Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DDResq
I've never flown EK and am trying to figure out availability back from my honeymoon in SEZ on JAL award ticket. My fiance are flying at the end of August/beginning of September and would love to do something along the lines of SEZ-DXB-MXP-JFK (stopover in MXP) or SEZ-DXB-ATH-EWR (stopover in ATH). A few questions:

-What fare buckets does JAL have access to?
-Is there anywhere besides Alaska and/or Qantas to search availability?
-Does Emirates release awards one seat at a time (like CX does on close-in booking)?

I have been trying to piece together the information on EF with the availability I am seeing on Alaska and Qantas but cannot figure out the correlations and what awards JAL has access to. I apologize if these questions have been answered, but I looked and cannot find the information. Thanks in advance.

There's a thread in the JL forum for booking EK on JL. I found it by typing "Emirates" in the search form in the JL forum. Might be a better place to ask questions than the AS forum (a forum which has nothing to do with booking EK through JL's program).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...points-ek.html

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 23, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

There's a thread in the JL forum for booking EK on JL. I found it by typing "Emirates" in the search form in the JL forum. Might be a better place to ask questions than the AS forum (a forum which has nothing to do with booking EK through JL's program).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...points-ek.html
That makes complete sense. Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:00 pm

Double post.

Last edited by DDResq; Jan 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Peridot83
The answer to the question above is there are no change fees if you are just moving dates, and redeposit fees are low. Around $30.
Is this still true? No fees for changing dates or about $30 to redeposit? I might have to push my trip back a month but I don't want to pay a lot for it. If I push back though, I would probably redeposit and book again as there is a better routing available now, one less connecting city.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:16 pm

I've never flown EK and am trying to figure out availability back from my honeymoon in SEZ on JAL award ticket. My fiance are flying at the end of August/beginning of September and would love to do something along the lines of SEZ-DXB-MXP-JFK (stopover in MXP) or SEZ-DXB-ATH-EWR (stopover in ATH). A few questions:

-What fare buckets does JAL have access to?
-Is there anywhere besides Alaska and/or Qantas to search availability?
-Does Emirates release awards one seat at a time (like CX does on close-in booking)?

I have been trying to piece together the information on EF with the availability I am seeing on Alaska and Qantas but cannot figure out the correlations and what awards JAL has access to. I apologize if these questions have been answered, but I looked and cannot find the information. Thanks in advance.
JAL saw Qantas-reported availability just fine. I even saw the inventory drop accordingly when I booked over the phone. The one thing I took notice of is that inventory doesn't immediately reappear, so don't ask JAL to do speculative searches. If you suspect availability is available (through Qantas), then call in and say what you want, and book it. I made the mistake of speculatively requesting two award seats and then asked the agent to check awards for a different time/route and when we went back to the original, only one award was left and we had to wait for it to come back. The agent was super nice though and just offered to keep checking and call me back when it returned. I got a call a few hours later and booked the seats.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
JAL saw Qantas-reported availability just fine. I even saw the inventory drop accordingly when I booked over the phone. The one thing I took notice of is that inventory doesn't immediately reappear, so don't ask JAL to do speculative searches. If you suspect availability is available (through Qantas), then call in and say what you want, and book it. I made the mistake of speculatively requesting two award seats and then asked the agent to check awards for a different time/route and when we went back to the original, only one award was left and we had to wait for it to come back. The agent was super nice though and just offered to keep checking and call me back when it returned. I got a call a few hours later and booked the seats.
I guess my real question is whether the availability on Qantas is everything that JAL has access to, or whether there are other places I can theoretically look to piece together the entire puzzle. I'm trying to use a fifth freedom flight on my honeymoon and cannot find availability anywhere and want to know if it's because it isn't there or because I'm not looking in the right places.

Last edited by DDResq; Jan 24, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:49 am

Can I search for Saver Award space on Emirates, or does that not necessarily translate to what JAL can see? Is there a bucket that JAL pulls from that I can check on EF for availability?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:35 am

Can I search for Saver Award space on Emirates, or does that not necessarily translate to what JAL can see? Is there a bucket that JAL pulls from that I can check on EF for availability?
In my experience, awards on Emirates does not translate to awards you can redeem with JMB. In my case Emirates showed award availability for all Emirates flights on the day I needed to fly. The only available time I could book an award for was the later of two scheduled flights on that day, the earlier had no awards available when looking on Qantas or when the JAL rep searched.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I guess my real question is whether the availability on Qantas is everything that JAL has access to, or whether there are other places I can theoretically look to piece together the entire puzzle. I'm trying to use a fifth freedom flight on my honeymoon and cannot find availability anywhere and want to know if it's because it isn't there or because I'm not looking in the right places.
I found Alaska Air and Qantas to match pretty well to what I was available when I called JAL. I also saw flights available on EK website via awards that I couldn't get through JAL, which meant an extra connection.

I do want to give you some advice though if you didn't see my posting for last month. JAL will NOT let you use your points to book a flight for your fiance'. You are not legally married and they do not care that it's a trip for your honeymoon and you will be married afterwards. They wanted a marriage license from me immediately and my wedding was still over 3 months away. It didn't even matter that we live together. I suggest that if you are transferring points in, e.g. from Starwood, that you transfer her points into her SPG account and then separately to JAL. Save yourself the trouble.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I found Alaska Air and Qantas to match pretty well to what I was available when I called JAL. I also saw flights available on EK website via awards that I couldn't get through JAL, which meant an extra connection.

I do want to give you some advice though if you didn't see my posting for last month. JAL will NOT let you use your points to book a flight for your fiance'. You are not legally married and they do not care that it's a trip for your honeymoon and you will be married afterwards. They wanted a marriage license from me immediately and my wedding was still over 3 months away. It didn't even matter that we live together. I suggest that if you are transferring points in, e.g. from Starwood, that you transfer her points into her SPG account and then separately to JAL. Save yourself the trouble.
I saw that and appreciate you bringing it up. We both have enough SPG points for the flights and will be sure to transfer separately.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
In my experience, awards on Emirates does not translate to awards you can redeem with JMB. In my case Emirates showed award availability for all Emirates flights on the day I needed to fly. The only available time I could book an award for was the later of two scheduled flights on that day, the earlier had no awards available when looking on Qantas or when the JAL rep searched.
Can you see the award space anywhere on EF?

Last edited by DDResq; Jan 25, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:40 pm

I could see award seats for 2 on EF & AS.

To avoid any issues with same-sex couples not sharing the same last name, I transferred miles to my account and my partner's.

After going through all the hoops of names, flights, passport info, the agent told me he got an error message from EK saying there were no longer seats.

I went back to my computer, and the seats were gone according to EF.

I waited 30 mins, and the seats are back per EF.

Is it possible that Emirates is pulling the second seat when a request for the first seat is received?

Does anyone have any experience?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx
I could see award seats for 2 on EF & AS.

To avoid any issues with same-sex couples not sharing the same last name, I transferred miles to my account and my partner's.

After going through all the hoops of names, flights, passport info, the agent told me he got an error message from EK saying there were no longer seats.

I went back to my computer, and the seats were gone according to EF.

I waited 30 mins, and the seats are back per EF.

Is it possible that Emirates is pulling the second seat when a request for the first seat is received?

Does anyone have any experience?
Did you see my post a few above?

Using JAL points on EK
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:08 pm

I had a strange conversation with a JL agent today. My search was to fly EK TPE-DXB-BLQ. the agent after searching for a few mins said that, on that route , both segments are excluded in their contractual agreement and hence cannot see any award availability.

Anyone encounter this before ? I am not sure what the best approach is here to counter if I got a bad agent or something.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by su9062
I had a strange conversation with a JL agent today. My search was to fly EK TPE-DXB-BLQ. the agent after searching for a few mins said that, on that route , both segments are excluded in their contractual agreement and hence cannot see any award availability.

Anyone encounter this before ? I am not sure what the best approach is here to counter if I got a bad agent or something.
HUCA!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.