Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
It helps to know if you can use other brands economically due to eg top hyatt/spg/marriott elite status giving you free lounge.

Myself with only IHG and HH status for upgrades + foc lounge access, I find paying for lounge at renaissance/marriotts/hyatts (I looked into it) makes booking those other brands, ie Club Room and zero upgrade, a poor value option.

After a bad experience at Hilton Sukhumvit, and Hilton Millennium in wrong location, I am left with just IC, Conrad, CP and HI Silom for Lounge Access hotels. (sticking with IHG and HH )
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: QF WP/OW Emerald, IHG Spire AMB
Maybe I have been unlucky however the two times I stayed at IC BKK this year the service was very average. I got attitude when checking in, no one around to take my luggage (all bell persons were busy), and also major attitude when attending the lounge (the girl supposed to welcome you was too busy texting on her phone to look at me when I asked about opening times).

For the price they charge and receiving no service as a lowly Spire Ambassador I'd much rather stay next door at HI and spend my cash elsewhere.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thbe
RA gets a Corner Suite for around THB 5.000 to 6.000++ (complementay upgrade).

Could you please write down the list of the many better hotel at similar price level for a suite of 67 sqm or better?
You don't always get a corner suite it depends whether they have sold out, or if you are on a short stay want to wait until 6pm for your suite to be available.

I have had a corner suite once in 4 stays, Executive Suite once (when I paid for a Corner Suite) and standard/club room twice.

Better value in BKK, if you are a SPG Plat (which I am) are the Plaza Athenee, SGS, SR and even Westin GS (have had suites in them all, all have club or something similar.

If you are a Hilton Diamond (which I am) the Conrad (even if you have to pay for a suite which is 50:50 in my experience, the supplement isn't that much at check in) or Millenium Hilton. Again lounge and the like on a par with the IC BKK I think although I dislike the Hilton Location.

They would be my standard comparators given my status elsewhere and I think the IC comes up short against each of them. Certainly the rooms and lounge options compare poorly with the SR and SGS at a similar price point. Other hotels in BKK typically have 1 corkscrew per room too not 1 per hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
.... Other hotels in BKK typically have 1 corkscrew per room too not 1 per hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:30 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
You don't always get a corner suite it depends whether they have sold out, or if you are on a short stay want to wait until 6pm for your suite to be available.

I have had a corner suite once in 4 stays, Executive Suite once (when I paid for a Corner Suite) and standard/club room twice.

Better value in BKK, if you are a SPG Plat (which I am) are the Plaza Athenee, SGS, SR and even Westin GS (have had suites in them all, all have club or something similar.

If you are a Hilton Diamond (which I am) the Conrad (even if you have to pay for a suite which is 50:50 in my experience, the supplement isn't that much at check in) or Millenium Hilton. Again lounge and the like on a par with the IC BKK I think although I dislike the Hilton Location.

They would be my standard comparators given my status elsewhere and I think the IC comes up short against each of them. Certainly the rooms and lounge options compare poorly with the SR and SGS at a similar price point. Other hotels in BKK typically have 1 corkscrew per room too not 1 per hotel.
Spot on ... agreed 110%

Nowadays, you can get suites for less than that amount (6K Baht) at many comparable properties in Bangkok. Too many layers of and hurdles to benefits at the ICH Bangkok, which is not a 5-star trait as they claim to be.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I just did a serch for the IC BKK using cash and points.

a 4th option is available now

30,000 Points + $40.00 USD
25,000 Points + $70.00 USD
20,000 Points + $99.00 USD
15,000 Points + $125.00 USD

If anyone needs 20000 points book and cancel.. slightly better rate now at 125USD
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I know there are lots of choices in Bangkok, but how many of them guarantee me 8am check in and offer a free fully loaded mini-bar like this hotel?
Stimpy, weirdly I've never stayed at IC BKK but have a month there shortly. Just on the subject of minibar, what does it tend to include...wines & champagne? Heard it has a lot of spirits which don't float my boat so much. Just curious. I've been offered what seems be the fairly standard corner club suite.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Hmmn, ages since Thann toiletries last experienced in IC BKK Clubroom/Corner Suite for me .. must be 3years or more ago. IC Pattaya is using Thann toiletries though in Deluxe Pavillion Suites. I do like Thann better than Agraria though, bring back Elemis for IC's please.

I am not enjoying the IC BKK Lounge experience as much these days, I am just about decided to jump ship and choose Conrad as first option/choice in future unless I do not need an early checkin, and forgo the free minibar.

1. Lounge Breakfast - recent change, No longer the heated dishes to help ones self from, still the menu on table with same choices. So can no longer grab extra hash-browns with b/f menu order etc.
Still excellent poached eggs everytime in lounge though.

2. Lounge Afternoon Tea - year ago change, nothing out, staff bring out a platter to you. Not the same and a downgrade, plus miss the afternoon chocs

3. Lounge Evening nibbles - The multiple heated dishes dissapeared, becoming one heated dish, AND now nothing hot out. Cold meats and things only.
Belatedly (after 60mins) offered something on a tiny platter with 3things on it by staff, but I'd eaten simple cheese and bread instead.. there were no crackers either

4. Lounge evening drinks - still as good as ever, reasonably pleasant sparkling wine and the staff make a nice mojito

5. Lounge staff - still an excellent experience on that front.

6. Restaurant b/f - Finding this a lesser experience fod wise than a year ago too.
My pet hate is the really annoying and disturbing habit of restaurant waiting staff inserting hand right in your face between cup I am drinking coffee from to try and take any plate/dish that you are half-likely to have finished with. ..After twice in 90seconds this morning, I gave up and went to the lounge for b/f instead.

Note - As IC BKK reservation was only pre-booked 1night my flight arrival 11am early checkin date (Tues 2nd Aug), I have to change hotel anyway as IC BKK is sold out from Wednesday through the coming weekend.
Guess to where? Yes you are right the Conrad although I would not normally swap for a just a single night like today.
Evening all. at IC BKK a month in a few days...new one on my radar so interested if anyone has time to get a quick heads up from those of you in the know of the current 2017 situation pretty much like scubaccr mentions above.

Also any opinions or advice on health club / pool / spa / in-house restaurants etc.

Also how much is the hotel car and what are the concierge guys any good?

Any comments / recommendations to get the best out of my 30 day term very much appreciated. Many thanks
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:31 pm

Sorry back again.....just read about an option called 'Preferred Dining' at IC BKK .... anyone know anything about that? Useful...waste of time....etc.

Also is this a bought option? Interested if it's worthwhile or fluff. Appreciate any advice. Thanks

http://bangkok.intercontinental.com/...red-dining#top
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Stimpy, weirdly I've never stayed at IC BKK but have a month there shortly. Just on the subject of minibar, what does it tend to include...wines & champagne? Heard it has a lot of spirits which don't float my boat so much. Just curious. I've been offered what seems be the fairly standard corner club suite.
In general it is hard to find good wine or any kind of decent Champagne in Thailand. The import duties are high so they import cheaper wines and most of the local distributors do not know how to ship or store wine correctly, leaving the wines in hot warehouses, etc. Even if I go to an upscale restaurant, which I rarely do in Bangkok, I'll go with Australian wine. Otherwise I pretty much stick to beer and spirits which the mini-bar has.

The club has wines and Aussie sparkling as I recall, but it is stuff that would cost less than 5 quid in a normal shop in Europe or Oz.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Sorry back again.....just read about an option called 'Preferred Dining' at IC BKK .... anyone know anything about that? Useful...waste of time....etc.
I think it is a waste of time. Bangkok is a treasure of local tiny restaurants and the best street food in the world. It's best to be out and about.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I think it is a waste of time. Bangkok is a treasure of local tiny restaurants and the best street food in the world. It's best to be out and about.
Is the impression I got Stimpy but thought best to check it out all the same given the time.

And is lounge service fairly forthcoming? And drinks window...is it the normal Asian 17.30 19.30 happy hour thing or does it stretch longer?

Thanks for the feedback
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lounge service is OK but can be patchy, I have certainly struggled hard to get attention sometimes though.

The Theo Randall place downstairs is OK, the Sunday brunch is also pretty decent but the other in property dining options are a tad meh. There are some much better options within a short walk/cab ride.

The IC minibar wouldn't swing it for me here. I have seldom had much more than a beer or Diet Coke, it is standard Thai 20cl moderate spirits, which aren't that expensive to buy locally if you are so inclined. This property is pretty much off my stay list now unless I need some cheap IC nights for the RA renewal gamble.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:35 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have seldom had much more than a beer or Diet Coke, it is standard Thai 20cl moderate spirits, which aren't that expensive to buy locally if you are so inclined. This property is pretty much off my stay list now unless I need some cheap IC nights for the RA renewal gamble.
My club room last year had all half bottles, hardly 20cl minis, and the suites have the same, ie

Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markis10
My club room last year had all half bottles, hardly 20cl minis, and the suites have the same, ie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christr...g/17000367462/
They are not half bottles they are 20cl bottles (slightly over a 1/4 of a normal bottle), no one said they were 5cl miniatures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.