Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Is IC damaged?

Central World, the huge shopping centre which is very closed to the IC Bangkok, was badly damaged in fires and has collapsed, officials report.

Any news from the IC Bangkok?

PS: official note from IC
*** NOTE: Protests by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) have been taking place in the vicinity of InterContinental Bangkok and Holiday Inn Bangkok hotels since April 3, 2010. The government announced a State of Emergency in Bangkok on Wednesday, April 7. The red shirt demonstrations at Rajdamri road are still ongoing and could affect street traffic around the hotel due to the volume of people. Local transportations including BTS Sky train and Ploenchit Road in front of the hotel are now suspended until further notice. We suggest that you check with your Foreign Ministry for any updates and possible travel advisories. For the safety and security of our guests and employees, InterContinental Bangkok and Holiday Inn Bangkok have at this stage decided to suspend all guest services and not to accept any reservations until further notice. Security measures remain elevated at the hotel. For more information, guests may contact a reservations center by e-mail. For InterContinental Bangkok please, e-mail [email protected] and for Holiday Inn Bangkok please, e-mail [email protected] ***
Old May 22, 2010, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
While you can still book rooms on the website, the hotel confirmed to me today that they are closed. I understand that there was some damage done to the hotel. I will not soon be going back to Bangkok. What a tragedy.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
While you can still book rooms on the website, the hotel confirmed to me today that they are closed. I understand that there was some damage done to the hotel. I will not soon be going back to Bangkok. What a tragedy.
I have canceled my stay for the coming weekend and will now travel straight to to HK instead. I emailed about my cancellation and canceled it on line. I am sure they are very busy but never got an acknowledgment from the hotel (Club Manager and their mailbox) itself.

Globalist
Old May 25, 2010, 11:12 am

Can anyone confirm that the IC is closed / open?

I have 3 nights booked there next week and I'd like to know.

If they are closed, and I don't cancel, will the first night guarantee still apply (I'm RA).
Old May 25, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Our office in Bangkok is across the road in Maneeya Building. I am flying up there today and have been told by my colleague that it is reopening today. I have a reservation for HI next door so will report my experience later when I arrive.

The IC is open but the HI is closed and might be for a while. Those with HI bookings like me are being accommodated in the IC with the exact rate and privileges that they booked at HI.

Bangkok is quiet and calm and the hotel people were very welcoming.

Last edited by jackrussellterrier; May 26, 2010 at 3:44 am Reason: update
Old May 26, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
Can anyone confirm that the IC is closed / open?
I am in Thailand and spoke with the IC Bangkok this morning.

Their agent told me they are open again from "today" and hinted they may have a welcome back promotion soon.

Good news.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:58 am

TVM.

Ponders... If I booked a HI room at a lower rate how would they map those onto IC rooms? Would I get a Plat upgrade rather than a RA one and would I get my RA privileges, presumably not?
Old May 26, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
TVM.

Ponders... If I booked a HI room at a lower rate how would they map those onto IC rooms? Would I get a Plat upgrade rather than a RA one and would I get my RA privileges, presumably not?
I am not a plat so not sure how they would handle that but in my case they made a separate IC booking for me. Certainly at the moment the hotel is very quiet. A very limited breakfast buffet but everything cooked to order. Of course I am sure they will gradually run more and more services as the hotel receives more guests.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
i'm interested in any updates on this as we have a night in BKK this Friday 4th June

have been hesitating between marriott resort which is lovely and would probably suit the plan of relaxing between long flights with a 2 year old, but as an RA hard to completely dismiss the IC which is a fait bit more expensive.

I had started considering booking a better level room at the HI, so this news is certainly interesting

Any clues/tips as to what I should book at HI to get something good at IC (and i presume they would honour RA then?) or indeed if HI is due to reopen this week? thanks..
Old May 31, 2010, 7:21 am

Well I'm there from Wednesday to Friday but I kept the IC boking, although I switched to a lower 'holiday' rate which includes 25% off meals.

I'll update the thread when I get there, assuming that BA deliver me.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Upgrades for Ambasadors, policy of hotel

I had emailed the Intercontinental in Bangkok regarding their policy of Upgades for Ambasadors and received the following reply:

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for you email, we are pleased to confirmed the benefits of Ambassador Member will be automatic upgraded to the next 01 categories room type.

Such as if you need to stay at Club corner suite with benefits have to book at Club InterContinental room.

Room Types and Rates: per room per night

Grand Deluxe room : Single/ Double THB 7,300++ per room per night with breakfast
Extra bed for extra persons at THB 1,500++ per person

Executive Deluxe room : Single/ Double THB 8,100++ per room per night with breakfast
Extra bed for extra persons at THB 1,500++ per person

Club Deluxe room : Single/ Double THB 9,100++ per room per night including breakfast and club benefit.
Extra bed for extra persons at THB 2,000++ per person

Club Corner Suite room : Single/ Double THB 13,200++ per room per night including breakfast and club benefit.
Extra bed for extra persons at THB 2,000++ per person

Benefit Added at Club Intercontinental Lounge.
ˇ Exclusive breakfast at Club InterContinental Lounge from 06:00 – 10:30hrs.
ˇ Evening cocktails and canapés at Club InterContinental Lounge from 17:30-20:00hrs.
ˇ Non alcoholic beverages served at Club InterContinental Lounge through out the day
ˇ Afternoon tea at Club InterContinental Lounge from 14:30-17:00 hrs
ˇ 3 complimentary items of laundry/pressing service upon arrival
ˇ Unlimited city call (except mobile phone)
ˇ One hour usage of Club meeting room per day
ˇ High Speed Internet access in guest room and club lounge

Hotel policy as following

- Rate (++) subject to 10% service charge and 7% government tax. Any future change in taxation will be charged effective from the date of implementation.

- Rates are payable in Thai based on the prevailing exchange rate on the time of stay.

- Check in time is 14:00 Hrs.

- Check out time is 12:00 Hrs. After that until 18:00 hrs charge half rate and if over 18:00 Hrs. charge one night.

- To avoid cancellation charge please advice 1 day in advance

For a safe and comfortable ride from the airport to the hotel, we suggest our limousine service as the following:

( ) BMW 7 Series at THB 2,600.- net per car per trip (maximum for 3 adults/car with 3-4 pieces of suitcases)

( ) Volkswagen Van at THB 3,000.- net per car per trip (maximum for 5 adults/car with 6 to 7 pieces of suitcases)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
sweets61250, those rates are why I probably won't bother staying at the IC BKK anytime soon. It is almost painful to miss out on Amb/RA treatment, though it sounds like they are pretty variable there. The BKK Marriott resort has been wonderful each time we've been and at a far cheaper rate - we usually get upgraded from a basic room to a junior suite which is big enough and it is all very pleasant.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmboŽ/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by morepointsplease
sweets61250, those rates are why I probably won't bother staying at the IC BKK anytime soon. It is almost painful to miss out on Amb/RA treatment, though it sounds like they are pretty variable there. The BKK Marriott resort has been wonderful each time we've been and at a far cheaper rate - we usually get upgraded from a basic room to a junior suite which is big enough and it is all very pleasant.

The Marriott in Thonburi is a pretty decent hotel but you are hardly comparing like with like in terms of location as well as aforementioned service .Still i remember the Marriot's junior suite upgrade and indeed it was pleasant enough-think it was booked on priceline too That pesky Baht is for sure making IC stays pricey.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by docklander
The Marriott in Thonburi is a pretty decent hotel but you are hardly comparing like with like in terms of location as well as aforementioned service .Still i remember the Marriot's junior suite upgrade and indeed it was pleasant enough-think it was booked on priceline too That pesky Baht is for sure making IC stays pricey.
Fair point re location though personally i would rather be by the river and away from the hecticness of the city centre. the boat is a very lovely way to get around and it feels like a treat/holiday just being there. the service has always been more than impeccable. lounge access, free laundry, any requests we make dealt with promptly and graciously...
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by morepointsplease
sweets61250, those rates are why I probably won't bother staying at the IC BKK anytime soon. It is almost painful to miss out on Amb/RA treatment
Wow, rates have doubled since last year. I will have to look for another place myself then as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.