Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Wasn't I
How are you quoting a post that was posted after yours?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by emkay
How are you quoting a post that was posted after yours?
I deleted mine. Then just copy/paste something.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Mystery7
That will not work. It would only work if you would book a breakfast rate as well.
Ok, what about if I add a breakfast package (30 EUROs) to the lowest available IHG rate (which is the flex rate), and then compare it to the 3rd party rate?

Keep in mind that the 3rd party rate with breakfast is already beating the IHG rate without breakfast
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by nli007
Ok, what about if I add a breakfast package (30 EUROs) to the lowest available IHG rate (which is the flex rate), and then compare it to the 3rd party rate?

Keep in mind that the 3rd party rate with breakfast is already beating the IHG rate without breakfast
bingo!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mitpat474
bingo!
OMG. IHG just responded... because there is a package rate called Chauffeur Express (non-refundable) which includes breakfast on the IHG site and that package rate is cheaper than the flexible rate (currently lowest available) with breakfast add on of 30 EURO, my claim is denied

I bet if I book this Chauffeur Express, IHG would then come back at me with "The Chauffeur" package includes free transportation which the 3rd party rate does not. And I would be stuck since its non-refundable.

Any tips on how to proceed?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:24 pm

Nope. You just got outplayed by their new interpretation of their rules.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by nli007
OMG. IHG just responded... because there is a package rate called Chauffeur Express (non-refundable) which includes breakfast on the IHG site and that package rate is cheaper than the flexible rate (currently lowest available) with breakfast add on of 30 EURO, my claim is denied

I bet if I book this Chauffeur Express, IHG would then come back at me with "The Chauffeur" package includes free transportation which the 3rd party rate does not. And I would be stuck since its non-refundable.

Any tips on how to proceed?
Can they really compare rate that include things more than breakfast? I kind of remembered that they only compare breakfast inclusive rates but nothing else.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:53 am

i've had them accept airport parking and dinner before.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:00 pm

For what it's worth, I submitted a claim today for an IC property which was denied because I booked with breakfast (even though the competing website offered the same room with breakfast cheaper) instead of the lowest, base rate (without breakfast).

So maybe they're eliminating breakfast packages from qualifying under their new BPG 2.0 interpretation of the rules?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:32 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JDavis625
For what it's worth, I submitted a claim today for an IC property which was denied because I booked with breakfast (even though the competing website offered the same room with breakfast cheaper) instead of the lowest, base rate (without breakfast).
Sounds like the goal of the BPG offer was to shut down competing sites and I'm sure a considerable bonus for the managers is involved. Now it's time to show that fewer and fewer valid claims are coming in in order to cash out the bonus payment...

Claiming that they cannot compare a OTA rate with addons with a IHG rate without addons is already ludicrous. Telling you that you cannot BRG any rate with breakfast is unbelievable...

HTB.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by htb
Claiming that they cannot compare a OTA rate with addons with a IHG rate without addons is already ludicrous. Telling you that you cannot BRG any rate with breakfast is unbelievable...
I'm not trying to give IHG any ideas, but I'm surprised they haven't limited BRG claims to the cheapest room type yet. But yeah, not allowing breakfast rates is ridiculous when they're offered on the competing sites.

I thought about trying to appeal the denial with the BPG team, but decided to save my time / mental anguish and just cancel and rebook the rate without breakfast. The second claim, identical to the first except for breakfast, was approved.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:01 am

So maybe they're eliminating breakfast packages from qualifying under their new BPG 2.0 interpretation of the rules?
No, got one the other day with bfast
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:03 am

I'm not trying to give IHG any ideas, but I'm surprised they haven't limited BRG claims to the cheapest room type yet. But yeah, not allowing breakfast rates is ridiculous when they're offered on the competing sites.

I thought about trying to appeal the denial with the BPG team, but decided to save my time / mental anguish and just cancel and rebook the rate without breakfast. The second claim, identical to the first except for breakfast, was approved.
They approved my claim as usual, with breakfast.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
They approved my claim as usual, with breakfast.
And this was since they began reinterpreting the terms and conditions recently?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:24 am

Perhaps still YMMV depending on the agent you get, but I'm getting the you must have booked the lowest rate too:

Thank you for contacting IHG’s Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk with regard to your claim decision.

Per the program Terms and Conditions, to be eligible for a Valid Claim a guest must: “Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the ‘Best Available Rate Search.’”

So you must booked the lowest best available rate on any IHG website for you to qualify regardless of the rate's inclusion like breakfast.

It has come to our attention that some previous claims were deemed “Valid” contrary to the intent of this statement. All previously awarded claims will remain “Valid” and will be honored in full by IHG and our hotels. However, we will continue to uphold this portion of the Terms and Conditions moving forward.
Unfortunate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.