Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using JAL points on EK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I had the same experience a few years ago. They could see YYZ-DXB-YYZ but not DXB-KHI-DXB.

EDIT: I ended up booking YYZ-DXB-DAR-DXB-YYZ.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You are in the award/miles game, so these things happen. Dont panic.
First, did you confirm (on Qantas and Emirates sites) the availability you saw several weeks ago to be still there at of the time you called in yesterday?
Yes, the seats were available.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I had the same experience a few years ago. They could see YYZ-DXB-YYZ but not DXB-KHI-DXB.

EDIT: I ended up booking YYZ-DXB-DAR-DXB-YYZ.
Did they ever mention why they couldn't see DXB-KHI-DXB?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyer248
Did they ever mention why they couldn't see DXB-KHI-DXB?
No, and I was never able to resolve the issue.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
This has been mentioned previously, but i thought i'd give a datapoint on how JAL handles YQ + taxes from EU-Asia.

I called to quote YQ on 2 itineraries in Emirates First Class:

1) CDG-DXB-MLE-DXB-HKG, taxes quoted were $609

2) JFK-MXP then CDG-DXB-MLE-DXB-HKG (same routing), taxes quoted were $211

So it seems like JAL is imposing YQ on non-US routes, but as long as the initial departure flight is from the US, it seems like YQ is not charged. I do suspect as long as you have 1 US flight within your journey should get rid of the YQ charge though.

Last edited by jazzmailman; Oct 28, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by jazzmailman
So it seems like JAL is imposing YQ on non-US routes, but as long as the initial departure flight is from the US, it seems like YQ is not charged. I do suspect as long as you have 1 US flight within your journey should get rid of the YQ charge though.
I just got off the phone with JMB trying to book ORD-DXB-CAI-KHI-ORD. They quoted taxes/fees of $185/pax. With a US/UAE leg, I was expecting to hear taxes and fees of $78.20. Anyone have a link with the US/UAE max of $78.20?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:25 pm

Can anyone ease my mind? I have zero experience with JAL awards (except for a mileage bank account, lol) and I'm wanting to book 5 awards on EK metal (3 biz / 2 first) ... I'm just nervous to transfer nearly 400K SPG (which will take a while, to maximize SPG's 5K bonus) and then run into unforeseen problems when booking. I see availability on EF, AS, etc ... lots of it ... but still ... just feeling uneasy since it's such a large sum and uncharted territory. What do y'all think?

Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: QF Gold, Velocity Gold, HHonours Gold and many others
Hi Guys,

Looking at using some SPG points and transfer them over and considering my options for a Europe trip in 2018.

QR Availability is limited and CX has rubbish connections so think I'll go Emirates but trying to work out the points requirements.

PER-DXB-ZRH or FRA -DXB-PER it's between 16,000 and 17,000 mile trip as per the JAL Calculator.

So would this be 100,000 points or 120,000 points for redemption on Emirates in Business class? Also what are the fuel taxes being charged ex Aus as the info I can find seems outdated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:24 am

Tried to book an EK award and after waiting 45 minutes (called at 6am), the agent said the system integration isn't currently allowing EK redemptions. Anybody else get the same since Nov 16th? Don't care to HUCA for up to an hour again.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:17 am

can anybody confirm how many miles needed to use on emirates business class from FLL to BKK? It looks like 80k, but can't get anybody on the phone, want to find out for sure before transferring spg points
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Can anyone ease my mind? I have zero experience with JAL awards (except for a mileage bank account, lol) and I'm wanting to book 5 awards on EK metal (3 biz / 2 first) ... I'm just nervous to transfer nearly 400K SPG (which will take a while, to maximize SPG's 5K bonus) and then run into unforeseen problems when booking. I see availability on EF, AS, etc ... lots of it ... but still ... just feeling uneasy since it's such a large sum and uncharted territory. What do y'all think?

Thanks
So glad I followed my gut feeling and didn’t do this! I would have needed to do 7 SPG transfers to JAL (in 60K increments) to maximize the 5K bonus from SPG and no way would have been able to do in time prior to JAL shutting down EK awards and now re-enabling them with huge surcharges. I saved myself from a $9,000 mistake.

Ouch! https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...thout-warning/
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
So glad I followed my gut feeling and didn’t do this! I would have needed to do 7 SPG transfers to JAL (in 60K increments) to maximize the 5K bonus from SPG and no way would have been able to do in time prior to JAL shutting down EK awards and now re-enabling them with huge surcharges. I saved myself from a $9,000 mistake.

Ouch! https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...thout-warning/
Some of us had transferred SPG points Nov 20-23. And if you hadn't waited, you would have gotten it.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 29, 2017 at 7:28 pm Reason: Rule 12
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:50 am

why is this happening on JAL, but very low fees if using alaska miles?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I am rethinking my strategy now and considering flying HKG-DXB-JFK, and 6 months later BOS-DXB-SEZ. This should be ok (especially the JFK/BOS open jaw), and should eliminate the YQ, correct?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by bernyx
why is this happening on JAL, but very low fees if using alaska miles?
Business decision. the ticketing airline FFP (JAL or Alaska) decides whether to absorb the YQ or pass it on to the users.
JAL simply decided it could no longer stomach the YQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.