Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointbreaks Discussion Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
It looks like the ability to book in 2012 is gone.

Edit: I was wrong. Just found April 2012 in Squamish BC, but nights are hard to find. Tried Boise and bombed out.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I received a mailer today from IHG with a new PC card with a new design and an insert saying they made some "enhancements" to the program. They advertise Pointbreaks at 5k/night so I think it's safe to say they'll remain in some form for the time being.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Antipode
I received a mailer today from IHG with a new PC card with a new design and an insert saying they made some "enhancements" to the program. They advertise Pointbreaks at 5k/night so I think it's safe to say they'll remain in some form for the time being.
Interesting !
Our ability to predict what IHG will do
is not very good over the last years, especially wrt to PB.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Things might have calmed down in Egypt a year from now, CP PORT GHALIBl
looks nice,there's a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ihZ...eature=related
I just checked the cash rates for this hotel, 5k is not exactly a steal since the AAA rate for any date 2012 is $40 for 1 incl. taxes and $58 for 2 incl. taxes.
AAA is cancelable and and qualifying so it might be worth booking "just in case"
I assume it isn't normally that cheap, i.e. they have dumped the prices because of the politcal turmoil.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I just checked the cash rates for this hotel, 5k is not exactly a steal since the AAA rate for any date 2012 is $40 for 1 incl. taxes and $58 for 2 incl. taxes.
AAA is cancelable and and qualifying so it might be worth booking "just in case"
I assume it isn't normally that cheap, i.e. they have dumped the prices because of the politcal turmoil.
Interesting.. this may make for a fun mattress/mileage run in 2012.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
When I redeemed for points break, I took a look at the hotel rate as well.. but Houston points break was pretty meaningful as the HIX we stayed at was brand new.. and we were able to lock in at one bedroom suite with the promo.^ Coming back from San Antonio, the same HIX didn't continue the promo for one reason or another, so we booked at Candlewood (just needed it for about 5 hours) before leaving and catching a flight.. so for 5K that was useful.. and plus, I wanted to dump my 20K points and get some benefits out of it.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
What I see is the IC Merida and HI Guadalajara
have been removed, not added.
Intercontinental Merida is still at k5 in March 212
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER
Intercontinental Merida is still at 5k
Aha, now I am with ya ! Off the list but still on the site !
Note: Same for HI GDL Centro.

Very interesting about Port Ghalib at $40.
Could do cash booking and use the PC points elsewhere!

Last edited by MrHalliday; Apr 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm Reason: sp
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:42 pm

Last Minute Reward Nights will allow Priority Club members globally to redeem Reward Nights at a 50% discount off the regular point price, for selected properties. Members will receive an e-mail on Monday providing a list of hotels where this offer will be available the following weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Initially, this program will be offered on the first full weekend of every month, starting with May 6, 7 and 8, 2011.
Well...I guess that settles that. Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I guess HIX and Candlewood suites regular redemption rates are 10K per night? Thus 50% off is 5K.. good to know.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I guess HIX and Candlewood suites regular redemption rates are 10K per night?
No. All Candlewoods are 15K. A relatively small number of HIX and HI properties are 10K; most are 15K or 25K.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by soitgoes
No. All Candlewoods are 15K. A relatively small number of HIX and HI properties are 10K; most are 15K or 25K.
Ok.. so the Last Minute Reward Nights are seperate from the Points Break.. Points Break actually gets a better deal, but I imagine there are more hotels to choose from with Last Minute Reward Nights as well.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok.. so the Last Minute Reward Nights are seperate from the Points Break.. Points Break actually gets a better deal, but I imagine there are more hotels to choose from with Last Minute Reward Nights as well.
That has yet to be seen.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Agreed, speculation has it PB will go away or be really tapered down with this 50% replacing it over time. I hope not, PB is one reason why I really love IHG.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
I don't think that the Last Minute Reward Nights are a very good deal at all. At such short notice, it's hard to find cheap flights for, say, a weekend getaway, unless you have miles to burn.

But well, it's better than nothing, and certainly a good business move for ICG in order to fill a few otherwise empty rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.