Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:39 am

Please feel free to point me at a thread where this is discussed, but:

I'm looking at redeeming multiple J seats on partner miles (AA/QF) from North America to Japan and then Australia, in circa May 2022. For QF, their chart is distance-based and YVR/SEA-NRT are within one band but the other options (SFO, LAX, SAN, then moving eastward) all would cost more miles.

How reliable would the YVR and SEA flights be for having a proper fully-flat bed in J? They're currently scheduled into March/April 2022 on 788s with the Sky Suites (Apex), but is there a risk of equipment swap to something else or the older 788 fitout? I would be happy with Apex suites or reverse herringbone, but I would be miserable if I redeemed miles and ended up in something angle-flat or recliner.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
Please feel free to point me at a thread where this is discussed, but:

I'm looking at redeeming multiple J seats on partner miles (AA/QF) from North America to Japan and then Australia, in circa May 2022. For QF, their chart is distance-based and YVR/SEA-NRT are within one band but the other options (SFO, LAX, SAN, then moving eastward) all would cost more miles.

How reliable would the YVR and SEA flights be for having a proper fully-flat bed in J? They're currently scheduled into March/April 2022 on 788s with the Sky Suites (Apex), but is there a risk of equipment swap to something else or the older 788 fitout? I would be happy with Apex suites or reverse herringbone, but I would be miserable if I redeemed miles and ended up in something angle-flat or recliner.
Fully reliable I would say. JAL has even advertised that all North America flights are with full flat seats. Though at time I think that has included 767s with Vantage seats.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:04 am

I would happily accept Vantage seats too! I just don't want anything that's angled, or de facto angled, like the last-gen business on Qantas and Qatar which just sagged terribly.

Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 5:53 am

2 for the group before I hopefully redeem some miles tonight:

How long after ticketing/in advance of travel would we need to buy our lap infant’s ticket? (We’d be in business with no bassinet needed, and our reason for waiting would be to simplify things into one infant transaction if we upgraded a J award to F a few weeks out from travel)

On a related note, how likely do people think it is that currently-suspended JFK-HND flights will actually be reinstated by next May, and what happens if we buy or redeem for one of those flights and it never returns—likely just moved to another JAL flight same class same day?

EDIT: Still very curious about my second Q, but can now confirm re: the first one that I can pay the 10% fare fee for my lap infant at any point, basically up until the day of departure, and it can be done via AA rather than having to go via JAL. AA can also handle upgrading that paid lap infant fee from J to F if we use miles to upgrade our own tix and the infant fee has been paid already at the J fares.

Last edited by gutenmorgan; Jul 14, 2021 at 11:25 am
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: JGC premier
My knowledge about JGC/JMB program is getting a bit rusty since I no longer fly as much after corona, so pardon me but.. if my memory serves correct, JGCP members should get a total of 8000 (5000+ 3000) FOP from first flight with JAL, right? I found out they changed the step stealthily to now requiring registration for the 5k point, which I registered for, but only got this part. are there any change in step for the 3k part? TiA
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
My knowledge about JGC/JMB program is getting a bit rusty since I no longer fly as much after corona, so pardon me but.. if my memory serves correct, JGCP members should get a total of 8000 (5000+ 3000) FOP from first flight with JAL, right? I found out they changed the step stealthily to now requiring registration for the 5k point, which I registered for, but only got this part. are there any change in step for the 3k part? TiA
​​​​​​The 3000 does indeed seem to have disappeared.
bakaneko85 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
[QUOTE=bakaneko85;33381506]if my memory serves correct, JGCP members should get a total of 8000 (5000+ 3000) FOP from first flight with JAL, right? /QUOTE]
It is a year by year benefit, and JAL publishes the benefit for each year on the JMB promotions page (link).
For 2021, the published benefit is only the 5K FOP AFTER registration. (link)
FYI, For 2020, the published benefit is WAS the 5K FOP WITHOUT registration and another 3K FOP for JGCP/Diamonds. Link is no longer available.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:57 pm

For non Japan-based JMB members, how long does it take before new members are added/appear in a Family Club account? I had some orphaned JMB points and was looking to to book award tickets in 2022 for my wife’s parents.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Does JAL sells upgrades at the airport during check in, particularly ex SIN? Thks alot for any answers!
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microtat
Does JAL sells upgrades at the airport during check in, particularly ex SIN? Thks alot for any answers!
From Y to PY yes. Y to J upgrades for JMB points if you are booked in K or above. Otherwise not.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
From Y to PY yes. Y to J upgrades for JMB points if you are booked in K or above. Otherwise not.
Was thinking if they have anything W to J, No luck thank you very much!
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microtat
Was thinking if they have anything W to J, No luck thank you very much!
You can also do miles upgrade from PY to J, as that is above K....
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can also do miles upgrade from PY to J, as that is above K....
haha, thks for the tips, a pity i dun hv a jmb/jgc account…
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Just a quick question.

Notice that for 2022 calendar range in Jal Brand and their online shop, I notice the cabin attendant version is missing and it is not mention anywhere.

Doe that mean it will be not produced for 2022 edition?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by minizian
Just a quick question.

Notice that for 2022 calendar range in Jal Brand and their online shop, I notice the cabin attendant version is missing and it is not mention anywhere.

Doe that mean it will be not produced for 2022 edition?
Interesting. Last year, they said the CA calendar would be back for two years. Pilot calendar is not on the shopping site either but a new HAC one is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.