Wiki Posts
Search

Points booking - non-cancelable?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Points booking - non-cancelable?

Hello -

Looking for some advice. I'm considering cancelling my res at the Intercontinental HK. I booked 2 nights for 60,000 points each, they (Twitter and voice line) are saying that if I cancel, they will charge me one night's rate (but the points go back) No depoist shown on my card, and the T/C says...

"Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation. Points + Cash bookings are charged immediately, and cancellations are refunded in points only."
​​​​​​​

Has anyone had experience disputing this charge with the hotel direclty? or even their credit card?

Thanks in advance for tips
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is there to dispute? you have a non cancellable rate
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Slowly, OP needs to give more info. A points redemption in general is cancelable and refundable up to a certain day (e.g. 24 or 48hrs prior to check in). It is not clear if OP already at that stage. Unless it some special period like New Year or so where special restrictions may apply.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
Slowly, OP needs to give more info. A points redemption in general is cancelable and refundable up to a certain day (e.g. 24 or 48hrs prior to check in). It is not clear if OP already at that stage. Unless it some special period like New Year or so where special restrictions may apply.
thanks for calming Dave down. So the details; stay is 12/28 and checkout on New Year’s Eve. (3 night total) the terms and conditions state cancellation will result in loss of deposit. And that cash+points will result in the points being refunded but not the cash. (Again this was an all points booking)

So what they are saying is tfat I made a deposit...?...
and that it’s equal to 1 night....

Except that isn’t really clear in their T/C - so thet is what is in dispute. Perhaps interpreting the policy differently and don’t know how others would understand their intention. Or perhaps I’m not seeing the full TC
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:45 am

The terms that you have posted indicates that it is a restricted booking which has no free cancellation that was made

If you cancel, then you are liable for the cancellation penalty

Originally Posted by demue
Not always - it is possible to have points bookings which are inflexible

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers

Except that isn’t really clear in their T/C - so thet is what is in dispute. Perhaps interpreting the policy differently and don’t know how others would understand their intention. Or perhaps I’m not seeing the full TC
What it is stating is that there is no cancellation allowed and if you cancel/fail to show, then there will be a penalty ; this is no different to any other points reservation cancelled after latest cancellation time

being the christmas/new year period, it is not that surprising that a hotel may have stringent cancellation penalty - if on the original booking confirmation, then it is something that was agreed to
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The terms that you have posted indicates that it is a restricted booking which has no free cancellation that was made

If you cancel, then you are liable for the cancellation penalty

Not always - it is possible to have points bookings which are inflexible

What it is stating is that there is no cancellation allowed and if you cancel/fail to show, then there will be a penalty ; this is no different to any other points reservation cancelled after latest cancellation time

being the christmas/new year period, it is not that surprising that a hotel may have stringent cancellation penalty - if on the original booking confirmation, then it is something that was agreed to
I think the issue is that there is two different paragrpahs of T/C one on the email and one on the reservation details. The reservation agent over the phone never told me about the T/C of cancellation policy when I made the reservation. So I will make an attempt to cancel once more with the hotel (10 days notice should suffice) and if they don't change their mind - I'll do a chargeback. No card present and not telling me about the cancellation policy should make it an easy dispute.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:27 am

I think the issue is that there is two different paragrpahs of T/C one on the email and one on the reservation details. The reservation agent over the phone never told me about the T/C of cancellation policy when I made the reservation. So I will make an attempt to cancel once more with the hotel (10 days notice should suffice) and if they don't change their mind - I'll do a chargeback. No card present and not telling me about the cancellation policy should make it an easy dispute.
The hotel has the details of the confirmation that it gave and that there was no cancellation allowed. 10 days is irrelevant is the policy does not allow the cancellation

You have even posted the confirmation that it is non cancellable

1 nights cost sounds like a lot better value than the other being 120,000 points tbh
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

thanks for calming Dave down. So the details; stay is 12/28 and checkout on New Year’s Eve. (3 night total) the terms and conditions state cancellation will result in loss of deposit. And that cash+points will result in the points being refunded but not the cash. (Again this was an all points booking)

High season for IC HK at your booking time.
Good luck with your chargeback.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The hotel has the details of the confirmation that it gave and that there was no cancellation allowed. 10 days is irrelevant is the policy does not allow the cancellation

You have even posted the confirmation that it is non cancellable

1 nights cost sounds like a lot better value than the other being 120,000 points tbh
10 days is irrelevant I agree. But what’s not irrelevant is that the hotel did not disclose this policy at the time of booking which was made over the phone.

Im not sure what you mean by 1 nights cost sounds like a lot better value than the other being 120,000 points but it’s probably also irrelevant.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
High season for IC HK at your booking time.
Good luck with your chargeback.
well, if it’s high season then they know they can fill the room and might not want to burn a client. Who knows their corporate philosophy though.

The chargeback shouldn’t be hard - no CC present, and not disclosing the T/C should be enough for Chase.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster

I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated though.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:42 am

Interesting that this seems so clear cut to others.

As a casual IHG member, I would always believe that the deposit is your points. And so you will lose the points you booked with (The deposit, is after all, your 120,000 points).

Of course the others here know what they are talking about & are almost certainly technically correct, but as a consumer/customer, it's very easy to argue that you have been misled & your CC should be all over it as an unauthorised / fraudulent transaction if needs be.

Deposit: "a sum payable as a first instalment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."

You can prove what your deposit was (120,000 points) and that these points are non-refundable. Therefore you lose your deposit of points, you've made no cash deposit whatsoever. Very simple for a credit card company Unless they have a different definition of deposit, they are ambiguous.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold

well, if it’s high season then they know they can fill the room and might not want to burn a client. Who knows their corporate philosophy though.

The chargeback shouldn’t be hard - no CC present, and not disclosing the T/C should be enough for Chase.
It is extremely well known Flex and award nights on premium dates often come with less flexible than normal cancelation terms. You can never simply assume award/flex are cancel always upto 24hours before checkin, especially Xmas, New Year, Chines New Year, Easter periods.
On a Flex-rate cash booking the IC would no doubt have charged cost of first night at booking time against guest cancel/noshow, with award night the IC won't charge as then refunding at checkin/departure is a bit of a pain.
(Note on booking IHG hotel can charge the room booking fee ADR (full payment) Flex Rate deposit, at any time post booking including upto arrival/checkin. Not taking a CC deposit with 1-2day of booking from supplied CC does not let you off, whilst noshow on flex/award can will be collected usually after no show at checkin date)

1. You seemingly admit you booked a non-cancel 2night stay, where penalty is 1nights cost. Looks like you would rather get 60k of 120k points back, versus 120k refund and $$$ CC charge for the first night.
2. Unfortunately with award nights in this circumstance, similar to a noshow on a 2nighter/multinight award booking, IHG t+c's are that hotel refunds the points (120k for your 2nights) and charges the BAR for your first night to your CC provided at time you booked your stay.
3. Do not attempt CC chargeback, your CC provider will take a dim view of trying to avoid a legit hotel fee, and the hotel can in any case defend the charging of 1nights room cost

Last edited by scubaccr; Dec 18, 2017 at 6:48 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
It is extremely well known Flex and award nights on premium dates often come with less flexible than normal cancelation terms. You can never simply assume award/flex are cancel always upto 24hours before checkin, especially Xmas, New Year, Chines New Year, Easter periods.
On a Flex-rate cash booking the IC would no doubt have charged cost of first night at booking time against guest cancel/noshow, with award night the IC won't charge as then refunding at checkin/departure is a bit of a pain.

1. You seemingly admit you booked a non-cancel 2night stay, where penalty is 1nights cost. Looks like you would rather get 60k of 120k points back, versus 120k refund and $$$ CC charge for the first night.
2. Unfortunately with award nights in this circumstance, similar to a noshow on a 2nighter/multinight award booking, IHG t+c's are that hotel refunds the points (120k for your 2nights) and charges the BAR for your first night to your CC provided at time you booked your stay.
3. Do not attempt CC chargeback, your CC provider will take a dim view of trying to avoid a legit hotel fee, and the hotel can in any case defend the charging of 1nights room cost
With regards to point 2 - if this was booked over the telephone (which appears to be the case), then it would have needed to be explained that IHG T&Cs are a refund of the points and instead a Credit Card charge will be made for a no-show. A website can just show the T&Cs which would instead need explaining over the phone. OP can claim it was mis-sold (depending on what was said, I can only speculate) and they, IHG, should listen to the call again.

EDIT: Unless you're willing to argue a CC chargeback (and then potentially risk IHG Rewards Suspension), convincing IHG will be hard work, I'd just like to think you do have a small chance, rather than no chance

Last edited by Lionheart; Dec 18, 2017 at 7:04 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lionheart
Interesting that this seems so clear cut to others.

As a casual IHG member, I would always believe that the deposit is your points. And so you will lose the points you booked with (The deposit, is after all, your 120,000 points).

Of course the others here know what they are talking about & are almost certainly technically correct, but as a consumer/customer, it's very easy to argue that you have been misled & your CC should be all over it as an unauthorised / fraudulent transaction if needs be.

Deposit: "a sum payable as a first instalment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."

You can prove what your deposit was (120,000 points) and that these points are non-refundable. Therefore you lose your deposit of points, you've made no cash deposit whatsoever. Very simple for a credit card company Unless they have a different definition of deposit, they are ambiguous.
No not at all, advance CC payments from CC is always taken by the hotel, any award points do not goto hotel but IHG corporate. IHG Corporate then pay the hotel post guests stay for guests award nights, and if guest noshows (or cancels a non-cancel/non-penalty award stay) reported by hotel to IHG corporate, IHG refunds points to guest rather than IHG paying hotel, and the hotel then needs bill the guest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.