Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:32 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Japan Meteorological Agency has it on its Typhoon watchlist, and has assigned it a number.
just checked, it was still tropical depression alpha this morning. Damn it! Now it’s typhoon no 3

Flying over Shirahama right now. And it’s been cloudy outside for the past 10 min or so.Guess i I will just stay at the hotel tomorrow
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Question

Definitely a noob to JAL, so...here'goes:

Will be flying longhaul JAL summer 2020 from either SFO/LAX to NRT/HND. (I have flexibility to fly from other airports). If I purchase a biz fare (D class for example) is there a way to purchase an upgrade to F (assuming there is upgrade avail on my flight). I used LAX and SFO as an example due to the fare being half that of flying from DFW.

From my research, it looks like it will either be via miles or cash/cc at the airport, but after spending all day researching this without finding the answer on my own, I come to everyone hat-in-hand in a flame retardant suit, hoping to find the answer. I just have no idea of the logistics/how to/if it's even possible.

JL061 out of LAX is what I'm eyeing specifically on a 777 that is showing a first class cabin.

Thanks!

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Jun 27, 2019 at 8:00 pm Reason: added flight number
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by meunger11
Definitely a noob to JAL, so...here'goes:

Will be flying longhaul JAL summer 2020 from either SFO/LAX to NRT/HND. (I have flexibility to fly from other airports). If I purchase a biz fare (D class for example) is there a way to purchase an upgrade to F (assuming there is upgrade avail on my flight). I used LAX and SFO as an example due to the fare being half that of flying from DFW.

From my research, it looks like it will either be via miles or cash/cc at the airport, but after spending all day researching this without finding the answer on my own, I come to everyone hat-in-hand in a flame retardant suit, hoping to find the answer. I just have no idea of the logistics/how to/if it's even possible.

JL061 out of LAX is what I'm eyeing specifically on a 777 that is showing a first class cabin.

Thanks!
You can upgrade with miles from JMB, not with any other OW programs. There is no cash upgrade offers to F. You could of course reprice your ticket in to F but that is probably not what you meant.

DFW does not have F. So if you want to be able to do a miles upgrade, LAX, SFO, ORD, JFK are the gateways at the moment.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
You can upgrade with miles from JMB, not with any other OW programs. There is no cash upgrade offers to F. You could of course reprice your ticket in to F but that is probably not what you meant.
This is great. Thank you! Do you know what the mileage upgrade cost typically is into F? 25,000? 50,000? etc. (I assume this would fluctuate based on route and other factors) just looking for a ballpark idea.

DFW does not have F. So if you want to be able to do a miles upgrade, LAX, SFO, ORD, JFK are the gateways at the moment.
Okay great, this confirms what I've been finding elsewhere as well. Thank you, @CPH-Flyer
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

It’s summer 2020. A lot will change for summer schedule
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

It’s summer 2020. A lot will change for summer schedule
Indeed, there is no knowing what happens in almost a year.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi. I'll be flying LAX-NRT-BKK-RGN next month with 22hrs overnight layover in BKK connecting to PG-operated codeshare flight to RGN - all in one PNR. Will the agent at LAX allow me to retrieve my checked luggage at BKK as this is a very long overnight connection? Many thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kornner
Hi. I'll be flying LAX-NRT-BKK-RGN next month with 22hrs overnight layover in BKK connecting to PG-operated codeshare flight to RGN - all in one PNR. Will the agent at LAX allow me to retrieve my checked luggage at BKK as this is a very long overnight connection? Many thanks!
of course. You can always tell them you need to retrieve items from checked luggage during this long layover and have them only check through to BKK
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: JMB Diamond
Hi everyone. I have a question about flying out of London Heathrow airport on JL44 departing at 19:15.
I'm actually flying into London much earlier on an intra-Europe flight that lands at London City airport in the AM.
Ideally I'd like to head straight from LCY to LHR and spend all those hours in transit getting some work done before my flight, especially since T3 has some pretty good lounges for OW Emeralds.
Assuming I manage to check in on line, will I be able to get into the departure side? My worry is that since I will be very early (maybe 5-6 hours before my flight), I'd somehow not be allowed in.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thepalace
Hi everyone. I have a question about flying out of London Heathrow airport on JL44 departing at 19:15.
I'm actually flying into London much earlier on an intra-Europe flight that lands at London City airport in the AM.
Ideally I'd like to head straight from LCY to LHR and spend all those hours in transit getting some work done before my flight, especially since T3 has some pretty good lounges for OW Emeralds.
Assuming I manage to check in on line, will I be able to get into the departure side? My worry is that since I will be very early (maybe 5-6 hours before my flight), I'd somehow not be allowed in.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Heathrow is generally fine with home printed or mobile boarding passes. So as long as you get one from online check in, you should be fine. Provided that is, that you don't have luggage to check. You will only be able to check luggage 3 hours before departure.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: JMB Diamond
Thanks CPH-Flyer for the very quick response. That's what I was hoping for: that I should be okay with OLCI+mobile boarding pass as long as I don't have luggage I need to check in (which I don't).
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:52 pm

What JL/OW status is needed to select a seat in row 5 on 77W in advance? I am not desperate to get a seat in this row but am just curious. I booked a round trip in X class through an OTA, but am seeing this row fully occupied or blocked both ways. I have no status with JL but am a Plat Pro with AA (=OW Sapphire) and have the AAdvantage number attached to the reservation. I guess I need OW Emerald or some kind of high status with JL?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kentauta
What JL/OW status is needed to select a seat in row 5 on 77W in advance? I am not desperate to get a seat in this row but am just curious. I booked a round trip in X class through an OTA, but am seeing this row fully occupied or blocked both ways. I have no status with JL but am a Plat Pro with AA (=OW Sapphire) and have the AAdvantage number attached to the reservation. I guess I need OW Emerald or some kind of high status with JL?
Yes, OWE.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:21 pm

Yes, OWE.
Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:01 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Yes, OWE.
Damn, so even when I reach JGC Sapphire, I won't be able to select 5A / 5K...is it at check-in only for anyone other than OWE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.