Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I am not prepared to take that risk over a similar amount of money for a prepaid non-cancellable rate.
you know there are ways around that risk?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I think I have found a candidate for a best rate claim, but before I book, I would like to know if there are any pitfalls.
Maybe one of you guys can help?

I first made a refundable booking and sent in a best rate claim for a refundable rate at another website (the cancellation policy was slightly differed, but I thought it was worth a shot).
The claim was denied because I could have booked a non-refundable rate.

So now I cancelled the refundable rate, but I'm hesitating to book a non-refundable rate, as long as I don't know that it's likely they will accept the claim.

Here are the details:

Rate type: Non-refundable ("Advance Saver Rate")
Room type: (same)
Breakfast included: No
No. of adults: 2
No. of nights: 1
Immediate confirmation: Yes
IHG rate: 320 GBP (hotel currency)
3rd party rate: 315.25 GBP

Do you see anything they could use as an excuse for denying my claim?
If not, I would book it.
Thanks.
Have yo tried logging into IHG rewards? If there is a rewards rate that is cheaper than GBP 320, they will definitely turn you down too.

IHG is playing unfair about this - it's crazy that they compare members only rate to publicly available rate. At the same time they don't accept any rate that requires you sign up for a free membership.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Have yo tried logging into IHG rewards? If there is a rewards rate that is cheaper than GBP 320, they will definitely turn you down too.

IHG is playing unfair about this - it's crazy that they compare members only rate to publicly available rate. At the same time they don't accept any rate that requires you sign up for a free membership.

I have to say, and not because I got turned down for something similar as it was my first go at it and really i expected it, im new at this, but its crazy that they get to choose what to compare it to and i dont. for example in my case a refundable with a refunadble but they cited a non refundable rate was cheaper. Well I dont book non refundable lol

and in this case itd be a member rate vs public rate.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Usually I would like to book a cheaper hotel, but all hotels seem to be really expensive in London.
I don't really see any value in staying at a HIX for 90 GBP...

But what are they going to say to deny my claim?
This looks like a pretty clear case, provided the cheap rate is still available on the 3rd party website?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by emkay
you know there are ways around that risk?
Can you expand on this? How?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:26 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by luftair
cancellation deadline
Different taxes imagined by the BRG team. Different currency imagined by the BRG team. Some kind of included or excluded benefit imagined by the BRG team. BRG team can't find the cheaper rate. BRG team never receives your claim and then claims you have claimed too late. BRG team has the cheaper rate corrected and then immediately rejects your claim. The IHG rate goes down after you book and the BRG team will reject your claim because there's a cheaper rate available. There may be a cheaper rate available on a Japanese-only version that belongs to IHG and the BRG team will deny your claim because you didn't book the cheapest rate available on any IHG website.

I'm sure others (and the BRG team) can come up with more ways to deny your claim.

HTB.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by tys90
Can you expand on this? How?
vcc
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:36 pm

IHG rate: $166 (non-refundable, standard room)
Priceline rate: $104 (same terms/room type)

Denied because they can't replicate. Apparently it's a rate visible on Priceline only when you log in. The way I read article 7 of their T&Cs, it's still a public rate. Stay tuned for more...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
So based on recent posts is it correct to assume that it is not possible to claim for a breakfast inclusive rate unless either

a) there is no room only rate available

or

b) the breakfast inclusive rate is lower than the room only rate?

Or have they taken things to extremes to suggest that one must book the 'lowest available rate', literally, meaning it would not be possible to claim against anything other than whatever the cheapest room type is on any given day?

I wonder how they'll be interpretted next month!?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I should have listened to you.
I couldn't resist the urge to gamble and made a non-refundable booking, and now the rate on the third-party website happens to be higher, after it had stayed the same for several days.
Really smells like they have had it fixed...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
So based on recent posts is it correct to assume that it is not possible to claim for a breakfast inclusive rate unless either

a) there is no room only rate available

or

b) the breakfast inclusive rate is lower than the room only rate?

Or have they taken things to extremes to suggest that one must book the 'lowest available rate', literally, meaning it would not be possible to claim against anything other than whatever the cheapest room type is on any given day?

I wonder how they'll be interpretted next month!?
Your interpretation has been my interpretation also.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I couldn't resist the urge to gamble and made a non-refundable booking, and now the rate on the third-party website happens to be higher, after it had stayed the same for several days.
That's the reason why I never do non-refundable booking as IHG tends to sell their rooms at a much higher price than e.g. hotwire (I know it's not a fair comparison but if you are travelling on your own dime then it becomes relevant).

I found out about this when I was looking for reviews at TA, e.g. CP Suites Houston Sugarland are selling at $159 at IHG and people get them for as low as $59 at Hotwire. Hotwire is easy to guess and you find plenty of hints online.

I booked their extortion rates because of the bonus points/promo, otherwise I might as well book it somewhere else.

Hopefully you can stack your stay with the promo to get some extra points.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
But like you said all similar standard hotels that location+date pairing are similar rates so you did not overpay as you would have booked circa £300/night rate at any hotel you booked this date

Also your OTA rate was only £5 less so was well worth investing the £5 on ihg.com direct to have chance on a free night.

Denial is much more annoying when sometimes you find OTA at say 2/3 of ihg online rate, in which case if you win one from three bpg's and pay full ihg rate twice then alas you save no money over buying OTA room 3x

Once OTA discount us 30-50% these days better not to risk bpg denial and simply go ahead and book your room on the OTA. Also applies now one can you non-transparent sites for even cheaper room rates if not needing to try a bpg claim

Also if under IHG 2016 interpretation of t+c's , if I can only book and bpg cheapest entry level room, I don't always want the room
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:57 pm

Wouldn't put it past them (after all, the intent of BRG programs - per Marriott, anyways - is to help us find the cheaper rates so that they can fine the websites that post them). This program is a crock of .... and I really hope someone someday takes IHG to court over it.

I really hope IHG reads these forums. I am literally at a point where I am going to use up my points as soon as I can, cancel my IHG card and walk the hell away from their program. Spire member, by the way. I hate to see how they treat people without status.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:20 pm

Starwood's best rate guarantee, on the other hand, seems really fair...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.