Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
The JMB program requires you to be related to the award recipient. So in the case of a spouse where the last name is not shared, they may ask for proof. This happened to me as well where I was booking an award for me and my fiancee and they would not let me book the award for her unless we were married - it didn't matter that we would be married when we flew as it was part of a honeymoon. It was a good thing I asked before transferring SPG points to just my own JMB account. Luckily SPG allows you to transfer your points to someone else's account living in the same household. I was able to transfer points from SPG to SPG and then to our individual JMB accounts for separate award redemptions.

Downside is two PNR's and a possible loss of SPG's 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points redeemed. I transferred 30,000 points each - which resulted in 10,000 bonus points total as opposed to 15,000 bonus points if I had transferred the 60,000 points from one account.

In this same situation - booking travel for my fiance and myself, but I made the mistake after points had been transferred (I didn't realize JAL was as tough as Korean Air). Completely and utterly ridiculous, but now I'm in the situation of seeing if they will take a copy of the marriage application. I've also pondered what would happen if I said I was traveling with my sister - assume they would ask for a birth certificate?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:58 pm

PSA: Not 100% sure, but just talked to a USA-based JL agent and found this out. Effective since this past Friday, JL has been told by EK to charge YQ on award tickets on EK
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pete.th
PSA: Not 100% sure, but just talked to a USA-based JL agent and found this out. Effective since this past Friday, JL has been told by EK to charge YQ on award tickets on EK
That is bad news, though from what I have heard JL already charged YQ for EK awards in certain regions (or may be for certain routing).

Also I think sooner or later EK is going to force JL to change their award chart (just like they did for AS) given how much cheaper JL awards on EK are compared to other EK partners.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
To the poster above, if your sister has the same last name, no issues. Otherwise yes I guess they would require dual birth certificates to match a parent's name.

Last edited by cdancer20; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I think that there has already been a change. I just looked back at my bookings. I booked in January and was charged $15.10. I had to reissue the ticket at the end of March due to changed routing. (More direct flight was available for my new dates.) I was charged $66.50 and I think that this was AFTER they refunded the $15.10 in the price.

Oh wait. I forgot that I added another flight on. Maybe the additional flight was more expensive but no way of knowing for sure.
That surely isn't YQ charges, but just the difference in airport taxes for the new routing. Also, it may include the 3100Y change fee (unless you paid the change fee using miles or if it was charged separately).
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by unicon
That surely isn't YQ charges, but just the difference in airport taxes for the new routing. Also, it may include the 3100Y change fee (unless you paid the change fee using miles or if it was charged separately).
I changed my comment above so you can delete this. The fee was taken out of the cancellation fee. Thank you though.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by TravelingAssociate
In this same situation - booking travel for my fiance and myself, but I made the mistake after points had been transferred (I didn't realize JAL was as tough as Korean Air). Completely and utterly ridiculous, but now I'm in the situation of seeing if they will take a copy of the marriage application. I've also pondered what would happen if I said I was traveling with my sister - assume they would ask for a birth certificate?
Yeah in my case, the taxes and fees was gonna jump from $70 to $560.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Ok which chart are we using... It was distanced based, but holy shiznits... found this chart which I haven't seen before..... price is region based now as both charts are found on the website..... really weird... hope they didn't switch back as I haven't found anything online.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use...k/ek_mile.html

Last edited by schley; Apr 21, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Ok which chart are we using... It was distanced based, but holy shiznits... found this chart which I haven't seen before..... price is region based now as both charts are found on the website..... really weird... hope they didn't switch back as I haven't found anything online.

This is the chart that you are looking for:

https://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile...b_mile_ar.html
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by schley

I asked about this 1 page back.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:38 pm

I just realized how much more expensive first class is then business. I mean I knew it was more but I guess I had my eyes so set on first class, that I didn't care. Paid 70k more points for 2 seats in first vs biz. However it's OK. It's my honeymoon so well worth it.

I came to post though some info in case anyone every runs into this question. It may be posted here already but I didn't feel like searching. It won't hurt if it's here again.

If you book a multi-leg ticket in one class, you can of course downgrade one segment if first class isn't available. In my instance, I have first-business-economy. I didn't care as much as long as I had the first leg (longest) in first class. You will have to pay the first class price though for the entire trip.

The news is that if a seat opens up in that class that you paid for, there is no problem calling them and having them re-book that segment of the trip in the class you paid for with NO change fees. In my case, the last leg in economy opened up some first class and business seats. I obviously took the first class. As for the second leg, I don't mind if we stay in business. I kind of want to see what that class is like to compare to first class. Plus it's only a 4 hour segment so I won't be losing out on much.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
I just realized how much more expensive first class is then business. I mean I knew it was more but I guess I had my eyes so set on first class, that I didn't care. Paid 70k more points for 2 seats in first vs biz. However it's OK. It's my honeymoon so well worth it.

I came to post though some info in case anyone every runs into this question. It may be posted here already but I didn't feel like searching. It won't hurt if it's here again.

If you book a multi-leg ticket in one class, you can of course downgrade one segment if first class isn't available. In my instance, I have first-business-economy. I didn't care as much as long as I had the first leg (longest) in first class. You will have to pay the first class price though for the entire trip.

The news is that if a seat opens up in that class that you paid for, there is no problem calling them and having them re-book that segment of the trip in the class you paid for with NO change fees. In my case, the last leg in economy opened up some first class and business seats. I obviously took the first class. As for the second leg, I don't mind if we stay in business. I kind of want to see what that class is like to compare to first class. Plus it's only a 4 hour segment so I won't be losing out on much.
What was your routing and how much were your taxes and fees?
Old May 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by triptastic
What was your routing and how much were your taxes and fees?
IAD-DXB-MLE-DXB. I paid about $66.50 in fees. I had booked a different flight before, JFK-DXB-CMB-MLE, those taxes and fees were $15.10.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:07 am

IAD-DXB-MLE-DXB. I paid about $66.50 in fees. I had booked a different flight before, JFK-DXB-CMB-MLE, those taxes and fees were $15.10.
Was this booked within the last month, after the comments about JL now to charge YQ on EK flights? Have a boatload of SPG points to transfer but since JL MB does not even tell me what the anticipated fees and charges will be until am ready to book with the points in the account, am scared to only to find out thousands of dollars in YQ fees for a F redemption!
Old May 18, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by njdealguy
Was this booked within the last month, after the comments about JL now to charge YQ on EK flights? Have a boatload of SPG points to transfer but since JL MB does not even tell me what the anticipated fees and charges will be until am ready to book with the points in the account, am scared to only to find out thousands of dollars in YQ fees for a F redemption!
It was booked in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.