Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
I'm pretty sure that the IC and the HI next door will re-open as soon as the protests end. They've already lost too much money to delay re-opening any further.

That said, I would advise NOT booking any trips to Bangkok until this whole fiasco ends. There has already been bloodshed and Abhisit is warning that the military will use force if the protestors don't disperse. There's no telling when the standoff will end and it's better not to risk it.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
I was in BKK April 29th for 2 days and really no real issues. I was also there for the bombing of Pat Pong Station, and even though i was 100 yds away again i didnt feel unsafe.
I would not worry about the demonstrations.. However I did not get to stay in the IC it was closed.. However did try the new Meridian and loved it.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by why fly
I was also there for the bombing of Pat Pong Station, and even though i was 100 yds away again i didnt feel unsafe.
This wasn't you, was it??
Old May 11, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Spoke to the IC 2 days ago, we were told that they were closed and so was the HI next door. All malls close to the hotels were closed as well.
Not that we are plannning to stay at this hotel as we have decided to go to Royal Meridien.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, HA, NW
Has anyone any recent experience on the "online guarantee"? It states something to the effect of: if you have a booking at the hotel and they are unable to accommodate you, they will book you at a comparable property and your first night is free.

IOW, if I have a booking at the IC Bangkok tomorrow and it is closed, will I be relocated to a comparable hotel and will I get that night comped?
Old May 11, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA,Amex,Hilton,Hyatt,SPG
Originally Posted by Dizzle
Has anyone any recent experience on the "online guarantee"? It states something to the effect of: if you have a booking at the hotel and they are unable to accommodate you, they will book you at a comparable property and your first night is free.

IOW, if I have a booking at the IC Bangkok tomorrow and it is closed, will I be relocated to a comparable hotel and will I get that night comped?
I didn´t know there was such a guarantee but come on: Thai hospitality to foreigners is really great, therefore you shouldn´t squeeze money out of the hotel under these circumstances.

I had a two day reservation that was already upgraded to a suite but couldn´t use it since the hotel was closed and accepted it.

An overbooking would be a different situation.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN *G, Priority Club Plat. RA
Originally Posted by Dennis
I had a two day reservation that was already upgraded to a suite but couldn´t use it since the hotel was closed and accepted it.
Hello

What did you do? Booked on your own another hotel? Didn't go at all? Did the Hotel book you into another similar hotel for the same rate?

Cheers
aquaguy
Old May 12, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: BA,Amex,Hilton,Hyatt,SPG
Originally Posted by aquaguy
Hello

What did you do? Booked on your own another hotel? Didn't go at all? Did the Hotel book you into another similar hotel for the same rate?

Cheers
aquaguy
Didn´t go at all.
I thought, that all troubles would be gone after the PM announced his "five points roadmap" (but that was just a guess) and I could visit a friend in Bangkok.
The hotel suggested me to go to the Marriot for around 6000THB per day (instead of my rate that was almost the half of it) but I declined.
Old May 15, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Recent photo of Holiday Inn gate, next to IC BKK.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=207730000664

Last edited by O Sora; May 15, 2010 at 11:08 am Reason: engRish
Old May 16, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
There's a new U.S. State Department travel advisory for Thailand. The State Department is recommending against all travel to Bangkok and against all non-essential travel to Thailand.

I hope the situation is resolved peacefully, democratically, and expeditiously.
Old May 16, 2010, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Maybe the hotel's Internet site could update its information...

*** NOTE: The red shirt demonstrations in the City Centre at Rajdamri road are still ongoing and could affect street traffic around the hotel due to the volume of people. However, BTS Sky train and Ploenchit Road in front of the hotel are still operating. Report was announced that these rallies will go on with no violence. We suggest that you check with your Foreign Ministry for any updates and possible travel advisories. ***
Old May 16, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
we are due to have a night transit in BKK on 5/6 June. I thought the trouble would be long over by then but it shows no sign of abating - any thoughts on whether I should try to look at changing it or just hoping it improves?

happy to just head straight to the Marriott riverside resort which I assume will be a pretty safe spot?

thanks for any tips..
Old May 16, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by morepointsplease

thanks for any tips..
If IC is still closed, I would suggest :
- Pullman Bangkok King Power (not right in the centre, but very nice property with great outdoor pool, easy access by skytrain)
- Sofitel Bangkok Silom (central location, easy access by skytrain, large rooms)

Both of them are very cheap on 5th June
Old May 16, 2010, 9:42 am

If you only have a short layover and don't want to go into town: There is a pretty nice Novotel directly inside the airport. Was staying there two weeks ago. Shuttle bus every 10 min or so, 5 min ride. Nice pool, really good buffet restaurant, very convenient esp. when you have a very early flight out.
Old May 17, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Maybe the hotel's Internet site could update its information...

*** NOTE: The red shirt demonstrations in the City Centre at Rajdamri road are still ongoing and could affect street traffic around the hotel due to the volume of people. However, BTS Sky train and Ploenchit Road in front of the hotel are still operating. Report was announced that these rallies will go on with no violence. We suggest that you check with your Foreign Ministry for any updates and possible travel advisories. ***
Yeah that's definitely very misleading and could be potentially very dangerous for those who book the hotel without checking the news. Live ammo have been fired between the protestors and the army, and dozens of people (including foreign journalists) have died. If THAT doesn't deter people from going to downtown BKK, I don't know what will!

Hopefully the Thais can find a way to resolve the issue peacefully without further bloodshed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.