Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointbreaks Discussion Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: Priority CLub Platinum
For me, the Last Minute Rewards thing is not much use, as most of my work is at weekends. I like Points Breaks because they are for any day of the week, and so work well for me having a midweek weekend getaway. Am sure I am not the only person in the PC Universe to not be in a M-F 9-5 job.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Very interesting about Port Ghalib at $40.
Could do cash booking and use the PC points elsewhere!
Without checking into the hotel physically?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by josmon10
I don't think that the Last Minute Reward Nights are a very good deal at all. At such short notice, it's hard to find cheap flights for, say, a weekend getaway, unless you have miles to burn.

But well, it's better than nothing, and certainly a good business move for ICG in order to fill a few otherwise empty rooms.
I agree that it's not a good deal...If there are some nice deals on expensive properties like big city IC's then I'm all for it....but I imagine it will be rather mediocre....

However, I anticipate that the first list will be good, and then it will taper off in terms of quality over time a-la-pointbreaks
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by cutnana
Without checking into the hotel physically?
No, not at all.. PC points are cheap enough to get without phantom booking game.

Just thinking, use $30 in points or pay $40 and get some points/stays back.
I haven't calculated the break even point.
I actually didn't find the $40 AAA rate, but didn't work hard at it either.

It is only of interest to me if I went there, it looks nice enough. ^
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:59 am

Port Ghalib

I to looked at the port ghalib place for ??next year. But from the UK there is only 1 airline...thomson and they wanted 350 a year in advance each... might be better for others in the EU though
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by drdanielmacdonald
I to looked at the port ghalib place for ??next year. But from the UK there is only 1 airline...thomson and they wanted 350 a year in advance each... might be better for others in the EU though
I am going to Port Ghalib in June... my flight from the States, is to LHR, which I had booked prior to the decision to go to Port Ghalib... because of the flight constraints (limited flights from UK and EU) and in order to give us a week in Port Ghalib, I chose a non stop from ZRH on Air Berlin. I have been watching and only about 5 routings are available. But not for the bad schedule, I would have flown MS through Cairo as it is S*.... Port Ghalib seems to be a great deal right now whether on Pointbreaks or not...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:54 pm

I am leery of these tour operator flights like Air Berlin or Thomson. If one cannot use a direct flight to RMF, how to get from Cairo to Port Ghalib?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I am leery of these tour operator flights like Air Berlin or Thomson. If one cannot use a direct flight to RMF, how to get from Cairo to Port Ghalib?
Egyptian Air... problem is that the current schedule looks like there are flights, one a day, on Fridays, Saturdays and Tuesdays... or something close... I wanted a week down there and I could only get 4-5 nights.. would much rather flown *A... Air Berlin is hooked up with Belair on this route and they are using A321's... By the way, Air Berlin, in Germany is considered, I believe as a regularly scheduled airline... I could be wrong.. but they seem to have a lot or routes..
Old Apr 30, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Buzzman
By the way, Air Berlin, in Germany is considered, I believe as a regularly scheduled airline... I could be wrong.. but they seem to have a lot or routes..
AirBerlin joins Oneworld starting the 2012 summer schedule if I am not mistaken...so yes, they transformed from a Charter airline to a scheduled carrier...

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 1, 2011, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It appears that the current batch of PB hotels that were offered until 4/30 are now being offered until 5/15 on pc.com. So one could take that to be a signal that PBs will stick around; otherwise, they could have just let those fade out on the 30th, and then featured the 50% weekend saver hotels. Guess we'll just have to wait it out.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:00 pm

I am seeing the extension to 5/15 also, with apparently no new hotels added. I was hoping for some new options.

I think this is a bad sign...
Old May 1, 2011, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Fanjet
It appears that the current batch of PB hotels that were offered until 4/30 are now being offered until 5/15 on pc.com. So one could take that to be a signal that PBs will stick around; otherwise, they could have just let those fade out on the 30th, and then featured the 50% weekend saver hotels. Guess we'll just have to wait it out.
Didn't you get the memo from the other week? Old news.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Didn't you get the memo from the other week? Old news.
They haven't had the experience of missing out on an IC PB by being off FT for 2 days in a row. They haven't learned the hard way like us veteran folks.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by mnredfox
They haven't had the experience of missing out on an IC PB by being off FT for 2 days in a row. They haven't learned the hard way like us veteran folks.

and for that reason im going to be constantly checking just incase one of the nicer asian ICs makes its way onto this new last-minute list
Old May 3, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: Priority club
Hi What is the last minute list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.