Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JALPak
WTH JAL just charged me for the THIRD time on the same ticket!
Actual charges or just authorization holds?
Old May 3, 2018, 5:58 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Actual charges or just authorization holds?
Actual charges! They posted 3 transpacific business class charges with the same ticket number. Called both Amex and JAL, neither of them knows what's going on and can't stop this...the 4th charge can appear at any time now. This is ridiculous. I will be so pissed if I can't use my Amex during my upcoming trip because I run out of limits.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: JMB
Hello there,
first post here and I have a couple of questions, maybe you can help me...

1) Normally I like to make a reservation on the airlines homepage. But in the last few months I often saw cheaper tickets (much cheaper!) at seat24 or similar places. Is there a chance you can phone the airlines reservation call center and try to get that cheaper ticket price referring to the ticket dealer? This works when trying to get a cheaper price for hotel reservations
2) Can Rail&Fly with Deutsche Bahn in Germany only be booked in advance on the phone? Or is it possible to book this package afterwards?
3) Does JAL consider expanding their JALCard to Europe? There is a JALCard for US...
4) Is JAL really that restrictive regarding sports baggage? I want to participate at a Japanese triathlon event next year and so I want to use my own bike instead of renting one. ANA allows to use one of the two free pieces of baggage to be a bike suitcase with no extra charge... could not find any information on the JAL homepage

Thanks for any answer in advance
Old May 4, 2018, 8:27 pm

either way much better than SSIII
Do you still echo this sentiment for SS6 vs SSIII? The 789 flown to HNL has SSIII installed. So its either that or the 767 SS6.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reverted
Do you still echo this sentiment for SS6 vs SSIII? The 789 flown to HNL has SSIII installed. So its either that or the 767 SS6.
that’s a tough call. But are very tight. I will just pick based on schedule in this case.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: JMB
Really no one can help me with my questions?
Old May 8, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Seyan
4) Is JAL really that restrictive regarding sports baggage? I want to participate at a Japanese triathlon event next year and so I want to use my own bike instead of renting one. ANA allows to use one of the two free pieces of baggage to be a bike suitcase with no extra charge... could not find any information on the JAL homepage
Welcome to Flyertalk! I don't have answers for your other questions and don't have direct experience for this one but ..

if you expand the "Notes on surfboard" under Checked Luggage:

Other sports equipments will be handled as normal baggage and will be charged extra baggage fee under JAL regulations if weight or size is over free baggage allowance.

Contradicting this is an external blog where someone took their bike on both domestic and international segments and while marked as oversize, was not charged the oversize fee. YMMV of course
Old May 8, 2018, 8:44 am

Hey guys,
Trying to book an AA milage flight on JAL Business/First. Looking for places in the USA where JAL flies from. Tricky part is trying to get to Seoul. I also come from a regional airport so if I find a flight from say Chicago to NRT (ideally ICN, but I see most go to GMP from HNT), could I combine that with a flight from my regional airport to Chicago on American airlines? Looking for flights on BA website for this summer, but not having much luck. Does JAL release any more seats say 2 weeks before the flight? Thank you so much!
Old May 8, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Seyan
Hello there,
first post here and I have a couple of questions, maybe you can help me...

1) Normally I like to make a reservation on the airlines homepage. But in the last few months I often saw cheaper tickets (much cheaper!) at seat24 or similar places. Is there a chance you can phone the airlines reservation call center and try to get that cheaper ticket price referring to the ticket dealer? This works when trying to get a cheaper price for hotel reservations
2) Can Rail&Fly with Deutsche Bahn in Germany only be booked in advance on the phone? Or is it possible to book this package afterwards?
3) Does JAL consider expanding their JALCard to Europe? There is a JALCard for US...

Thanks for any answer in advance
1) I doubt it very much if we are talking about a simple return flight. Very complex itineraries might be better to call than to do on airline homepages

2) I have never heard of JAL in connection with DB. Is this a JAL product, and do you have a link. Or a DB product?

3) I doubt it very much. But there is no knowing.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwinuked
Hey guys,
Trying to book an AA milage flight on JAL Business/First. Looking for places in the USA where JAL flies from. Tricky part is trying to get to Seoul. I also come from a regional airport so if I find a flight from say Chicago to NRT (ideally ICN, but I see most go to GMP from HNT), could I combine that with a flight from my regional airport to Chicago on American airlines? Looking for flights on BA website for this summer, but not having much luck. Does JAL release any more seats say 2 weeks before the flight? Thank you so much!
you need to check on AA forum. Since you are redeeming with AA miles, it’s their redemption rules that determine whether that’s allowed or not.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Just wanted to say thanks for the help earlier. Airport upgrades to Domestic Class J went without a hitch, and most definitely worth the 1000y extra when seats are available.

Now that I have enough miles (30k miles) for a one way Business class upgrade and miles expiring in the middle of next year, I'm looking to book another trip before I lose them.
A question on award space... are the award seats that show up in the calendar for full award tickets (80k miles) the same as the upgrade seats? ie: For example if June 1 shows up in the award calendar, can I book a Premium Economy (Booking Class W) ticket normally with cash for that day, then will it show up as an upgrade request in the ticketing details on JAL's website? Or are the two types of awards in different 'buckets'?
Old May 8, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Just wanted to say thanks for the help earlier. Airport upgrades to Domestic Class J went without a hitch, and most definitely worth the 1000y extra when seats are available.

Now that I have enough miles (30k miles) for a one way Business class upgrade and miles expiring in the middle of next year, I'm looking to book another trip before I lose them.
A question on award space... are the award seats that show up in the calendar for full award tickets (80k miles) the same as the upgrade seats? ie: For example if June 1 shows up in the award calendar, can I book a Premium Economy (Booking Class W) ticket normally with cash for that day, then will it show up as an upgrade request in the ticketing details on JAL's website? Or are the two types of awards in different 'buckets'?
they are different but having award seat available is a good indication for upgrade availability. Also, if upgrade is available, you don’t really need to buy the expensive W fare. E or K fare will be enough.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:21 am

you need to check on AA forum. Since you are redeeming with AA miles, it’s their redemption rules that determine whether that’s allowed or not.
Thank you!
Old May 8, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
2) I have never heard of JAL in connection with DB. Is this a JAL product, and do you have a link. Or a DB product?
https://accesrail.com/products/db-rail-fly/

It's a DB product more or less. Accessrail allows booking trains as "flights" via 9B carrier code. JAL does have an eticket interline agreement so it's possible, but I'm not sure how familiar the average phone rep is going to be with it. If you can feed them the "flight" numbers and such, maybe? Like any other segment, if you add it after ticketing, it will probably incur a change fee and possibly a reprice.

Maybe a knowledgeable travel agent, particularly one familiar with DB's Rail & Fly rules would be easier to work through.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: JMB, AMC

they are different but having award seat available is a good indication for upgrade availability. Also, if upgrade is available, you don’t really need to buy the expensive W fare. E or K fare will be enough.
Thank you.
I did mean to say E fare... all these letter codes become a jumble to the infrequent flier =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.