Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by whimike
They used to upgrade me to a club room and when I arrive I tell them I want a suite in lieu of the club. It has never been a problem.

They seem to have my account notated now because I am automatically upgraded to a suite, usually within days of booking the room, without asking.
Same here. Last trip I was given club as well, but that's unusual.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:35 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
This only works if they have suites to upgrade too and all too frequently they just don't at that point it is suffer the bog standard room or move off to a different hotel as your options.
10% of their stock are suites, or 39 rooms, so your odds are better than at a lot of hotels, especially my local hiltons down under. Thank goodness for status in a variety of chains.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
This only works if they have suites to upgrade too and all too frequently they just don't at that point it is suffer the bog standard room or move off to a different hotel as your options.
Well, all I can put forward is my experience. I am in BKK almost monthly for work and I have always been upgraded to a suite.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Personal likes and dislikes aside, I'm quite happy with either property and adjust my stays based on qualification cycles, promotions, availability of our corp rate and where I need to go / be in BKK (e.g. need quick BTS access, though Conrad is not that far from it).

I agree that Executive room at the IC is a "fake" category (been saying it for years to them), but if one of the options for AMB is now to choose breakfast than that is actual a real improvement to me as I'm no more RA and makes it okay in my book (personal call).

Price wise our corp rates have narrowed between the two properties to something like 300THB IIRC so not much of an issue there if available.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Well, all I can put forward is my experience. I am in BKK almost monthly for work and I have always been upgraded to a suite.
Well that is good for you, my experience whist less regular is the complete opposite, does that make it less valid?

I never ever want a basic room but the difference between a club room and normal room at my Corp rate is crazy and on my last stay when I booked a club room, I got a club room so doubly unappealing.

It would be better if they defaulted to suite and held this well in advance and allowed you to downgrade for free club.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you tried calling the hotel in advance to let it know of your preferences?

If you let it know that you would prefer a suite , it will (ime) modify the booking to a suite
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Plus paying for a Club room to get a "better" room (aside from benefits) is basically pointless as the layout, furnishings and all that of the Grand Deluxe, Executive and Club rooms is all the same. The only thing you can get is a higher floor and request a certain view (e.g. I always ask for a room away from Central World as their promotions or concerts can be loud and run into the night).
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:48 am

Well that is good for you, my experience whist less regular is the complete opposite, does that make it less valid?
I wasn't suggesting your experience was invalid.

I never ever want a basic room but the difference between a club room and normal room at my Corp rate is crazy and on my last stay when I booked a club room, I got a club room so doubly unappealing.

It would be better if they defaulted to suite and held this well in advance and allowed you to downgrade for free club.
What do you mean by you don't want a basic room? Is there much physical difference between a basic room and all their variants of non-suite rooms (Grand Deluxe, Executive, Club, etc...)?

You booked a club room and they didn't upgrade you as an RA? That should be an upgrade to a suite with club, or if no suite available a refund down to a non-club room and upgrade to club.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't suggesting your experience was invalid.

What do you mean by you don't want a basic room? Is there much physical difference between a basic room and all their variants of non-suite rooms (Grand Deluxe, Executive, Club, etc...)?

You booked a club room and they didn't upgrade you as an RA? That should be an upgrade to a suite with club, or if no suite available a refund down to a non-club room and upgrade to club.
Yes had the refund but that is worth less than an upgrade right? Would rather have the room I expected than circa 1700 THB to stay in a room I didn't want.

There is no other IC in the world I have to contact in advance to get a better room, why should I here!

As I said my only reason to stay here is to pad IC nights at a cheap rate, if I want the best option at any price point it will be a Hilton or Starwood that sees my business. So I will accept being treated like crap a couple of times a year when it makes sense if I need to get nights to renew RA otherwise I am somewhere else every time.

For an RA with marginal IC nights it is worthwhile, if you have status elsewhere it is a poor option IMHO. Maybe they treat more regular guests better but I am not going to ever become a regular guest given my experiences at this property as a RA.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I have a stay here in three days for one night. What can I expect as an RA on a rewards night booking?

I've noticed Southeast Asia ICs are super strict about IHG T&Cs so I'm guessing basically no benefits.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I have a stay here in three days for one night. What can I expect as an RA on a rewards night booking?

I've noticed Southeast Asia ICs are super strict about IHG T&Cs so I'm guessing basically no benefits.
I usually don't use free nights here as my corporate rate is so low. But, I did have to get rid of expiring free night awards from the promotion last year, and used them at the IC BKK.

I received everything I would have received as a cash paying customer.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I have booked a Premiere Suite and have been upgraded to an Executive Suite.

Does anyone have any experience of this suite type? The photos that the hotel sent me look nice.

Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I have booked a Premiere Suite and have been upgraded to an Executive Suite.

Does anyone have any experience of this suite type? The photos that the hotel sent me look nice.

Thanks.
Not sure what a premiere suite type is like but an Executive suite is a good sized full 2 room suite.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure what a premiere suite type is like but an Executive suite is a good sized full 2 room suite.
Thank you

Apparently, the Premiere Suite is 70 sqm, which is not much bigger than the corner IC Suite at 67 sqm. Do not know if it has two separate rooms.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thank you

Apparently, the Premiere Suite is 70 sqm, which is not much bigger than the corner IC Suite at 67 sqm. Do not know if it has two separate rooms.
Premier Suite is a large single 'double width/double-windowed' room. There is only one of these.

Exec Suite is 2 connected rooms, There is only one of these.
- l/h room is entry, extra wc; minibar; work desk+chair; sofa, 2 chairs, oval coffee table; wall mounted TV; double width door to r/h room
- r/h room is King Bed, armchair with small round table, recess with mirror + stool (passes for ladies dressing table), suitcase rester, wardrobes, standard bathroom as for normal room, except wall to bedroom is glass with electric blind.

Last edited by scubaccr; Apr 3, 2016 at 6:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.