Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Looking at the recent RA experiences, diminished club f&b etc., it seems like there are better deals in Bangkok now, despite being RA. What's the regulars stance on the hotel now? I'm looking for 4 or 5 relaxing days in a great hotel. Would the CP even be a better option now than the IC? Any other favorites in BKK?

Thank you
I did around 25 nights there across last year and still think the lounge at the IC is pretty solid, the staff are great drink selection is good although no champagne but that's down to the high tax in Thailand. I personally also think the food offering is decent if your just looking to have snacks with your drinks rather than make a full dinner out of it, they regularly have a centre peace on top of the cold buffet and warm canapes such as roast beef that they carve in the lounge and whole salmon en croute to name a couple of things I have had.

I think location is also pretty good if looking to relax as your with in walking distance to multiple malls and places to eat without having to tackle the traffic and if you don't want to leave the hotel to eat I quite enjoy Theo Mio and the Fireplace grill.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Looking at the recent RA experiences, diminished club f&b etc., it seems like there are better deals in Bangkok now, despite being RA. What's the regulars stance on the hotel now? I'm looking for 4 or 5 relaxing days in a great hotel. Would the CP even be a better option now than the IC? Any other favorites in BKK?

Thank you
I have seen no reason to defect from the IC - it meets all my needs, and as a very regular customer over 10 years, I get some great treatment. That said, I’m also a fan of the HI Bangkok across the driveway. Much better pool than the IC IMO.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by shoven
I did around 25 nights there across last year and still think the lounge at the IC is pretty solid, the staff are great drink selection is good although no champagne but that's down to the high tax in Thailand. I personally also think the food offering is decent if your just looking to have snacks with your drinks rather than make a full dinner out of it, they regularly have a centre peace on top of the cold buffet and warm canapes such as roast beef that they carve in the lounge and whole salmon en croute to name a couple of things I have had.

I think location is also pretty good if looking to relax as your with in walking distance to multiple malls and places to eat without having to tackle the traffic and if you don't want to leave the hotel to eat I quite enjoy Theo Mio and the Fireplace grill.
My two "Go To" hotels are the IC and Conrad (JW Marriott is another but not an option if I want a suite). I love the Conrad's Terrace Suite, so book base and upsell if rooms free via NOR1. Managers know not to put me in Deluxe Suite too (too big) and give to another guest. Heck Conrad often gives me the standard suite even if I don't go for NOR1 option as too busy out and about that stay. Food Beer Sparkling wine in Conrad for me is more my taste than in the IC too.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Thanks for the assuring notes on the IC. I'll toss a coin - SO Sofitel vs. IC.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:37 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
For starter, the location of the ICH is much better. Although Sala Daeng BTS skytrain and Lumpini MRT subway stations are close to the Sofitel SO, ICH BKK is smack in the center of town. You cannot get more central than this location.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Kalboz
.....ICH BKK is smack in the center of town. You cannot get more central than this location.
I think "centre of town" is a concept that means different things to different folk, visitors and residents.

I'm guessing you like the IC's location, which is fine. And I'm sure shopping malls are a focus for many visitors.

But Silom has attractions of its own: not least in it banking institutions, which probably make it the financial centre of the city. I understand there's also a smattering of fun-time establishments in the vicinity
Kalboz likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:21 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think "centre of town" is a concept that means different things to different folk, visitors and residents.

I'm guessing you like the IC's location, which is fine. And I'm sure shopping malls are a focus for many visitors.

But Silom has attractions of its own: not least in it banking institutions, which probably make it the financial centre of the city. I understand there's also a smattering of fun-time establishments in the vicinity
Sofitel So is a lovely property located at Sathorn (or Sathon as some might call it) which is a 15-minutes walk from Silom and its debaucherous fun zone. This is a great area across the street from Lumphini Park with many other properties located at Sathorn such as The Sukhothai and the Banyan Tree hotels. There are also many highrise banks and businesses that are located here. But if you are in town for anything other than meetings with these banks and businesses, other locations are more convenient.

/
Asok, Silom, and Sathorn could all be considred centers of Bangkok, but the ICH BKK, on the other hand, is located in the "real" center on town (Ratchaprasong Intersection) and the BTS entry is just outside its doors, placing the entire city at your fingertips. Two huge malls surround the ICH BKK (Gaysorn and Central Chitlom), CentralWorld is just across the street (Ratchadamri), Big C around the corner, Central Embassy a short walking distance, and Siam's mega-malls are just one BTS stop away. Also, at the entrance to the ICH BKK, the Vishnu Shrine, the famous "four-faced Buddha" Erawan Shrine is just across the street, the Trimurti Shrine across the road in front of Central World, the Ganesha Shrine further down in front of Isetan, and finally opposite side is the Hindu god Indra Shrine.

Erawan Shrine just across the street from ICH BKK
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Kalboz

Asok, Silom, and Sathorn could all be considred centers of Bangkok, but the ICH BKK, on the other hand, is located in the "real" center on town (Ratchaprasong Intersection) and the BTS entry is just outside its doors, placing the entire city at your fingertips. Two huge malls surround the ICH BKK (Gaysorn and Central Chitlom), CentralWorld is just across the street (Ratchadamri), Big C around the corner, Central Embassy a short walking distance, and Siam's mega-malls are just one BTS stop away.

I'm not attempting to promote Silom/Sathorn as the centre of Bangkok. Merely pointing out that it is a centre for many activities (mine!), just as Ratchaprasong is a centre for those who love malls. There's a whiff of silliness to claiming one of many centres as paramount. Though just for the record the true centre is in Bang Rak, between the British Club and Samboon

I polled my Thai colleague who stumped me completely by coming up with Sanam Luang, and I suppose back-packersmight move it a couple of hundred metres north to Khao San.

A definite answer is the geographers centrum: cut out a shape of the city and find at which point it will balance on a needle No arguing with that.
minz56 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
SO Sofitel might be an awesome property (if you hold Platinum with Accor), but its location is very inconvenient.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I have just been looking at room availability and noticed they are currently offering 3 of the restricted suites for sale Premier,Executive and Ambassador don't think I have ever seen them come up for sale on the app before, the hotel must be at very high occupancy.

I have been upgraded to the executive suite before but did not realise how much more it goes for compared to a corner suite almost 3x the price.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by shoven
I have just been looking at room availability and noticed they are currently offering 3 of the restricted suites for sale Premier,Executive and Ambassador don't think I have ever seen them come up for sale on the app before, the hotel must be at very high occupancy.

I have been upgraded to the executive suite before but did not realise how much more it goes for compared to a corner suite almost 3x the price.
In effect 2x std rooms but far pm excess of 2x room rate

Premier / Exec suites are not worth the extra $$$$'s. Cheaper / Better to purchase 2x connected rooms ! I am not even sure Amb Suite is value for money
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
In effect 2x std rooms but far pm excess of 2x room rate

Premier / Exec suites are not worth the extra $$$$'s. Cheaper / Better to purchase 2x connected rooms ! I am not even sure Amb Suite is value for money
Yeah I have to agree I liked the Exec well enough as an upgrade but would not pay the rate they are asking for it, corner suite has more than enough room for 2 which is all I need, saying that the normal rooms are an ok size if its just for 2.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I am debating between the Hyatt Erawan and the IC. I dont have status anymore but will book the Lounge Access room. So how are the lounge's evening offerings?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Just thought I'd say that myself and my parents had a fantastic stay at the IC Bangkok in Club Suites. The staff were incredible. The lounge has great views and great food & drink.

Would love to go back but it is pricey in those Club Suites.

Anyhow, I thoroughly recommend it :-)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
How were the canapes? Any hot ones? Was it still a buffet style service in the evening? The last time I was there was 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.