Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
How would they verify if the other person is ur boyfriend/girlfriend?
You have to live together at a same address and be able to provide proof of that. Note: you don't need to be married so you should refer to your bf/gf as your "spouse" when you contact JMB.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:00 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Guava
Note: you don't need to be married so you should refer to your bf/gf as your "spouse" when you contact JMB.
You are wrong. It clearly states it requires "婚姻関係" between spouse. You will need marriage license for proof.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/use/ticket.html
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JALPak
You are wrong. It clearly states it requires "婚姻関係" between spouse. You will need marriage license for proof.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/use/ticket.html
You are quoting the Japan region site. As far as the American region is concerned, marriage is not required. It has always been like that since at least 15 years given that a lot same-sex domestic partners couldn't legally get married and still can't in the American region (the region also covers South America). Discriminating against domestic partners was and is illegal in California where JMB American region is based.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:27 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Guava
You are quoting the Japan region site. As far as the American region is concerned, marriage is not required. It has always been like that since at least 15 years given that a lot same-sex domestic partners couldn't legally get married and still can't in the American region (the region also covers South America). Discriminating against domestic partners was and is illegal in California where JMB American region is based.
Didn't know OP is in the Americas region.

For California, persons of opposite sexes may not constitute a domestic partnership unless one or both of the persons are over 62 years of age. Living together doesn't automatically mean you are domestic partners. But if you have recent personal experience redeeming for boyfriend/girlfriend who is not your domestic partner, then I will take your words for it.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Fuel surcharges on EK itineraries not in the USA

Does anyone know if JAL is collecting fuel surcharges on EK awards that are not in the US? For example PVG-DXB-NBO? If so, how much are they usually?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:57 pm

I just spoke to a JAL agent to get more detail on lap infants.

This could be useful to someone who is adding a lap infant. JAL refers you to Emirates to purchase a lap infant fare and allows Emirates to link the ticket with an adult award.

Emirates charges exactly 10% of the adult fare as shown on matrix or google flights or whatever.

Last edited by su9062; Jun 7, 2016 at 2:21 pm Reason: added more detail.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by su9062
I just spoke to a JAL agent to get more detail on lap infants.

This could be useful to someone who is adding a lap infant. JAL refers you to Emirates to purchase a lap infant fare and allows Emirates to link the ticket with an adult award.

Emirates charges exactly 10% of the adult fare as shown on matrix or google flights or whatever.
FYI I had the same experience with Alaska on a J redemption back in October 2014. Took a few calls to EK to sort it out, but it was 10% of their current J fare per ITA Matrix.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by graj08
Does anyone know if JAL is collecting fuel surcharges on EK awards that are not in the US? For example PVG-DXB-NBO? If so, how much are they usually?

Thanks in advance.
My total charges for JFK->MXP->DXB->DOH in F were $75.15 with an outlay of 100k JMB points. Booked in mid-Feb for December.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:40 pm

Is there anyway I can calculate tax on a reservation before I transfer the required amount of miles?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Is there anyway I can calculate tax on a reservation before I transfer the required amount of miles?
When I did some EK redemptions using JL miles early last year, I was able to call the USA number and get an estimate of taxes. IME it matched exactly what ITA quoted (minus the base fare and YQ).
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:03 am

is there the possibility to book an F award MXP-JFK-MXP on Emirates? Because the JAL redemption page for emirates does not mention these zones. If it is possible, how much would it be? I guess 100.000 right? And how do I check availability, on emirates or on another site?

Thanks for the assistance
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by elgato
is there the possibility to book an F award MXP-JFK-MXP on Emirates? Because the JAL redemption page for emirates does not mention these zones. If it is possible, how much would it be? I guess 100.000 right? And how do I check availability, on emirates or on another site?

Thanks for the assistance
Yes it should be possible.

Yes it is 100k miles (Between 6,001 and 10,000 miles roundtrip)

I use the Qantas award search tool to check availability.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Can DFW-DXB-LYS award routing be booked?

Using EK's web site I can't seem to pull up flights from DFW-DXB-LYS or SFO-DXB-LYA but can pull up SEA-DXB-LYS.

I'd like to book starting from DFW or SFO for the A380.

Does anyone know if JAL can book DFW-DXB-LYS as one award?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Using EK's web site I can't seem to pull up flights from DFW-DXB-LYS or SFO-DXB-LYA but can pull up SEA-DXB-LYS.

It's distance based so there's no reason why you can't.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965

@:-) Best to further research your routes before booking if its a shower in the sky is that is your aspiration. http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-sep-2016/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.