Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2008 - 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2008 - 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
We have had one of these suites (are these the suites ???) stretch the entire length of the floor along 8th Ave. Going back in August and using the Weekend Cert, hoping for a sweet/suite upgrade.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ZKOKA
The 200 bus stop bound for the zoo is directly in front of the hotel, just turn right when you exit the building and you'll see it. Change for X9 or 109 bus at the zoo.
Thanks. A "paltry 10 Euros" can now become 20.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
Intercontinental Berlin

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay ?
Yes (despite the poor initial impression, see below)

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard on 2-4-1 rate, received Deluxe King.

How are the rooms?
The room is huge (from floor plan it looks like Deluxe is twice the size of Standard). Spacious bathroom, walk-in shower and separate bathtub. Caffitaly machine.

How is the exec. lounge?
65EUR for Amb. Didn't pay.

What was good and what was bad?

Good
Great location, walking distance to Zoo/Kudam area. Bus 200 (in front of hotel) runs to major attractions to central and eastern Berlin.

Bad
TV is in an awkward location -- you can't watch it comfortably from bed or sofa.
Room is in ultramodern/minimalist decor and cold colors (think grey/silver), not really to my personal taste.
There was fire alarm and evacuation when I arrived, so I had to take a walk with my luggage. When I returned, a big group of tourists had swamped the checkin. No Ambassor welcome amenities in room and I had to call to confirm.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes. Overall it's a good property and great value, though services could be slow when it's really busy.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FrugalLuxury
Platinum Ambassador

How is the exec. lounge?
65EUR for Amb. Didn't pay.
Lounge reception have told me that when you purchase Club Lounge you get the following IC Berlin hotel benefits, independent of any IHG/PCR status.
Free inroom Mini-bar
Free Business Speed Internet
++ Food, Drinks in Lounge (Beers available all day long, spirits in evening only)
which also includes option of both inroom breakfast and LA Cafe breakfast. (Breakfast alone is 30euro/person)

I guess this is why Club Lounge is discounted from 90 to 45euro for RA's, (Jan2013 rates) as we get free mini-bar and free internet anyway.

With minibar + highspeed internet benefits, I think discounted 65euro access is a worthwhile investment for Ambassadors, especially for two people meaning two 30euro breakfast costs saved.

Last edited by scubaccr; Jul 23, 2013 at 5:23 am
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: IC - Plat Ambassador, HH - G, AA - G, VS -G RJ - S, EK
IC Aqaba

Platinum Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay ?
Yes - as always

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked two cheapest advance rate rooms and received two Club Floor rooms with full Club Access

How are the rooms?
Not large but sufficient
Perhaps a little tired now

How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent staff
Good selection of snacks throughout the day
Evening happy hour

What was good and what was bad?

Good
Staff are brilliant throughout
Granted Club Access

Bad
Sadly the manager and the exec-chef have subsequently left since last month

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes, but there again we do seven or eight times a year every year
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:29 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
IC Barclay New York

IC Barclay, New York

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
I can't say I was unhappy, but it wasn't a spectacular stay, nor a spectacular hotel. Good place to use the Amb certificate, though.

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a basic room and received a suite.

- How are the rooms?
Classic design, the suite is nice with a separate living room and a separate kitchenette. Bathtrooms on the smaller side, but okay. For New York, the size is actually very nice.

- How is the exec. lounge?
Didn't go.

- What was good and what was bad?
Location is very good. Using the AMB certificate in NY is a good deal. AMB fruit amenity was waiting, so was the mineral water, although it wasn't replenished on the second day. No arrival gift. Granted late checkout without asking.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Only to use another AMB certificate, but I woldn't pay sticker price.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:36 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
IC Shanghai Pudong

IC Shanghai Pudong

Very much so. I was on the fence about renewing Ambassador, but the stay prompted me to do so.

Booked the cheapest room and received an upgrade to Club level suite.

- How are the rooms?
Excellent, very elegant and luxurious. The bathroom was especially nice. Large with a bath and a rain shower. Ample amenities in the bathroom.

Didn't go. Costs around 50 USD. Top floor, so view could be nice.

Excellent staff, rooms are great. Excellent location in the city, close to subway but far from the crowded and scammer-filled Bund. Fruit amenity was waiting and tasty (figs, mandarin oranges and plums). Housekeeping brought VOSS water for the water amenity. Received a gift of some tea in a nice box at check-in.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Booked a 4K bonus points package for the same price as the Best Available rate, so the value was pretty good, given the price level in the city. Would definitely return.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Lounge reception have told me that when you purchase Club Lounge you get the following IC Berlin hotel benefits, independent of any IHG/PCR status.
Free inroom Mini-bar
++ Food, Drinks in Lounge (Beers available all day long, spirits in evening only)
which also includes option of both inroom breakfast and LA Cafe breakfast. (Breakfast alone is 30euro/person)

I guess this is why Club Lounge is discounted from 90 to 45euro for RA's, (Jan2013 rates) as we get free mini-bar and free internet anyway.

With minibar + highspeed internet benefits, I think discounted 65euro access is a worthwhile investment for Ambassadors, especially for two people meaning two 30euro breakfast costs saved.
You are absolutely right regarding the benefits, and it would make sense to purchase the club access for most people. I didn't go for it as I was traveling by myself, don't drink alcohol (hence mini-bar less valuable), and found the free internet speed sufficient. Thus I would be basically paying 65EUR for breakfast, which I'll pass

Btw, there is a nice cafe closeby serving tasty (actually quite extensive) breakfast plates for about 5EUR. Just turn right outside the hotel and go to the big road intersection, the cafe is in sight across the road on the left.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FrugalLuxury
You are absolutely right regarding the benefits, and it would make sense to purchase the club access for most people. I didn't go for it as I was traveling by myself, don't drink alcohol (hence mini-bar less valuable), and found the free internet speed sufficient. Thus I would be basically paying 65EUR for breakfast, which I'll pass

Btw, there is a nice cafe closeby serving tasty (actually quite extensive) breakfast plates for about 5EUR. Just turn right outside the hotel and go to the big road intersection, the cafe is in sight across the road on the left.
I am staying again this weekend for 3day Berlin Beer Festival 2nd-4th August, staying Friday through to Monday evening.

I too will avoid 45euro RA Lounge fee, but mostly because hot evening food is only provided Mon-Fri. I will buy the in-room dining 300g steak for 29euro instead.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:54 am

I am staying again this weekend for 3day Berlin Beer Festival 2nd-4th August, staying Friday through to Monday evening.

I too will avoid 45euro RA Lounge fee, but mostly because hot evening food is only provided Mon-Fri. I will buy the in-room dining 300g steak for 29euro instead.
Hope you enjoyed your stay and the beer festival. Sounds like you should come to MUC for the Oktoberfest Too bad no top-end IHG properties in the area, no IC or even CP...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
IC Willard Washington DC

Generally OK - not superb as it should be in such a classic hotel

Booked Deluxe King, received Premium View King

- How are the rooms?
Generally good, but seemed a little tired in places (especially bathroom). Despite the room's name, it didn't have much of a view (I was directly above the Cafe du Parc)

N/A

Good
Excellent location and beautiful building
Generally nice room
Decent internet

Bad
Quite a queue to check-in, and no pre-upgrade so the whole process took time
Breakfast at Cafe du Parc - terrible service and hot items were barely hot
Did not get points for incidentals - ongoing discussions with IHG Rewards to get this corrected

- Value for $ or IHG Rewards Points? Would you return?
This was a return visit - would like to return again but I think there's probably better available
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Intercontinental New York Times Square

Good - as expected

Booked King Deluxe, received King Skyview

- How are the rooms?
Small, but good quality. Excellent bathroom. Some furniture was scuffed. The rooms are not the 5* luxury quality you'd expect from the Intercontinental brand, but are very functional and clean

N/A

Excellent location
Fast internet
Upgrade provided on reward night stay
Evian water replaced each day plus nice chocolates as gift and at turndown
Ambassador desk manned
Late check-out without issue
Excellent meal at Todd English Ca Va

- Value for $ or IHG Rewards Points? Would you return?
Excellent value on points - would definitely return
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Free inroom Mini-bar

This information is really good to know. I will be staying here for four nights at Christmas and will take advantage of this add-on.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Star Alliance, PC Plat Amb, Delta
IC Paris Le Grand

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Plat Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel?
Very much so

Which room did you book and what upgrade did you receive?
Booked Classic room on points - upgraded to Opera view deluxe - feels like I could almost touch the wing of the angel on the building. Moved to end of the hallway Club Room. New room was on the side of Hotel Scribe.

How are the rooms?
You were not kidding when you said the very elegant rooms with nice reproductions were small (3120 if I am not mistaken) - we had 2 medium sized suitcases which we did not unpack since we were only going to be here 3 days. It was very tight. We had serious issues in the decently sized bathroom - the very heavy tall mirror was lop sided, unstable & very dangerous. It turns out, there was one missing screw on the top. I am from Tokyo where we have earthquakes more often than we would want so I'm a little cautious about securing heavy objects.

Discovered there was also a significant amount of mold and mildew in the bathroom stall & shower areas in the evening. I am asthmatic and severely allergic.

After a very good night's sleep, called to get the mirror fixed & requested housekeeping to do a more thorough clean up of shower & toilet areas. Returned from our day long tour but nothing was done even though we got a message from Instant service checking to see if we were satisfied with the work done.

A call to the Club Lounge resulted in profuse apologies and a move to a much much bigger room. Could have been a Club Room at the very end of the hallway.

How is the exec. lounge?
50 Euro supplement which we were more than happy to pay. Lots of choices in a very cozy space. Great service !

[B]What was your welcome gift?[B]
Nice memo pack (still haven't opened it), still water
Welcome letter from Manager & Concierge with lots of treats (see below)

Did you receive fruit in the room
Bowl of fruit selection

What was good
This was the start of our 25 day EU tour for our 25th anniv celebration. We were endorsed by our IC Mla Manager & IC ANA Chief Concierge to their counterparts-
We received bubbly, macarons, extra fruit, water at turn down etc. Very, very generous.
We had a 6 AM departure so asked if we could order Room Service. Expected a simple continental breakfast of coffee, toast & fruit & the Room service sent us a feast of so much stuff including a platter of fresh fruit sculptures. Perhaps one of these days I'll get to post the pics.
We got to meet our hosts, PA to the GM & Phillipe, Chief concierge.
Excellent concierge service fro Phillipe and his team.
They comped us the wall socket adaptor

What was bad
Quite surprised with the shabby housekeeping in the bathroom.

Value for the money? Would you return?
50K a night with 50 Euro Club supplement- great value for us specially with the special treats we received. Would love to return !

Last edited by bmttokyo; Sep 2, 2013 at 10:42 pm Reason: details
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:05 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Star Alliance, PC Plat Amb, Delta
IC Rome de la Ville

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Plat Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel?
Yes we were

Which room did you book and what upgrade did you receive?
Initally booked HI Ex San Giovanni (it was a bear to walk from the metro to the hotel in the scorching heat with a suitcase - take a cab !) but when we got there, the AC system was off. Surprisingly, there were rooms available on points at the IC Rome. IC Paris PA to the GM had offered to call her colleague to endorse us but told her me made other plans. Emailed her of our predicament & by the time we arrived at IC Rome, they were already expectin us. Booked classic room received a room in the inner courtyard. Some times it feels you're just given any random room they can give you. Called to see if we could be moved to a better room- a Basilica view room was made available.

How are the rooms?
The inner courtyard room was pretty depressing and tight. The Basilica view room was a bit bigger, brighter & had a small very small but functional veranda where we enjoyed breakfast of a freshly made pizza, salad & drinks from a neighborhood pizzeria.

How is the exec. lounge?
None

What was your welcome gift?
Initially got a nice bowl of plums, half bottle of wine & still water in the small room but when we moved, a large bowl of sweet white peaches, bottle of bubbly were sent up with still water

Did you receive fruit in the room?
yes

What was good
LOCATION ! LOCATION ! LOCATION ! Everything is at your doorstep. It allowed us to freshen up after walking around in the heat to get ready for dinner.
Upgrade
Very good Concierge service from Nicola & his team. All his recommendations were on point even if we had to roam around to find them.
Got to meet PA to the GM who offered to call her colleague in Athens to
endorse us when we go there.

What was bad
Nothing

Value for the money? Would you return?
Will be more than happy to return

Last edited by bmttokyo; Aug 20, 2013 at 2:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.