Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2008 - 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2008 - 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Platinum ambassador

Currently in IC Bali

Booked points paid to upgrade $180 night.

On arrival upgrade refused. Advised space available only. Offered 2x 1 hour massage plus wine. Given 2 x queen bed room which I declined.

After some discussion duplex made available for duration of stay!

Good. Fabulous grounds good food

Bad, check in and slowwwwwwwwww service at breakfast .15 minutes for coffee!
Club benefits strictly in club lounge only.

Welcome gift

Chocolates and nuts

Fruit every day so far.

Would not return on current experience. Not good value overall.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: BD Blue (but > 300k mi)
IC Times Square NY

What is your Priority Club status?
Gold Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel?
6 out of 10

Which room did you book and which room did you receive?
Booked a 2 Double skyline - got a 2 Double Skyline - no upgrade available

How are the rooms?
View was away from TSq and down 8th and off to the Hudson. Beds were definitely doubles (i.e. smaller than queen), no bath but large rain shower.

How is the exec. lounge?
If it had one, I wasn't invited...

What was your welcome gift?
Just the fruit - we did get chocolates in turndown

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Hotel location was good - lots of diners / restaurants nearby. Umbrellas for the rain, good working aircon, good rainshower - free wifi for Amb

Bad:
No upgrade possible as I'd booked the highest room available for 4 people. But not highest in hotel. Disappointed with 2 staff saying 'oh well'. Had to ask for compensation - have been offered points. Am disappointed because of the order (booked then offered Amb then bought Amb) so thought upgrade would be/was available.

Bed size / room size - not really for 4 - room was really a one king, not a 2 double

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Probably not as a 4 - yes as a 2. Room rate was F&F $320pn so not too bad
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:16 pm
JBa

Programs: some
IC Chicago OHare

Ambassador

Booked standard room, received Junior Suite

How are the rooms?
Larger room with king size bed, couch and wet bar?

How is the exec. lounge?
Still no lounge

Fruit and the famous pop corn, yummi

Yes

Good:
Like the location. Had dinner at M&S, which was ok. Unfortunately beer was flat. Went back to the hotel and checked out their new Bar/Restaurant. Beer tasted great and they had a nice Cheese platter. Didn't check the food in the restaurant.
Bad:
Little surprised that they add gratuity to the minibar items.

Good, Yes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:23 pm

Intercontinental Madrid

Platinum Ambassador

so so

Booked a standard and paid extra for club room (around 60 dollars/night)

How are the rooms?
room was nice, big balcony facing main road/park. nice bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
service was bad the first time around. filed a complaint and service fixed instantly. nice lounge in general, nice food, good drink selection and two computers.

fruit and water and letter.

Yes

good location, nice hotel facilities. great outdoor brunch.

service was mediocre and ended up giving about 100 euros in tips during 4 day stay just to get good service from doorman, concierge, and other staff which we generally can't live without .
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Intercontinental Nice (Carlton Hotel)

Platinum Ambassador

spectacular

Booked standard room, received larger standard room.

How are the rooms?
rooms and facilities were fantastic.

How is the exec. lounge?
did not use it if there is one, the hotel and surrounding areas are so nice, no need to go to lounge.

Yes

excellent location, staff are very very friendly, hotel lobby is beautiful with nice cafe. food is great, people are great. all around awesome hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:28 pm

Intercontinental Washington, DC (Willard Hotel)

Platinum Ambassador

nice traditional style hotel with outdated rooms

Booked a standard and upgraded to top floor room (executive room?)

How are the rooms?
Room was very spacious but had horrible lighting due to building design (very small windows). All of the facilities were somewhat dated, light switches, etc... are all old. Poor lighting made it difficult to get work done.

How is the exec. lounge?
didn't use it if there was one.

fruit, water, chocolates, letter.

Yes

hotel is luxurious, great location in downtown DC. good service and friendly staff.

Bad: rooms are too old and dated with poor lighting.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:30 pm

Intercontinental Alpensia (Korea)

Platinum Ambassador

fabulous stay

Booked a standard and received full suite (separate bedroom) very large.

How are the rooms?
room was amazing, nice big living room with small kitchen and dining area. Spacious bedroom and beautiful bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
service and facilities were all excellent. didn't use the exec lounge if there is one.

Yes

great service. no complaints.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:33 pm

Intercontinental Century City

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked standard, received suite with separate bedroom.

How are the rooms?
room was nice with nice room and nice balcony. nothing luxurious but nice homey feeling. bathroom is soso (i.e. not modern style)

How is the exec. lounge?
do'nt know if they have one.

Yes

good service, free use of car limo within 5 mile radius allowing access to beverly hills (rodeo drive), century city mall, and other nearby attractions.

wish they had more updated bathrooms.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:36 pm

Intercontinental Hong Kong

Platinum Ambassador

very pleased

Booked standard and received executive room (not a suite but larger room)

How are the rooms?
room had a nice view, was modern and nice amenities (nice little gadgets stereo etc...)

How is the exec. lounge?
didn't use

Yes

spectacular view of the bay. location is nice to walk around. service is nice, good food.

Bad, construction going on next door so loud during the day and the pool is virtually unusable due to noise.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:15 am

Welcome to FT auclutch. Great way to start your membership here with 6 mainly positive reviews
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Intercontinental The Clement Monterey CA

Platinum Ambassador

Yes - superb

Booked standard king; received King Ocean Front Junior Suite (a had this room type before when I was RA)

How are the rooms?
Superb - door between living area and bedroom & 2 bathrooms so more than a Junior Suite

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
Great upgrade (the hotel was full so I think I was lucky)
Good staff
Excellent restaurant
Fruit & chocolate in room

Bad:
Monterey weather!

Not cheap but great value for what I got. Would definitely return
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Intercontinental San Francisco CA

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked Standard King with parking package; was initially upgraded to King Corner but it was not ready when I arrived. Reception therefore changed room to a Club room on 32nd floor

How are the rooms?
Really nice. Whenever I've stayed before before I've had either Junior Suite or Executive Suite, but to be honest I was just as happy with a smaller room - furnishings were equally as good

How is the exec. lounge?
Good as ever

Good:
Nice modern rooms
Internet seems to be working better than previous stay
Good upgrade
Parking package worked well

Bad:
Nothing

I originally booked another (non-IHG) hotel for this stay, but changed my mind when I re-read my previous review. Definitely my hotel of choice in San Francisco
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
IC San Francisco

Originally Posted by davidw70
I originally booked another (non-IHG) hotel for this stay, but changed my mind when I re-read my previous review. Definitely my hotel of choice in San Francisco
Could not agree more... It is certainly my hotel of choice, and have two stays coming up and can't wait to get back there!

Our crew hotel is not too far away from the IC, and we drove past it when I was there a few weeks ago... I really wanted to ask the driver to let me out there so I could check in at the IC instead...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:39 pm

Intercontinental Mark Hopkins SF, CA

Platinum Ambassador

Yes - after a couple of hiccups were resolved

This is where things get slightly tricky...
6 months before stay 2 Reservations back to back: Booked Standard King room with View for three nights, then three rewards nights (can't specify room but I was told by someone from the reservations department that they would not make me change rooms)

3 months before stay: Changed first reservation to two nights in a Junior Suite with the "Enjoy San Francisco Package", changed second reservation to four rewards nights (again I was told that I would not need to move rooms)

When I arrived, I was assigned an Executive King room which I was told was an upgrade from the King Room with a View. I had to explain my situation and that I actually booked a Junior Suite for two nights. One of the managers looked reservation and I was given this offer:
1. One bedroom suites are currently booked for your first night here so I will credit you the difference in the room rates between a Junior Suite and the Executive Suite (ended up being only $15 because the rates had changed since I booked the reservation)
2. Night two we will move you to a One Bedroom Suite with a View of the Golden Gate Bridge for no additional charge (same price as my Junior Suite rate)
3. You can remain in this room for your 4 rewards nights for $100.00 per night (FYI, one bedroom suite room rate is over $400.00 per night)
I accepted the offer as I was on my honey moon and my new wife was not all that pleased with the King Executive Room.

How are the rooms?
King Executive Suite - I would call this room adequate for a short stay of no more than two days. The room is a decent size with a sofa and large coffee table placed between the king bed and TV. The bed was comfortable as was the Sofa. However, there is almost zero storage space. The closet is small and there are only three small drawers for storing clothes/unpacking. The bathroom was somewhat small with just enough room for a small tub, toilet, and single sink. Two people would have a difficult time being in that bathroom at the same time getting ready in the morning. If I were traveling alone for business, this room would have been fine for me.

One Bedroom Suite with View: This room was everything I could ask for and more. It is basically two separate rooms. The first is a large living room with a sofa, coffee table, two lounge chairs, tv, Dining room table with four chairs, coffee bar, two large closets, two end tables, and a large window with a nice view of the Golden Gate Bridge (Only got to see the bridge one day because of bad fog conditions but it was beautiful). There is no bathroom in this area but since my wife and I were not planning on having guests, this did not matter at all. The second area is entered through a door in the first. This consists of a large bedroom, king bed, two night stands, two lamps, writing desk, desk chair, tv, minibar, several storage drawers, large almost walk-in closet, and a large immaculate bathroom with his and her sinks, a large mirror, a large jetted bathtub, separate walk-in rain fall shower, and toilet. Top all this off with nice decorative plants like real orchids and a large palm and a second large window with an equally nice view of the bridge. I was more than satisfied with these accommodation although I did have to pay an additional $100 per night on top of my 40,000 point per night (No additional charge for the one paid night).

How is the exec. lounge?
I was not offered club access however my room package included breakfast at the Top of the Mark restaurant for my two paid nights which I took advantage of. The view from this restaurant is spectacular. I did not see the club lounge.

Good:
Great upgrade for the first night and I think a decent deal for my points nights.
The staff were very friendly at the front desk and the room service/room clean up staff were also very friendly.
The Top of the Mark restaurant is very good both for the large morning buffet and the small plates and deserts available at night. I will say it is outrageously expensive. I did not eat breakfast there after my two free meals. This was also partly due to the fact that I wanted to try several other breakfast cafes around San Fran.

Our first night at the Mark Hopkins, there was Fruit & chocolate in room, as well as, Champagne on Ice which was much appreciated.

OK:
I don't have a lot of good to say about the concierge. When he was there, he was polite and could answer my questions related to directions but he wasn't very forthcoming with recommendations. Grant it I never straight up asked something like "Please recommend a great Seafood Restaurant near Fisherman's Wharf" but I guess my past experiences with Concierge staff was that they were supposed to make you feel invited and at ease in an area you probably don't know very well. I didn't really get that kind of treatment. Perhaps I just wasn't assertive enough.

Bad:
The fog blocking the view of the Bridge was a bummer but Hotels can't control the weather as far as I know.

I would say when all was said and done and I paid my final bill that the cost was appropriate. I don't think I get a great deal considering I cashed in 160,000 points but I do think it was worth it for that One Bedroom Suite. I will probably return for a vacation in the future.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by temwt2
OK:
I don't have a lot of good to say about the concierge. When he was there, he was polite and could answer my questions related to directions but he wasn't very forthcoming with recommendations. Grant it I never straight up asked something like "Please recommend a great Seafood Restaurant near Fisherman's Wharf" but I guess my past experiences with Concierge staff was that they were supposed to make you feel invited and at ease in an area you probably don't know very well. I didn't really get that kind of treatment. Perhaps I just wasn't assertive enough.
Thinking back on it, my wife also commented about the concierge the same as you. I neglected to mention it in my review previous, but same applies. Didn't find them too helpful when I was at the property. We had an early appointment we were walking to, and we asked what place specifically they would recommend for a good breakfast along the way. The answer we got back, was "there were plenty of coffee shops near there, you can take your pick."

Not too helpful really, and didn't feel like they were too concerned after the taken aback expression on our faces

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.