Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card and IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card UA TravelBank Benefit

Per Chase personal and biz application pages: “Receive up to $50 United® TravelBank Cash to use when you book United® or United Express® flights*”

Announced February 2022, first post on this thread (#446, Feb 27, 22, 6:27 am).

Post on this thread specifying link to (try to) receive UA TB credits (#454, Mar 24, 22, 3:47 pm).

Consensus here as of Spring 2022 shortly after the commencement of this benefit was 1 (one) UA TB deposit per name and IHG account, not per credit card. Cardholders of both IHG personal and IHG biz cards received 1 UA TB deposit, some authors wrote that they had contacted IHG and were told the same thing.

As of mid-July 2022, when some people should have received their July 1 $25 TB credit, multiple people reported NOT receiving the July 1 credit and that communications with IHG and/or Chase and/or UA were unproductive and unsuccessful.

Print Wikipost

New Chase IHG Credit Card Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Another wrinkle. Chase/IHG now have created a third kind of 40K free night cert:
3) New Credit Card Reward Night earned upon sign-up for Chase IHG Premier - not-eligible for top-off
Really? I just completed the spending for the sign up bonus, and had been waiting for the certificate so I can book a >40k free night.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
The $25 is already in my UA Travelbank. Took one day.

Does the $25 get forfeited or rollover if not used in 6 months?
From the page on the IHG site:
TravelBank Cash that is received as part of this benefit and deposited between January 1 and June 30 will expire on July 15 of the same calendar year, regardless of deposit date. Deposits made between July 1 and December 31 will expire on January 15 of the following calendar year, regardless of deposit date.
Originally Posted by azepine00
So it appears that business is available to anyone (as new product) but personal only to those without any recent personal. Or perhaps I need another coffee...
I think “recent” is not the right term. When the update was announced, several reliable bloggers reported that after 3/24 anyone holding the Select (legacy $49 AF) card would be ineligible for either the Premier or the Traveler. It’s unclear to me whether the last two, which were previously churnable entirely independent of each other, will now have some sort of mutual exclusion (or waiting period) a la CSP/CSR.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beltway
From the page on the IHG site:
TravelBank Cash that is received as part of this benefit and deposited between January 1 and June 30 will expire on July 15 of the same calendar year, regardless of deposit date. Deposits made between July 1 and December 31 will expire on January 15 of the following calendar year, regardless of deposit date.
I have no dispute about what the IHG site says, and it's what I was expecting. However, there are at least two reports of United showing an expiration date for the TravelBank 18 months in the future: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34110265-post493.html and the post immediately thereafter.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by dw
The page to link your account with … United … $25 every six months TravelBank credit …:
www.ihg.com/united
Some … successfully linking and receiving the credits …doesn't seem to be working.
Datapoint: Only current IHG card is IHG Premier personal, instant approval 9-10 months ago, SUB 8-9 months ago, minimal use since, likely cancellation in 2-3 months (now hoping the 30 day AF grace period goes past June 30th). On March 10, used the last part of several AmEx (Aspire, Plat x 3) January TB credits for my last ski trip of the season, balance after March 10th was $0.00.

Considering a possible IHG Biz application, today reviewed this thread (Chrome), followed the link (thank you), first attempt successful, checked UA 5 minutes later, (completely surprised to see) $75 balance expiring in 18 months.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Mar 31, 2022 at 10:49 am Reason: quote added
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:24 pm

$$$$$

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:38 pm
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:40 pm

I just got $25 like expected.

But it says it doesn't expire until 9/29/2023 which does not match up with the (very short) expiration the IHG site says: "TravelBank Cash that is received as part of this benefit and deposited between January 1 and June 30 will expire on July 15 of the same calendar year, regardless of deposit date". I had nothing at all in my travel bank before this and do not have any United status or credit card.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have no idea why it’s $50 instead of $25.
I would be envious, but I read somewhere on FlyerTalk that TravelBank funds cannot be used for luggage, which had been my plan. I had already paid for a seat upgrade; I would have waited and used TravelBank for that if I had known. Sigh.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by serpens
I would be envious, but I read somewhere on FlyerTalk that TravelBank funds cannot be used for luggage, which had been my plan. I had already paid for a seat upgrade; I would have waited and used TravelBank for that if I had known. Sigh.
Not sure if that will work either. I tried using it for an upgrade a while after the initial booking and it would not let me do it. Anecdotally, I've seen a few reports online of people trying to book an upgraded seat at the time of booking and they couldn't do it.

The T&C are not very clear either: "TravelBank Cash is valid for air travel purchases on United and United Express® flights and as otherwise permitted by United." I've understood "air travel purchases" to mean only against the cost of the ticket, but not ancillary expenses like an upgrade. Maybe someone on FT has some experience with this? Would make me happy if it can be used for upgrades...

Last edited by bob12403; Apr 4, 2022 at 5:38 am
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:46 pm

[GI Boel]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:38 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fishy21
Can confirm that it's not working for me either. It just circles me back to the "sign-in" page, even though I'm logged in.
For those who had been having this problem, I tried again today and it worked no issue.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:33 pm

Does this benefit stack if you have both the personal IHG Premier AND the IHG Business card? Meaning you get $100 per year, $50 ($25 + $25) for half the year and again $50 for the other half?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Burj
Does this benefit stack if you have both the personal IHG Premier AND the IHG Business card? Meaning you get $100 per year, $50 ($25 + $25) for half the year and again $50 for the other half?
Good questions, I’ve been wondering the same thing. Also wondering if registration will be necessary for each card and every 6 months or if it will automatic after initial registration (as the sponsors state).

BREAK

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Datapoint: … first attempt successful, checked UA 5 minutes later, (completely surprised to see) $75 balance expiring in 18 months.
Update: Within the past 24 hours, United revised the 3 deposits (totaling $75.00) to a single $25 deposit.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:51 pm

..|..
Dr Jabadski likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:39 pm
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:10 am

It would be insane for the TravelBank benefit of multiple premium IHG cards not to stack. Ditto for having to re-register twice a year.
I agree but so far I've only been credit $25 to my United TravelBank. I will wait and if I don't get the other $25 credit I will try contacting IHG to get this fixed....
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:21 am

UPDATE: I connected with IHG Rewards through twitter and eventually they replied with:

"Thanks for sharing your information. Unfortunately, only one registration per IHG® account is permitted. You can find that information here: http://ihg.co/6011KIKKL For further questions on the United benefit for eligible United card members, please reach out to customer service at 1-800-421-4655."

So it appears the TravelBank perk does NOT stack if you have both the Personal and Business IHG Premier cards....
Dr Jabadski likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.