Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Seyan
So all of these differences do not really matter except seat selection (which should not be a problem in C?). Would be using JMB for miles
So there is no risk AY would reroute me? Had that case a few years ago when booking code share... they exceeded their sales quota for JAL and rerouted us to Helsinki instead of direct flight...
all the points mentioned above are the disadvantages when booking code share flights.
-If any seat in C is ok, then you are ok with having the "leftover seats" next to the galleys or toilets. (selecting seats on codeshares is more complex than you think, and there are many restrictions on what you can actually select before check in opens (which is only t-24, and all you get is "leftover seats")
-If mileage accrual is not an issue, then you dont mind missing out on any flight bonuses or status achievement. Accruing on JMB (JAL mileage bank) is lucrative if you have JAL flight numbers (either on JAL flights or JAL codeshares with JAL flight numbers). Also, qualifying for status on JAL requires half of the accrued miles (called FOPs) to be accrued on JAL flight numbers (either on JAL flights or JAL codeshares with JAL flight numbers). So, it is advantageous to stay on JAL flight numbers (and avoid other oneworld codeshares on JAL flights).
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by brabb12
So my wife, son and I are planning a trip to go to Okinawa from Okayama. So OKJ-OKA I would like to use points, when I look on JAL's webite in the award reservation, they offer a direct flight to book with points. When looking at alaska airs website for award space they show the route but making a stop in Haneda. OKJ-HND-OKA. I would like to avoid stopping in Haneda. Is this possible to book using AA miles or Alaska miles? Just flying OKJ-OKA. Thanks.
check if you can see the space on BA Avios website. It is likely a case of availability to JAL partners.
The correct forum to ask your question is (for whatever miles you want to use) is
the Alaska forum here (link)
or
the American airlines forum here (link).
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:37 am

If you are using another airline's FFP, please do not ask questions in here .
Also, if you are trying to do something you know will break the rules, don't do it. It will just make it more difficult to other members trying to do the right thing .
I'm sick of people trying to find a hole in the rules. This is not how Japan works.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
all the points mentioned above are the disadvantages when booking code share flights.
-If any seat in C is ok, then you are ok with having the "leftover seats" next to the galleys or toilets. (selecting seats on codeshares is more complex than you think, and there are many restrictions on what you can actually select before check in opens (which is only t-24, and all you get is "leftover seats")
-If mileage accrual is not an issue, then you dont mind missing out on any flight bonuses or status achievement. Accruing on JMB (JAL mileage bank) is lucrative if you have JAL flight numbers (either on JAL flights or JAL codeshares with JAL flight numbers). Also, qualifying for status on JAL requires half of the accrued miles (called FOPs) to be accrued on JAL flight numbers (either on JAL flights or JAL codeshares with JAL flight numbers). So, it is advantageous to stay on JAL flight numbers (and avoid other oneworld codeshares on JAL flights).
Thanks for your feedback.
We have decided to book only premium economy directly via JAL homepage; the "saved" money will be used to book better hotels
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mhy
Yea I qualified via a flight on Dec 30.
My Diamond service selection has just arrived and is currently under quarantine for 14 days since JAL sent this directly from Japan as usual LOL. If you don’t get your service selection package within a week or two and perhaps with your card then maybe something is wrong
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:04 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by JALPak
My Diamond service selection has just arrived and is currently under quarantine for 14 days since JAL sent this directly from Japan as usual LOL. If you don’t get your service selection package within a week or two and perhaps with your card then maybe something is wrong
I just got my Diamond card last week, and my JAL coupons arrived via DHL today in the mail.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
So April is coming soon, new uniform will be rolled out as usual with all these Corona virus going about here and there?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
So April is coming soon, new uniform will be rolled out as usual with all these Corona virus going about here and there?
I would assume it does, since production has already shifted, and as items will need to be replaced, there is probably not really stock of the old one to keep it running for long.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would assume it does, since production has already shifted, and as items will need to be replaced, there is probably not really stock of the old one to keep it running for long.
I reckon JL wont do last min U-turn on this in light of the current situation. Heck even the JTA twitter page is doing daily countdown to the new uniform debut.

I think I am going to miss the current (soon to be obsolete uniform) uniform design. Some say it looked dull but for me it is quite classy and subtle (hint of JL red) in my opinion.

Glad i managed to buy few of this in flight sales item inspired by the scarf (image taken from the net) few years ago.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:10 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
I reckon JL wont do last min U-turn on this in light of the current situation. Heck even the JTA twitter page is doing daily countdown to the new uniform debut.

I think I am going to miss the current (soon to be obsolete uniform) uniform design. Some say it looked dull but for me it is quite classy and subtle (hint of JL red) in my opinion.

Glad i managed to buy few of this in flight sales item inspired by the scarf (image taken from the net) few years ago.
that’s all you got?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
that’s all you got?
At that time I do not even not enrolled in JMB , does acquiring Todufuken seal given by crew on international routes counted (after some persuasion lol) ?

Obviously I cant compared be compared to long term Diamond/JGP members
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:56 pm

Forgive me if this has already been addressed in here but does anyone know if JAL will be upgrading their F Class Suites anytime in the near future? It seems to be a bit dated.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jmr851
Forgive me if this has already been addressed in here but does anyone know if JAL will be upgrading their F Class Suites anytime in the near future? It seems to be a bit dated.
With a bit of internet sleuthing, it looks like the current generation of seats debuted in 2012, and a previous series of first class seats were introduced in 2002 on the 747. With that cadence, plans could've been around 2022, though it's possible/likely a new seat program would be delayed to ensure the company comes out of the current SARS 2.0 crisis in okay shape. I don't know if there's been rumors in Japanese communities.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jmr851
Originally Posted by lokisnake
With a bit of internet sleuthing, it looks like the current generation of seats debuted in 2012, and a previous series of first class seats were introduced in 2002 on the 747. With that cadence, plans could've been around 2022, though it's possible/likely a new seat program would be delayed to ensure the company comes out of the current SARS 2.0 crisis in okay shape. I don't know if there's been rumors in Japanese communities.
My best guess is that we will see something new when the A350-1000 starts to be delivered. I think that is in 2022.

The current cabins are in the process of getting a refresh. Which is just new carpets, fabrics, colour schemes, etc. The core of the cabin remains the same.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
This year I had some flights on BA and Iberia and I thought that since I’m going to fly a lot to Japan it might be a good time to get JAL status (basically aiming JGC). I flew JAL to London (nought on BA) but then it seems it didn’t count as jal group flight. The Iberia flight I bought using jal website also counted just as 1. All this was economy but then in a few months I’ll start to fly business to Europe (but they’ll make me fly cheap so maybe Iberia or BA).

I am starting to understand why people who try to get JAL status do only 国内 mileage runs. Am I right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.