Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:15 pm

So it sounds like JL started charging YQ on EK flights originating in the US.
Is this correct?
If yes, is it the full YQ ($1K+), or is it a relatively small amount? (I hope it's the latter case)
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
not experienced enough to conclusively answer that question, but i do have a recent datapoint. earlier in june i booked 2 EK tickets, RT JFK-MXP in J, via JAL. total charge to my credit card was $53.66 per person.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:21 pm
LSL

Programs: SPG Plat
Just finished booking JFK-MXP-DXB-CPT-DXB-BKK in F and taxes were $112.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know the award change rules for EK flights? I want to do a RT SFO-DXB in F outbound in May and return in August (2018). Can I book the outbound now and add the return segment when the schedule opens in September. I'm just afraid that by September, the May F space will be completely gone.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:17 pm
LSL

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Does anyone know the award change rules for EK flights? I want to do a RT SFO-DXB in F outbound in May and return in August (2018). Can I book the outbound now and add the return segment when the schedule opens in September. I'm just afraid that by September, the May F space will be completely gone.
You could book the outbound now and a return date that is currently available. Then when the schedule opens up, phone and change your return flight to the date you want.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by LSL
You could book the outbound now and a return date that is currently available. Then when the schedule opens up, phone and change your return flight to the date you want.
Would the 1 year ticket expiry be a problem?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:33 pm
LSL

Would the 1 year ticket expiry be a problem?
Looks like it would be since the ticket is only valid for one year after mileage deduction and all travel needs to be completed within the validity.

So you'll probably have to wait till September to book. Fortunately availability is looking pretty good and you should be fine if you don't have strict dates.

I just booked JFK-MXP in F for October and I managed to get a spot. Last year I booked multiple F flights in September for travel in November including LAX-DXB and availability was fine.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:10 pm

DP Tried to book SFO-DXB-CAI-DXB-MCT-DXB-SFO today in F, 155k + $137, but agent confirmed earlier poster's info about 1 year validity and told me to call back 330 days before departure of the return flight....here's to hoping they don't start collecting YQ before then.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:04 pm

Hi everyone-

Is it possible to book a oneway for 50k JAL miles? Or can this award only be redeemed for the round trip cost?

If a oneway is possible. Does anyone have any experience with the taxes and fees for booking MXP-JFK oneway? Would they be more since it orginates in Europe?

THanks!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
Hi everyone-

Is it possible to book a oneway for 50k JAL miles? Or can this award only be redeemed for the round trip cost?

If a oneway is possible. Does anyone have any experience with the taxes and fees for booking MXP-JFK oneway? Would they be more since it orginates in Europe?

THanks!
Might need a bit more information. Yes it is possible to book a one way using JAL miles. What class of service are you intending to fly? Also, when would you be making the booking? JAL is changing there redemption chart in the near future.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Question for all you experts...

I successfully booked and EK F award ticket using my JAL miles. I am now hoping to change the dates. Checked award availability using Qantas website and awards were available. Called JAL and rep said no availability for new selected dates.

Do they not share the same availability? Should I just try calling back to see if I get a different answer? Is it likely more availability will open?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Question for all you experts...

I successfully booked and EK F award ticket using my JAL miles. I am now hoping to change the dates. Checked award availability using Qantas website and awards were available. Called JAL and rep said no availability for new selected dates.

Do they not share the same availability? Should I just try calling back to see if I get a different answer? Is it likely more availability will open?

Thanks for the help.
Qantas might have phantom availability. What does the EK site say?
Lastly, yes, you could call back again and try, but if you get the same answer, know that is the situation (i.e. no availability to JAL)
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Might need a bit more information. Yes it is possible to book a one way using JAL miles. What class of service are you intending to fly? Also, when would you be making the booking? JAL is changing there redemption chart in the near future.
Looking to book First Class for a MXP-NYC oneway award in July 2018. Do I still have time to book this?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
Looking to book First Class for a MXP-NYC oneway award in July 2018. Do I still have time to book this?
Chart changes October 1st so you should still have time. Also, the chart change is pretty mild.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:31 am

Chart changes October 1st so you should still have time. Also, the chart change is pretty mild.
Can you point me in the right direction for reading/updates about the award chart changes?

Also, can anyone confirm if I book a one way award in Emirates First class, originating in Europe (MXP), what the taxes and fees will be? My experience on other carriers, is that these fees and taxes are much higher when originating in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.