Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is it worth it for me to buy Ambassador status for a week-long stay at this hotel?

From what I gather that will get me a room upgrade (which I received as a Plat on my last visit) and free breakfast?
I gather that I will not get lounge access unless I pay an upcharge of 1700 baht ($50) which seems a bit rich.

In sum maybe not worth it as I can expense meals anyway.

Was not too impressed last time I stayed here but in retrospect the rooms were larger and the location was better than the JW Marriott (proximity to Nana Plaza is not a plus for me). On the flip side, I will miss the lounge.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Trip Report: Currently staying here - received a nice room on the 33rd floor, near end of hall. Would avoid anything between xx11-xx20 as close to elevator. Overall very happy here.

Some of the plus factors (any comparisons are to JW up the street by Soi 3):
  • Many electrical outlets that will accommodate all types of plugs
  • Sizeable bathroom with large counter, huge shower stall, separate tub
  • Stocked frig but no autocharge nonsense so you can add your own beverages
  • Free multiple bottles of water restocked daily
  • Great breakfast buffet at restaurant (included in our corp rate) - waaay better than Marriott lounge.
  • Dinner buffet is also very sizeable but a bit pricey - includes custom sushi, noodles, etc.
  • Awesome pool
  • Excellent customer service in lobby. Housekeeping generally good though forgets to restock laundry bags, etc.
  • Security guy at elevator every time I enter
  • Did not see working girls at lobby bar (unlike some other high end properties)
  • Proximity to upscale Central World and Amarin malls, which have multiple restaurant options that are cheaper than hotel offerings, not to mention starbucks everywhere

Minus factors:
  • Noise from BTS even on 33rd floor (to be fair this is hard to avoid anywhere on Sukhumvit)
  • No lounge access for Plat elites (did not expect per IHG rules but still a minus compared to top levels at other chains)
  • Escalator up to BTS is out of service indefinitely (enjoy sweaty hike to BTS and 7.11 across street) )
  • Hiked down 14 flights when fire alarm went off at 6pm - thankfully was a false alarm.
P.S. Did not join Ambassador - no regrets. I did check out the lounge spread at dinner - it was awesome, way better than JW, and you could make a nice meal of it. Definitely worth $50 upcharge if you plan to eat and drink all day. However they have multiple girls to seat and serve you, so don't expect to sneak in

Last edited by Boraxo; May 15, 2017 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
What is the difference between the Corner Suite and the Club InterContinental Suite? Other than the latter includes Club access. The IC BKK homepage only list the Corner Suite as a room category.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Viennafly
What is the difference between the Corner Suite and the Club InterContinental Suite? Other than the latter includes Club access. The IC BKK homepage only list the Corner Suite as a room category.
Same room, same layout. 31 of these end of floor Corner suites/Club Suites, one at each end. Reason count is only 31 is a few such areas form part of restricted suites like Royal Suite

No point for either RA or Ambassador to book this room "Corner Suite - no club" category type as
a)no upgrade to a higher room for either RA or Ambassador (higher room types excluded, Prem Suite upwards just 7 such higher cat suites)
b)Ambassador pays more for Corner-Suite than club-room which would be upgraded +1cat to Club Suite with Lounge Access
c)Ambassador not only gets no upgrade, but undr Sep2016 t+c's "will not be given Club Access" (so is worse off than booking a Club Room)
d)In theory RA booking Grand Exec with +2cat would get Club Suite, though IC BKK may try to update booking from Grand Exec to Grand Deluxe and give +2cat upgrade to Club Room, if too many RA/Amb book rooms needing upgrade to a Club-Suite
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
if booking using points does Royal Ambassador get upgrade to club?
Old May 15, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Hi does anyone have the current email id of the Club Lounge at the IC Bangkok or some specific person of Manager level.

I am booked in the Club room for 4 nights and have been upgraded to the Suite. Have 1 night booked on points which I need upgraded to the same room.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Just arrived for a one night stay , I have Plat/Amb , arrived at 10am , no room available , so no issue decided to have a coffee whilst waiting for meeting at lunch time ( was given comp drinks voucher x 3)

30 mins later , I was told room was available and upgraded to a very nice suite , i guess its a corner suite , 02 room

Great service , i guess sometimes it pay just to be polite and let things work themselves out
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:23 pm

For last minute bookings, I see that "standard rooms" are sometimes available at low rates. I see no such category on the hotel's website, so I am wondering if this is perhaps a virtual category, i.e. last minute inventory offered at a lower rate but room allocation will actually be "deluxe" etc...

Is this correct, or am I missing something? As Gold Ambassador, I suppose in any case I would be eligible for an upgrade of some kind.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
For last minute bookings, I see that "standard rooms" are sometimes available at low rates. I see no such category on the hotel's website, so I am wondering if this is perhaps a virtual category, i.e. last minute inventory offered at a lower rate but room allocation will actually be "deluxe" etc...

Is this correct, or am I missing something? As Gold Ambassador, I suppose in any case I would be eligible for an upgrade of some kind.
For that you should expect a Grand Deluxe room which is the lowest room category anyways. However even Exec or Club rooms are pretty much the same size and layout wise. Some differences in furnishings and amenities of course.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The hotel currently offers all room types for 35k points.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The hotel currently offers all room types for 35k points.
Just booked two KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL SUITEs for 35k per room :-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Just booked two KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL SUITEs for 35k per room :-)
You certainly owe me a pint :-) I hold a reservation for October which was pretty cheap at 3500 +++ Bhat for a standard room per night. Paying for a suite in "paper points money" was however more tempting.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You certainly owe me a pint :-) I hold a reservation for October which was pretty cheap at 3500 +++ Bhat for a standard room per night. Paying for a suite in "paper points money" was however more tempting.

Oh definitely. You have to burn the points too, not just earn 'em !

I had spotted it already and came on here to see what people said about the hotel as hadn't stayed before. Happy to have a few drinks with you if our paths cross though ;-)

Have stayed in the Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit in a suite with executive lounge access and that was nice (pool was seriously freezing though !) but hoping this IC is even better.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Oh definitely. You have to burn the points too, not just earn 'em !

I had spotted it already and came on here to see what people said about the hotel as hadn't stayed before. Happy to have a few drinks with you if our paths cross though ;-)

Have stayed in the Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit in a suite with executive lounge access and that was nice (pool was seriously freezing though !) but hoping this IC is even better.
The lounge is pretty good and service is not bad at all. Would not pay a leg and and arm for this property, there are better property in Bangkok. However, a two room suite for 35k points is a nice offer and I see myself negotiating on the upgrade they do not owe me
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:38 pm

Ha Ha Ha, always worth a chat with the General Manager :-)

Now just need to find a couple of interesting low cost IHG properties in the UK or Europe to visit in the next few weeks to bump my points back up through Accelerate.
Always like finding places I wouldn't perhaps visit otherwise if it weren't for the sake of hitting a target !

Any ideas ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.