Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:04 pm

Two days ago my room was listed as 01 Grande Deluxe room, right now it is 1 KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL if it ends up that I don't get club benefits no big deal but just seems silly and pointless to even "upgrade" one to this room type. I just experienced this in IC Landmark 72 in Hanoi last week. Booked cheapest room and got an "upgrade" to club room that didn't include any club benefits. As far as I can tell there was nothing special about the room being club.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
At IC BKK there is definitely nothing special about the room, they are all the same. Club means higher floor (noise still travels) and better bathroom amenities and maybe the tea bags in the room are better quality. Aside from these few soft changes the room layout, main furnishings etc. are the same for Grand Deluxe, Executive and Club and only the benefits differ.

So a Club room without benefits is basically a Grand Deluxe on a higher floor.

Last edited by demue; Dec 24, 2017 at 9:15 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by demue
At IC BKK there is definitely nothing special about the room, they are all the same. Club means higher floor (noise still travels) and better bathroom amenities and maybe the tea bags in the room are better quality. Aside from these few soft changes the room layout, main furnishings etc. are the same for Grand Deluxe, Executive and Club and only the benefits differ.

Sounds like another IHG scam to the so called upgrade benefit. After all when this only meaningful benefit for elite members is often fake, IHG should see if they can really keep their menbers.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
After phoning them I gather that, despite past reports of platinum ambassador members (not RA) getting free breakfast or even club access, now they typically just get the required benefits (one-level upgrade to higher floor, free movie, welcome fruits, late checkout)? Can anyone confirm that based on recent experience in the last month or so?

UPDATE: I emailed the hotel and the answer was different. They said that the one level upgrade includes benefits. So Grand deluxe -: Executive w/ free breakfast. Executive -> club w/ lounge access.

Last edited by BigE; Dec 26, 2017 at 1:01 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Last time I stayed was several months ago, maybe even a year. Back then. AMB had a choice as amenity and one option was breakfast at main restaurant. There was a printed leaflet with the choices, but I can't find it now.

However, things have been changing a lot at that property over the last years and usually not.for the better. They are very popular with Middle Eastern and Indian travellers / groups so usually run quite full and hence seem to care less these days. YMMV.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:12 am

Just checked in and can confirm that they still offer complimentary breakfast buffet at Espresso OR cocktail hours at Balcony Lounge 1800-1900.

As for being upgraded to a club intercontinental room they had no idea what I was talking about saying that I was upgraded to a grande deluxe room and that club rooms are full. I said that my reservation was showing I was assigned a club room and was asked to pull up my account to confirm it. Of course now the reservation is showing as grande deluxe. It was still showing club as of this morning. This was explained away as perhaps the upgrade system assuming a room was club due to being on a high floor. I was then asked if I wanted to buy up to a club room, which I declined, didn't ask how it was possible to upgrade to a club room if they are fully booked as I was informed a few minutes earlier.

FYI for anyone staying on popular corp rates, I was asked to show my company ID. Never been asked to show it in the past here. No issues as I had my ID with me but I know a lot of people that abuse this rate here and in many other hotels.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by greendx
Just checked in and can confirm that they still offer complimentary breakfast buffet at Espresso OR cocktail hours at Balcony Lounge 1800-1900.
Is it for any Ambassodor or only if one gets upgraded to Club level? If the first, any idea if it is given on points stays too?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Is it for any Ambassodor or only if one gets upgraded to Club level? If the first, any idea if it is given on points stays too?
Take a look at post 963 in this same thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26168179-post963.html benefit appears to still be the same for Ambassadors.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:04 pm

Upgrade to a Grand Deluxe? That is an odd claim when Grand Deluxe is the entry level room category. Maybe they.meant the high floor part which is nothing to write home about. Things are getting weirder by the day.

Interesting on the corp rates and probably welcome as there is too much abuse going on. At IC Osaka they were also adamant about checking the corp ID or getting a business card. Showed Id and it was fine though I did stop them from making a copy which goes too far in my book.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:51 pm

Yep my reservation is definitely showing deluxe but I did get executive benefits. Not sure how to actually confirm my room type. It’s on the 26th floor if it makes a difference.

My work ID was photocopied. Same thing at JW Marriott Bangkok last month.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:56 am

Often Club rooms are assigned on level 30 and up, but I wouldn't swear on it. Executive benefits (as part of AMB upgrade) are a bit lame as our corporate rate incl. everything it offers except the two items for "pressing" which I argued with them before are not that useful. Make it laundry or pressing and its much better. I don't expect free dry cleaning, but pressing only is silly.

I do not let any hotel copy my corp id card as it has my staff number and that is none of their business. Hotel front offices are not the most reliable with credit card info getting swiped and all so no way are they getting a photo copy of my corp id. Show is fine, if they need something for records a business card will do.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I’m a Plat non-Amb, staying for 3 nights on points (booked into Grand Deluxe), and was offered a free upgrade to Execuitve, which also came with choice of free daily breakfast at Espresso or 2 drinks in the lounge every night. Chose the breakfast. Is this a new benefit? I had read about Plat non-Amb receiving zilch when staying here.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:35 pm

I received the same benefit a few years ago when I was a Non-AMB Platinum.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:28 am

hello all,

i am redeeming reward nights at this hotel next week.

was wondering if you guys get any upgrade, free breakfast for being spire elite?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by demue

Although agreed about the lack of club access, the rooms at this IC are exceptionally nice and much better than your average room at a competing property - say the Grand Hyatt Erawan across the street. The rooms here are specious and for around the same rate as the Hyatt even though Hyatt advertises 42 SQM in accommodations and the IC 45 SQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.