Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG SPG KF OW Marco Polo
Unhappy

Originally Posted by demue
I was there on Dec 25 and all was perfect. Got my Club room, got my white wine (over the red), got club access, not charged for liquor (my Thai friends went for the JD Black label & I for the Perrier).

Only thing the Club lounge was jam-packed on Dec 26 and the team really struggling to fill breakfast orders in less then 20mins. If I was them I would have referred guests to the main restaurant to cope but that's just me.

Cheers, Dennis

Hi all

I am new to this forum but thought I would add my 2 cents worth to what Dennis said about the IC BKK club lounge team struggling with the crowd they get.

My husband and I spent 4 nights in the hotel recently and I noticed that if we did not get to breakfast early enough, it was quite a pain getting a table and some adequate service.

Given that it was the Chinese New Year season and many people were on holiday, the lounge was really packed if you arrived around 9am. I noticed one of the servers had a real glum look everyday and this is rare of the Thais!

The food was also quite sad and this again is rare in Thailand where good food is normally easy to find. Prior to this trip, I had just been to IC Huahin at end Dec and wow, the disparity is huge!

I have a few photos of really burnt toast being camouflaged by poached eggs and a really sad looking breakfast steak. I think the lounge staff are really overworked, even at evening refreshments. Even the phad thai sucked!!!

It was my first time at IC BKK and it was a tad disappointing. Prior to reading up on this forum, I booked a club room not knowing that a regular room might have gotten the corner suite anyway with Gold Amb.

I guess I had been spoilt by IC Huahin where WIFI was easily available. IC BKK only provided one username for the broadband and I had to call down for another one twice. They seemed quite unwilling but I was insistent and they gave me another one.

Given that IC is the most upmarket in the IHG group, I felt IC BKK was not a satisfying experience. They were quite sticky with things, even more so than the new CP HK. And this is despite HK being one of those places where everything came with a price tag!

I am not sure I shld be asking this here but if we were to book IC hotels via latestays.com or the likes, can we still earn points?

Sorry if the qn is supposed to go elsewhere!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fern76
Given that it was the Chinese New Year season and many people were on holiday, the lounge was really packed if you arrived around 9am. I noticed one of the servers had a real glum look everyday and this is rare of the Thais!

The food was also quite sad and this again is rare in Thailand where good food is normally easy to find. Prior to this trip, I had just been to IC Huahin at end Dec and wow, the disparity is huge!

I have a few photos of really burnt toast being camouflaged by poached eggs and a really sad looking breakfast steak. I think the lounge staff are really overworked, even at evening refreshments. Even the phad thai sucked!!!
I was there over Chinese New Year as well, and usually turned up for breakfast at the Club after 10am, and was directed to the restaurant downstairs 2 out of the 4 days because the lounge was too crowded...I've never seen it as crowded in all my previous stays. I much preferred to eat downstairs though there's nothing wrong with the food in the Club. The evening refreshments were quite good...then again, food is a personal taste.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
I was at the IC BKK last weekend, experience posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13438949-post3285.html
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I need help:

We will be in BKK from May 26-May30, 4 nights.
I would like to book the F&F rate but also use my Amb OneNight Free Cert.
Any recommendations as to how we should combine these?

Last edited by djjaguar64; Mar 16, 2010 at 7:12 pm
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Any suggestions?
Email the hotel and see if they will honor the BOGO with the F&F rate. Some hotels do, some don't. If they do, bring a print out of the email with you to the hotel as "proof", just in case.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they don't can we then book the F&F rate May 26-27 & book a regular Best rate for the last night?
I am waiting for an email from the hotel.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
@ the IC BKK right now for my xxth visit.I must say the more they recognise you the better the service.Food in the Club has improved immeasurably .Incidentally off for another visit to the IC Hua Hin....there were no vacancies so i called AMB services and used the RA room guarantee .Was offered a double ocean view which was subsequently upgraded to Terrace pool(same as before) but the front desk manager has kindly upgraded further to Ocean View Suite.Just shows ...there's always availability if it suits .Looking forward to using the BOGO-well they do want Bt 8000.I like the IC HH - so looking forward.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got a reply from the Reservations desk that you cannot use the Free Night cert when booking the F&F rate.

I sent another email asking if one could book 3 nights with the F&F rate and last night as Best Avail.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: IHG, BA
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Got a reply from the Reservations desk that you cannot use the Free Night cert when booking the F&F rate.

I sent another email asking if one could book 3 nights with the F&F rate and last night as Best Avail.

Not the experience I had.

I was there in September and booked Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday all under F&F rate.

When I checked in I was taken to Club lounge to check in, and was aksed for the F&F sheet. I also handed over a BOGO with it and had no problem.
Sat night was removed when I checked out.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
Not the experience I had.

I was there in September and booked Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday all under F&F rate.

When I checked in I was taken to Club lounge to check in, and was aksed for the F&F sheet. I also handed over a BOGO with it and had no problem.
Sat night was removed when I checked out.
But for the F&F rate you would have been charged in advance, so they gave you a refund on your CC?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the second response from the hotel:

Refer to your question please be informed that the Weekend Certificate can be used on weekend only. Therefore, you may make a reservation under Best Flexible rate on period Mar 26 and use the Weekend Certificate on the night of Mar 27 and the rest you can make the reservation under Friends and Family rate.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:11 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Airport transfers

I've read a bit about taking taxis at BKK airport but despite the challenges I think we'll go for this option rather than taking the limousine from the hotel for THB 2600.00. I believe the taxi should cost around THB 400 (including tolls) and should take around 45 minutes.

How about for the way back though? I'm reading that you shouldn't take the taxis from outside the hotel? Is this because they don't turn on the meter? Where else do you get a taxi if you are going to the airport? If I'm leaving on a Friday around noon from the hotel I would think the traffic isn't that bad to BKK? Should I plan for 1h or maybe more?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:17 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sydfly
I've read a bit about taking taxis at BKK airport but despite the challenges I think we'll go for this option rather than taking the limousine from the hotel for THB 2600.00. I believe the taxi should cost around THB 400 (including tolls) and should take around 45 minutes.

How about for the way back though? I'm reading that you shouldn't take the taxis from outside the hotel? Is this because they don't turn on the meter? Where else do you get a taxi if you are going to the airport? If I'm leaving on a Friday around noon from the hotel I would think the traffic isn't that bad to BKK? Should I plan for 1h or maybe more?
Around 280 Baht including tolls usually, so I round it up to 300. From the hotel, the doorman will get a taxi for you. Just make sure the meter is turned on, before you leave the hotel - else threaten to get out. Never had a problem.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by Savage25
Around 280 Baht including tolls usually, so I round it up to 300. From the hotel, the doorman will get a taxi for you. Just make sure the meter is turned on, before you leave the hotel - else threaten to get out. Never had a problem.
I travelled first time to BKK in Jan and i booked online through www.orientalescape.com. 800THB each way, you can book online and pay the driver cash on meeting them at BKK airport. No need for a credit card deposit or anything. I was surprised that the driver actually turned up at BKK airport.

Another option is that at BKK airport, they have an IC person there who can book a transfer for about 1000thb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.