FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using JAL points on EK
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2017, 10:30 am
triptastic

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I just realized how much more expensive first class is then business. I mean I knew it was more but I guess I had my eyes so set on first class, that I didn't care. Paid 70k more points for 2 seats in first vs biz. However it's OK. It's my honeymoon so well worth it.

I came to post though some info in case anyone every runs into this question. It may be posted here already but I didn't feel like searching. It won't hurt if it's here again.

If you book a multi-leg ticket in one class, you can of course downgrade one segment if first class isn't available. In my instance, I have first-business-economy. I didn't care as much as long as I had the first leg (longest) in first class. You will have to pay the first class price though for the entire trip.

The news is that if a seat opens up in that class that you paid for, there is no problem calling them and having them re-book that segment of the trip in the class you paid for with NO change fees. In my case, the last leg in economy opened up some first class and business seats. I obviously took the first class. As for the second leg, I don't mind if we stay in business. I kind of want to see what that class is like to compare to first class. Plus it's only a 4 hour segment so I won't be losing out on much.
What was your routing and how much were your taxes and fees?