH 1
Print Wikipost

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
A night time could work, they could fly around 23:30 get in to. Boston around 22:30, Depart again around 01:00 and get in around 5am. I don't know if Logan has facilities for late night departures.

Also, while Haneda does have night slots, they are as far as I remember not free for use on the US routes.

JAL has used all the current day time slots, but as the Japanese flow was to assign the slots to ANA and JAL and then leave them to work where they want I fly, I can't imagine that it would be a problem to reshuffle them later. As opposed to the US allocation, where the airlines applied and got specific city pairs approved.
A late-night arrival / departure ex-BOS is definitely possible — that's what CX does (2050 arrival, 0125 departure), and the VS flight arrives 2240 so CBP is definitely set up for that as well.

Am also somewhat surprised that JL didn't move BOS to HND given how NH is shifting SJC which is probably the closest comparison, and connecting traffic must surely be lower yielding than O&D (and there's an increasing TPAC presence at BOS with HU to both PVG and PEK and KE going daily to ICN).

There are two HND night slots for US flights — unfortunately NH has the Japan one (to HNL) while HA has the US pair so there's none available for JL
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:50 am

A night time could work, they could fly around 23:30 get in to. Boston around 22:30, Depart again around 01:00 and get in around 5am. I don't know if Logan has facilities for late night departures.

Also, while Haneda does have night slots, they are as far as I remember not free for use on the US routes.

JAL has used all the current day time slots, but as the Japanese flow was to assign the slots to ANA and JAL and then leave them to work where they want I fly, I can't imagine that it would be a problem to reshuffle them later. As opposed to the US allocation, where the airlines applied and got specific city pairs approved.
Yes, the Cathay flight into BOS comes to mind. Plus, they have Terminal E (obviously) to themselves both coming and going.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
Got this email yesterday. Good news for LAX flyers, got the LAX-HND flight I've always wanted.

NEW TOKYO (HANEDA) Flight Schedules (Starting March 28, 2020)*:
Flight No.DepartureArrivalOperationAircraftCabin

JL003New York
01:30Tokyo (HND)
04:45 (+1)Daily777-300ER
(SS7)

JL004Tokyo (HND)
18:30New York
18:25Daily777-300ER
(SS7)

JL009Chicago
12:25Tokyo (HND)
15:35 (+1)Daily777-300ER
(SS7)

JL010Tokyo (HND)
11:45Chicago
09:30Daily777-300ER
(SS7)

JL011Dallas Ft. Worth
10:55Tokyo (HND)
14:20 (+1)Daily787-9
(SS9)

JL012Tokyo (HND)
10:55Dallas Ft. Worth
08:25Daily787-9
(SS9)

JL015Los Angeles
13:45Tokyo (HND)
17:20 (+1)Daily777-300ER
(SS7)

JL016Tokyo (HND)
17:00Los Angeles
10:50Daily777-300ER
(SS7)

*Schedules subject to gov’t approval. Schedule, aircraft and configuration subject to change without notice.
JL015 (from Los Angeles) and JL004, JL010, JL012 and JL016 (from Tokyo–Haneda) will begin from March 29, 2020.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I'm really curious why some of these flights are allowed to take off or land at times that technically fall under nighttime. (i.e. JFK-HND, LAX-HND on AA or HND-HEL on AY)

I wish the US and Japan could negotiate a few more evening slots (maybe 2 more on each side for a total of 6) that would allow for a few more services to be started (and daytime slots not wasted).
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I'm really curious why some of these flights are allowed to take off or land at times that technically fall under nighttime. (i.e. JFK-HND, LAX-HND on AA or HND-HEL on AY)

I wish the US and Japan could negotiate a few more evening slots (maybe 2 more on each side for a total of 6) that would allow for a few more services to be started (and daytime slots not wasted).
For Helsinki, there seems to be little restrictions on the night time flights to Europe, so there should be no issues for AY. But for the US I don't know how they managed. Maybe the slots were more flexible the earlier?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
I just logged in and my ticketed flight on April 5th 2020 on JL4 from NRT-JFK now says HND as the airport and it's telling me to call AA reservations. i'm guessing it's because of this change? I can't pull my reservation up on the website or the app
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
For Helsinki, there seems to be little restrictions on the night time flights to Europe, so there should be no issues for AY. But for the US I don't know how they managed. Maybe the slots were more flexible the earlier?
Actually, I can't remember exactly but I think AY might hold evening slots at HND already, so they'd be well within their right to use them now. If AY wants to keep 2x TYO service, maybe they'll use all 4 of their HND slots in the future instead of operating into NRT.

Doesn't explain the situation with the US though. AA and JL are clearly going to be violating the rules here.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Actually, I can't remember exactly but I think AY might hold evening slots at HND already, so they'd be well within their right to use them now. If AY wants to keep 2x TYO service, maybe they'll use all 4 of their HND slots in the future instead of operating into NRT.

Doesn't explain the situation with the US though. AA and JL are clearly going to be violating the rules here.
There is probably some loop hole they are taking, I am sure they would not be allowed to openly break the rules.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
My understanding is that nighttime slots are not guaranteed unless there is an award under the bilateral. If you want to operate a nighttime flight using one of the daytime slot pairs under the bilateral, there is a risk that the scheduling authorities in Japan kick your schedule into the daytime slots. This is mentioned in footnote 17 to the DOT's Haneda route award order:

In our instituting order, we stated: “Takeoff and landing slots at Haneda will be allocated by Japan Schedule Coordination under established procedures. The Government of Japan has noted that Haneda is operationally constrained and the availability of certain takeoff and landing slot times at Haneda will likely be limited.” Order 2019-2-5 at 3, n. 6. While the Department tentatively found merit in the potential benefits of American’s proposal to serve Los Angeles-Haneda in a new time channel, we stated that we are not in a position to predict whether American’s proposed arrival during nighttime hours will be acceptable to the Japanese authorities. Recognizing American’s statement that it is willing to accept alternative departure and arrival times should circumstances warrant (American Exhibits AA-104 and AA-105), and considering the high value American places in its second-ranked Los Angeles-Haneda proposal, the Department is finalizing its selection of American at Los Angeles affirming our belief that an allocation here is consistent with our goal of seeking to maximize public benefits.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:40 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
The China expansion schedule has been announced

https://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201912/005430.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.