Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The discussion was about the three room categories within the IC BKK as there are Grand Deluxe, Executive and Club rooms. They are all the same basically. No one was comparing those rooms to other properties or complaining that they are crappy. I agree they are good compared to several other properties.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I have an upcoming stay this weekend at IC Bangkok using the BOGO and it seems that their hotel is full. I have gotten this email from them. What would you do in my shoes?

Thank you very much for your up-coming reservation on XX-XX January, 2018. As our valued Ambassador member, you are entitled to two step upgrade ( subject to availability) which would be from Executive Deluxe room to Club Corner Suite. However, we regret to inform to you that our Club Corner Suites are fully booked during that period.

We would like to ask if you would be comfortable to stay in a Club InterContinental room, so we will reduce the room rate from THB 7,800++ to THB 6,600++ Remark : Grande Deluxe room upgrade to Club InterContinental room with Club benefits

Remark : Grande Deluxe room upgrade to Club InterContinental room with Club benefits

We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your kind understanding.

Last edited by hclee01; Jan 16, 2018 at 7:03 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If it's full, it's full. Take the downgrade at the lower rate. As stated, the normal rooms are rather large. Large bathroom too.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by hclee01
I have an upcoming stay this weekend at IC Bangkok using the BOGO and it seems that their hotel is full. I have gotten this email from them. What would you do in my shoes?

We would like to ask if you would be comfortable to stay in a Club InterContinental room, so we will reduce the room rate from THB 7,800++ to THB 6,600++ Remark : Grande Deluxe room upgrade to Club InterContinental room with Club benefits

Remark : Grande Deluxe room upgrade to Club InterContinental room with Club benefits

We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your kind understanding.
Take it!

The upgrade to club benefits alone is worth $100++ if you purchase separately. Their Club IC is on the 37th floor with expansive views of central Bangkok with wonderful staff and fine restaurant-quality food.

Breakfast at Club IC - Griddled Steak with Egg Benedicts - the steak was so finely cooked that it melted in my mouth like butter
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold

Thank you very much for your up-coming reservation on XX-XX January, 2018. As our valued Ambassador member, you are entitled to two step upgrade ( subject to availability) which would be from Executive Deluxe room to Club Corner Suite. However, we regret to inform to you that our Club Corner Suites are fully booked during that period.

Not at all acceptable in my mind. As an RA with guaranteed 2cat upgrade you booked extra level Exec Room (over G Dlx) specifically to receive a Corner Suite (plus foc RA Lounge Access). IC BKK has 31 corner suites and has zero excuse not to give an RA the Corner Suite. Giving you 1200Bt off when difference between Club Room and Corner Suite rate (with Club) is far greater is not on.
......I have historically had email from res dept saying they rebooked my Exec to Dlx to save me money ( as I only book Suite for weekends not weekday nights) even when still selling Corner Suites. It is purely the new managers wanting to maximise income and not give Suites away b to RAs. After having twice had to get that trick reversed, my account at IC BKK is marked/flagged that if I book Exec Room it is not to be downgraded to G-Dlx.
... I am sure Reservations Manager/Revenue Manager noted that as RA, you get 2nights in Suite for 7800++ when he can sell same 2nights for Bt25,000++, and is deliberately targetting you.... do not roll over... IC BKK emails says asking you if comfortable .. you reply saying no you are not etc etc

... Assuming you booked well up front when Suites were still being sold ?, and not at last minute when it is possible to book only g/Dlx, Exec, Club (but Suites were not for sale... when I would not book expecting Suite here)
If you reply saying you booked Exec as RA to be given your GUARANTEED 2cat upgrade to Corner Suite (ie not 'subject to availability' .. they hope you don't know) , that at time of booking Suites were still for Sale and you expeect hotel to honour your RA 2cat upgrade. You could also state that failing to get upgrade, since with all rooms G-Dlx/Exec/Club being identical other than floor and as RA you already have Lounge access, a Club room is a zero upgrade. I'd also state that if corner suite can not be given, you expect a reduction in nightly rate of difference between Clubroom -> Club Corner Suite. ie on BOGO they still need give you room diff for BOTH NIGHTS (not just foc night) even if the 1200Bt night
.... Asking for the far larger amount of room difference FOR BOTH NIGHTS should result in IC BKK giving you a Suite and downgrading someone else

Last edited by scubaccr; Jan 16, 2018 at 7:05 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Not at all acceptable in my mind. As an RA with guaranteed 2cat upgrade you booked extra level Exec Room (over G Dlx) specifically to receive a Corner Suite (plus foc RA Lounge Access). IC BKK has 31 corner suites and has zero excuse not to give an RA the Corner Suite.
Thanks for the update. I have written to them to explain on the benefits and they have responded that they apologise for any inconvenience caused and will keep the room as original (Not too sure what they meant by this). But it looks like they will just keep the executive deluxe room for me with no room upgrade?

As I have told them that this weekend will be my birthday, and that I am celebrating my birthday in IC BKK, they will arrange a birthday cake for me. (Not too sure if this is meant to be a compensation to close off this case)

I do not want to be seen to be "difficult" but I have booked the room more than 2 weeks ago where I recalled that many rooms were available including the standard room and suite. I am surprised that suddenly the rooms are fully booked out.

Last edited by hclee01; Jan 16, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Thanks for the update. I have written to them to explain on the benefits and they have responded that they apologise for any inconvenience caused and will keep the room as original (Not too sure what they meant by this). But it looks like they will just keep the executive deluxe room for me with no room upgrade?

As I have told them that this weekend will be my birthday, and that I am celebrating my birthday in IC BKK, they will arrange a birthday cake for me. (Not too sure if this is meant to be a compensation to close off this case)

I do not want to be seen to be "difficult" but I have booked the room more than 2 weeks ago where I recalled that many rooms were available including the standard room and suite. I am surprised that suddenly the rooms are fully booked out.
Are you currently a Royal Ambassador? Or an Ambassador? If RA, then you are entitled to Club IC as part of your benefits and I am sure you already know this.

Apologies for the above as I assumed you were an Ambassador based on their welcome letter to you.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Are you currently a Royal Ambassador? Or an Ambassador? If RA, then you are entitled to Club IC as part of your benefits and I am sure you already know this.

Apologies for the above as I assumed you were an Ambassador based on their welcome letter to you.
No worries on the error as I realised that I wasn't clear in my posting too. I am currently a Royal Ambassador and the Club IC is part of the package. I have stayed with them on several occasions and was able to get the Corner Suite and lounge access during my stay.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:49 pm

Not at all acceptable in my mind. As an RA with guaranteed 2cat upgrade you booked extra level Exec Room (over G Dlx) specifically to receive a Corner Suite (plus foc RA Lounge Access). IC BKK has 31 corner suites and has zero excuse not to give an RA the Corner Suite.
Thanks for the advice, I have seen that my booking that the room type has been amended to "1 King Bed Corner Suite". It is strange that suddenly rooms are available immediately after I sent the email.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Thanks for the advice, I have seen that my booking that the room type has been amended to "1 King Bed Corner Suite". It is strange that suddenly rooms are available immediately after I sent the email.
nothing is strange. They tried to "get" that Suite back from you for small money and to sell it to a paying customer for big money. I would have asked for the rate difference between the normal room and the suite :-)
hclee01 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Having read the above on RA benefits, does anyone know what to expect for a Plat Amb booking the lowest room? Will be staying there soon. Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO
Having read the above on RA benefits, does anyone know what to expect for a Plat Amb booking the lowest room? Will be staying there soon. Thanks!
As already mentioned room size+layout of the 3 categories ... G Dlx, Exec, Club are the same, difference is higher floors and better soft benefits.

As 'plain' Gold/Plat/Spire amb, you receive +1cat upgrade from G Dlx -> Exec room.

That Exec room is a few floor higher plus soft benefits associated with room. The main worthwhile soft benny given last 18months plus, is that soft Exec Room benefit is amenity choice of either foc restaurant breakfast or evening 6-8 drinks in the bar.

nb
As plain Ambassador, no point booking Exec , as you do not get Club Lounge access, even if given a higher floor Club room, which is same room anyway as Exec or G Dlx. Even more so an Amb never book Corner room (without Lounge), instead book Club room to get Corner suite keeping lounge access.
Kalboz, barracuda93 and SLGO like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
As already mentioned room size+layout of the 3 categories ... G Dlx, Exec, Club are the same, difference is higher floors and better soft benefits.

As 'plain' Gold/Plat/Spire amb, you receive +1cat upgrade from G Dlx -> Exec room.

That Exec room is a few floor higher plus soft benefits associated with room. The main worthwhile soft benny given last 18months plus, is that soft Exec Room benefit is amenity choice of either foc restaurant breakfast or evening 6-8 drinks in the bar.

nb
As plain Ambassador, no point booking Exec , as you do not get Club Lounge access, even if given a higher floor Club room, which is same room anyway as Exec or G Dlx. Even more so an Amb never book Corner room (without Lounge), instead book Club room to get Corner suite keeping lounge access.
Thanks for the advice! So that means I don't have to expect anything at all.

Indeed I'm booking 2 rooms (inclusive of breakfast) together. Would that mean an upgrade for 1 room but not the other?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:55 am

nb
Indeed, just concluded 2 stays over the holidays (4 and 2 nights respecttively) and Platinum Ambassador gets executive privileges as outlined below. These privileges, IMO, are substantial especially the breakfast at Espresso which is a huge multicultural culinary experience on its own. I personally prefer the peace and quietness of the Club IC at breakfast and thus on the 2nd stay (last 2 nights in Thailand) I purchased a suite upgrade for a $100++ per night (to a total of THB 7533 ai) which came with Club IC benefits. The suite was a corner one attached to a double for our children so we had the entire 180 degree corner that overlooks a spen from CentralWorld, Grand Hyatt Erawan, to the Park Hyatt when we opened the interconnecting door. The wife and kids preferred partaking breakfast at Espresso. The kids supervised by my wife also enjoyed the happy hour benefits at the Balcony Lounge and then she would join me at the Club IC which offered a much better fare of Wagyu beef, Salmon Wellington, and sushi in addition to the buffet spread.

First stay benefits

2nd stay benefits

More photos can be found here:
/

The subtle panache in which this property operates coupled with awesome treatment (and no staff dramas were detected either) makes me want to move our 75 nights/year hotel stays to this brand and to achieve RA status. We have had many stays at the IC Hua Hin Resort and it is nothing like this property.
SLGO likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:09 pm

I recently had a 2 night stay here. All was wonderful except two things. The shower water temperature in my room was temperamental. It would stay warm for 20 seconds or so, then cold water would kick in for 5 seconds. Engineering was called to fix it, but not successful. On the 2nd day we received a note for a room change, but by then it was already 10PM and we were leaving the next morning. The second thing problem for me is their pillows. While the mattress and sheets are divine, the goose down pillows have no support whatsoever. I don't remember seeing a pillow menu in-room, but that would be a smart thing to do. Breakfast (comped as Plat Ambassador) option was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.