Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sodaisei
This year I had some flights on BA and Iberia and I thought that since I’m going to fly a lot to Japan it might be a good time to get JAL status (basically aiming JGC). I flew JAL to London (nought on BA) but then it seems it didn’t count as jal group flight. The Iberia flight I bought using jal website also counted just as 1. All this was economy but then in a few months I’ll start to fly business to Europe (but they’ll make me fly cheap so maybe Iberia or BA).

I am starting to understand why people who try to get JAL status do only 国内 mileage runs. Am I right?
If your BA flight is issued by JAL with a BA flight number, it does not count as JAL group, if it is issued with a JL flight number it counts as JAL group. If your JL flight has a BA code it does not count as a JAL group flight.

For the current double FOP campaign Feb to July it is clearly stated that JAL group flights does not include codeshare. So even if your BA flight with a JL number counts as JAL group flight for the regular accrual, it does not for the campaign.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by sodaisei
This year I had some flights on BA and Iberia and I thought that since I’m going to fly a lot to Japan it might be a good time to get JAL status (basically aiming JGC). I flew JAL to London (nought on BA) but then it seems it didn’t count as jal group flight. The Iberia flight I bought using jal website also counted just as 1. All this was economy but then in a few months I’ll start to fly business to Europe (but they’ll make me fly cheap so maybe Iberia or BA).

I am starting to understand why people who try to get JAL status do only 国内 mileage runs. Am I right?
before addressing the question, as already mentioned above, the flight number, the operating carrier, and of course booking code determine accrual on "jal group".
1. JAL flight number operated by JAL - straightforward jal group flight (e.g. JL043 HND-LHR)
2. JAL flight number operated by partner - jal group flight (e.g. JL7121 HND-LHR operated by BA)
3. Partner flight number operated by JAL - NON jal group flight (e.g. BA4609 HND-LHR operated by JL) and earns based on partner accrual.
4. Partner flight number operated by partner - NON group flight (e.g. BA006 HND-LHR) and earns based on partner accrual.

Only flights in cases 1 and 2 fulfill the requirement to accrue half of the FOP on jal group flight.
Many overseas based JMB members earn on a combination of 1, 2 and 4 to gain status. case 3 is frankly a loss of FOP, but only good to get on cheaper AA/BA fares while flying on JAL.
the corona relief double FOP campaign until July 31st only applies to case 1 (JAL flight number operated by JAL).

domestic japan accruals are at 2x standard, compared to Asia/Australia 1.5x and Europe/north America 1x accrual.
so, cheaper and easier to gain status by doing japan domestic mileage/fop runs.

one tip is to fly from Europe to Asia via Singapore/Hong Kong/Bangkok to connect onto JL and earn fop for jal flights. finding such through fares is not easy though.]

however, the great fare available at the moment is Sydney - tokyo - Paris in premium economy all on JL metal for around 1500 usd.
earns tons of FOP (29,377 return before corona relief double fop, or 58,754 if flown before the campaign expires).
unfeasible at the moment, but you can only dream big.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:16 pm

JMB contact info for mileage requests?

Hi,
Newbie on the JAL mileage bank and this forum. Is there a contact form / email address where we can send supporting documents for mileage requests? I submitted a couple of requests online recently but name doesn't match exactly. Would need to submit e-ticket and boarding passes but haven't found a way to do so on the JAL website (European region). Thanks in advance
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Thank you for your answers.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
Newbie on the JAL mileage bank and this forum. Is there a contact form / email address where we can send supporting documents for mileage requests? I submitted a couple of requests online recently but name doesn't match exactly. Would need to submit e-ticket and boarding passes but haven't found a way to do so on the JAL website (European region). Thanks in advance
just call jal and get specific direction about it. Temporary changes of call centre operating hours in Europe - JAL
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:07 am

Thanks, I did call the European centre (during new business hours): calls still get redirected to the Japan office, where the agent informed me that the Europe mileage bank desk is closed for the time being, and that it not possible to get in touch with them (!). Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:40 pm

Thanks, I did call the European centre (during new business hours): calls still get redirected to the Japan office, where the agent informed me that the Europe mileage bank desk is closed for the time being, and that it not possible to get in touch with them (!). Has anyone had a similar experience?
Um, just ask the agent to help you! Did they refuse to help?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:39 pm

The agent said they cannot help as the European mileage bank desk is closed, and they do not know when it will re-open.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:00 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
The agent said they cannot help as the European mileage bank desk is closed, and they do not know when it will re-open.
If names don't match you aren't eligible for miles
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:56 am

Thanks, that's the second part of the story: I would need to update my account info as it is not possible to do so online (I had to leave part of my last name out when I first sign up for a mileage bank account as it didn't fit in the online form).

I asked the agent whether there is an online form / email I could send a copy of my passport to, but again the European centre is closed, so no luck! Is it really that difficult to get in touch with JAL mileage bank via email?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that's the second part of the story: I would need to update my account info as it is not possible to do so online (I had to leave part of my last name out when I first sign up for a mileage bank account as it didn't fit in the online form).

I asked the agent whether there is an online form / email I could send a copy of my passport to, but again the European centre is closed, so no luck! Is it really that difficult to get in touch with JAL mileage bank via email?
there’s an online contact me form you can fill out. It allows you to upload a file too. Just look for the contact us link at the bottom of the page
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:42 pm

Thanks, I had already tried that but I think that form is only available for the US region. (At least I got a response saying that they only deal with queries from US-based members, and that they could not help in this case, and to get in touch with the European region!).
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I had already tried that but I think that form is only available for the US region. (At least I got a response saying that they only deal with queries from US-based members, and that they could not help in this case, and to get in touch with the European region!).
Well, here you go. If the US office won't handle it for you, then you will have to wait for the UK office to reopen as that's the office that is responsible for processing your request.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:43 pm

Ok, thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: Free agent
I managed to secure 2 pairs of F awards for Feb 2021 but the JMB reservation number for one of the pairs won't work. I've tried adding the first letter of the middle name and tried both names with the number. I called in to confirm with AA and it was the same number they gave me initially. Everything is ticketed and confirmed and we've got seats assigned but I always get leery when I can't check directly. Any ideas besides calling in again?

EDIT: Update, called in and the previous agent had told me one incorrect letter.

Last edited by MSYtoJFKagain; Apr 13, 2020 at 7:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.