Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Spiff
Frequently Asked Questions
Please read these before asking your question in the thread.
  1. Q. If I book a stay using IHG points, does that count as a "stay" towards my Into The Nights offers?
    A. No.

2. Q. If I book a stay using a cash and points rate, does that count as a "stay" towards my Into The Nights offers?
    A. No.

3. Q. Will stays booked via a consolidator (like TravelPony) or other public travel portal or points portal count towards this promo?
    A. No. Your stays must be booked directly with IHG on their website or on their app. However, if you are booking through your corporate portal at work, this may post if such stays usually earn you base points.

4. Q. How long will it take for my points to post?
    A. Normally they post within a week or two.

5. Q. How long after stay points post to my IHG account is it until my personal Into the Nights dashboard is updated showing progress in my offers?
    A. The Tuesday after the stay points post to account. (edit: has been Thursday lately, November)

6. Q. Where can I find the Bonus Point package with Breakfast rate?
    A. Click here to book Bonus Points Package with (or without) Breakfast rate.

NOTE: Make sure that your email confirmation states something like this:

Rate Description: Exclusive to IHG Rewards Club members. Earn Faster with this package offer plus breakfast - Earn 5,000 bonus IHG Rewards Club points per stay when you book the 5,000 Bonus Point Package plus breakfast each day (breakfast for up to 2 adults sharing a room). Membership in IHG® Rewards Club is free! Points can be redeemed at any time for a variety of rewards, including free hotel stays starting at just 10,000 points, airline miles, name-brand merchandise and more. Book now to take advantage of this special offer!

Otherwise you booked the wrong rate type. This type of rate also comes in a 1000 point version.

7. Q. I registered for this promotion before 10/20/2014 and my tasks changed! (E.g., "book a stay with the app" became "book 9 stays with the app").
    A. See this post from IHG's FlyerTalk representative.

8. Q. Does a Holiday Inn Express stay count as a Holiday Inn stay?
    A. No

9. Q. What are the conditions for the free nights being awarded?
    A. Free nights must be redeemed by December 31st, 2015 and must be claimed by January 31st, 2015 or members will automatically be awarded applicable points. Free Nights can only be used in participating IHG hotels and may not be transferred. A Free Night is valid only for one standard room night rate and applicable taxes (not including breakfast). Redemption is subject to availability of the rooms of hotels specially provided for this promotion. The hotel rooms hotels specially provided for this promotion shall be determined at IHG’s discretion.

10. Q.I chose the 2 free nights award, how do I book them?
    A. Go to your My Account page on ihg.com (after logging in). On the left hand masthead you will see an option labeled "Free Night Status". The page will show how many free nights you have available and provides a way to book the nights. Note that it's a bit clumsy -- an initial search will show that the lowest price is Free, but until you click thru you won't know if it's really available for your preferred nights.

11. Q. Can I trade the free nights?
    A. Not on FlyerTalk. They are specifically designated non-transferable.

Post #2585 has a link to the Dashboard. You can "Claim" free nights there.

Please update the FAQ as seems expedient.
Print Wikipost

"Into The Nights" 2014 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by joey1963
Please excuse my ignorance but hopefully one of you experts can please clarify.

My ITN offer is "complete 6 / 7 tasks & get 19,000 points or 2 free nights" does this mean there is an option to chose either 19,000 points or 2 free nights ??
Without seeing your specific page, I believe that you will get the individual component completion points added to your account as you fulfill those. When you have six finished, you will then have a choice of either:

a) Add 19,000 points to my account

OR

b) I'd like two free nights
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: IHG Plat,*A Gold, US CP
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
As I wrote in an earlier post on this subject, the import of the requirement is a 2 night weekend stay including a Saturday night = either a Friday night and a Saturday night or a Saturday night and a Sunday night, but that it had to include a Saturday night.

Your weekend includes a Saturday night and a Sunday night so it would appear to conform to this requirement.

What I do not understand, and I think that you are being purposefully vague about it, is why if you had these 2 nights booked, did you feel compelled to put them under 2 separate confirmations/reservations?

It certainly would be the case as Hanibal Lecter and others seem to have reported that a 2 night weekend stay booked under 1 confirmation number counted towards 1/2 of this required activity, so why the 2 separate confirmation numbers?

What was the purpose of the 2 separate confirmation numbers inasmuch as IHG averages the 2 nights in the rate that is displayed if you book a 2 night reservation under one confirmation number and the rates are different for each night.

Did your booking use a separate rate code, such as a corporate rate code or the like for each night?

Again, why did you structure your stays in this way under 2 reservations as it seems self-defeating, unless you were not sure you were going to stay both nights and therefore, you wanted to take advantage of 2 separate cancelation policies for each of the 2 reservations!!!

Then, you were not actually EXTENDING your weekend stay by an extra night -- e.g., you had a reservation and decided to stay an extra night either on the tail end of your 1 night stay, or perhaps add an additional night before your Sunday night stay commenced -- rather, you structured your "stay" as 2 SEPARATE nights, each with a SEPARATE CONFIRMATION NUMBER AND RESPECTIVE CANCELLATION POLICY, thereby hedging your bets in case it proved impossible for you to "extend" your stay by an extra night. In such a case, no clear intention to EXTEND YOUR STAY AN EXTRA WEEKEND NIGHT can be ascertained from the very outset of the booking process!.

Two (2) separate confirmations do not evince a real desire to extend one's stay an extra night as would be accomplished by putting the entire stay under just one confirmation number, rather, it seems that you were not sure you could stay the extra night, and therefore, wished to secure the benefit of having 2 separate confirmation numbers with 2 separate cancelation policies if this proved to be the case -- it seems that you obtained your cake, but not your dessert, as you were impaled upon a petard of your own choosing, my friend.

Of course, I don't expect for you to agree with me for I either hit the nail on the head and they caught you trying to play fast and loose with the commonsense interpretation of what extending one's stay actually means = same confirmation number, or you are too obtuse to understand this type of restriction.

In any event, I am now satisfied that they rightly disallowed your activity as not meeting the terms and conditions that they set forth, and I share neither your sense of outrage over their actions nor should they feel a scintilla of shame or disgrace for their rightful denial of your claim.
I too believe he is trying to game the system in one way or another. Possibly trying to fulfill another task that required a certain amount of nights. tried to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: IHG Plat,*A Gold, US CP
Please excuse my ignorance but hopefully one of you experts can please clarify.

My ITN offer is "complete 6 / 7 tasks & get 19,000 points or 2 free nights" does this mean there is an option to chose either 19,000 points or 2 free nights ??
that is correct. once you complete whichever 6 tasks you will get the option to choose between 19k points or 2 free nights.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:12 pm

Depending on the tasks, I could see trying to save cash.

1 night as advance purchase (say $90)
1 night as points with breakfast package (say $125)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bchang2001
I too believe he is trying to game the system in one way or another. Possibly trying to fulfill another task that required a certain amount of nights. tried to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Well, if he were trying to do that he again was being too smart by 1/2, as this promotion actually permits you to fulfill multiple requirements with one or more reservations, e.g.

I am required to stay 2 Saturday nights at 2 different HI family properties and I am required to stay 1 night at an Even hotel -- and that is it -- I fulfill my requirements for the 2 free nights, as my threshold is satisfying 3 of 4 requirements and I can completely fulfill one and 1/2 of the other, by staying at an Even hotel on a Saturday night. (The third requirement I easily accomplished by completing their survey.)

Consequently, by just adhering to a commonsense interpretation of their rules -- and if you are unsure contacting them for same -- I am working both within the spirit and the letter of their requirements. It is not something difficult to accomplish.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsona
Depending on the tasks, I could see trying to save cash.

1 night as advance purchase (say $90)
1 night as points with breakfast package (say $125)
Ahh good catch!!!

Well, if so, again too smart for one's own good.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:48 pm

Any news regarding stays/nights booked prior to the promotion?

I booked my #ChicagoSeminars HI Elk Grove back in the first half of 2014 with the special FlyerTalk discount code and while all my stay credit/points posted to my IHG account (for a stay checking out on 10/19), nothing has changed on my Into The Nights page and two Tuesdays have already passed.

Wondering if anyone has any insight regarding stays booked prior to the promotion. According to post #858 inside this thread, it has for one person. Any other feedback?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold. IHG Plat.
Cool

What I do not understand, and I think that you are being purposefully vague about it, is why if you had these 2 nights booked, did you feel compelled to put them under 2 separate confirmations/reservations?

It certainly would be the case as Hanibal Lecter and others seem to have reported that a 2 night weekend stay booked under 1 confirmation number counted towards 1/2 of this required activity, so why the 2 separate confirmation numbers?

What was the purpose of the 2 separate confirmation numbers inasmuch as IHG averages the 2 nights in the rate that is displayed if you book a 2 night reservation under one confirmation number and the rates are different for each night.

Did your booking use a separate rate code, such as a corporate rate code or the like for each night?

Again, why did you structure your stays in this way under 2 reservations as it seems self-defeating, unless you were not sure you were going to stay both nights and therefore, you wanted to take advantage of 2 separate cancelation policies for each of the 2 reservations!!!

Two (2) separate confirmations do not evince a real desire to extend one's stay by an extra night as would certainly have been demonstrably accomplished by putting the entire weekend 2 day stay under just one confirmation number, rather, it seems that if one were not sure they could stay an extra night, and therefore, wished to secure the benefit of having 2 separate confirmation numbers with 2 separate cancelation policies. However, by not being sure that one could not stay the extra weekend night and structuring the reservations to provide such an out -- it seems that they might have obtained their cake, but not their dessert, and they were thus impaled upon a petard of their own making.

Of course, I don't expect for you to agree with me but it seems to me that you are arguing against a commonsense interpretation of what extending one's stay by an additional night actually means = same confirmation number.

In any event, if this were the rationale for their denial of your claim, I am now satisfied that they rightly disallowed such activity as not meeting the terms and conditions that they set forth, and I can neither share your sense of moral outrage over their actions nor do I believe that they should they feel a scintilla of shame or disgrace for what I believe to be their rightful denial of your claim.
What a thoroughly entertaining reply NJUPINTHEAIR . You do have a really furtive imagination. Are you perchance a novelist?

Wow. Just wow. I am astounded by the ability of some posters here to head off on a tangent, come up with such outlandish conspiracy theories regarding my intentions while making a simple hotel booking & liberally employ multiple straw man arguments in a single reply.
Really good though - you're obviously well versed & practiced in such.

You should be working for some major hotel chain in their BRG department - I'll bet you would have a 100% "claim denied" record .

Little further clarification to allay your "gaming the system" conspiracy.

Booked the stay on the IHG app on my phone. Made several reservations at different IHG properties at the same time - we were vacationing in CA/NV. Made some single night bookings & some two night reservations. I had intended booking both nights together & actually thought I had selected the correct checkin/checkout dates i.e. Saturday to Monday.

Maybe the app defaults to single night searches? I don't know. I know it does revert to single adult searches for me anyway. I digress...

When I got to the confirmed booking screen, I noticed it had just the Saturday night. No big deal right - I just booked the Sunday night immediately afterwards.

No promo codes, no affiliate links, no rate codes, no difference in rate between nights, no necessity at all to have both nights on separate confirmations. I had no intention of cancelling that two night stay & did not require anything extra from the two nights.
If I had known then that my slight inattention at the time of booking would give IHG some ammunition to refuse to abide by their unambiguous & published T&Cs, I would have cancelled the individual reservations & simply remade the booking. There was no impediment to me doing that - they weren't advanced purchase rates or anything "promotional" - they were simply Saturday & Sunday nights at Best Flexible rate booked directly on the IHG app.
No discount, booked directly through IHG on their own app within two or three minutes of each other. Checking back now - the confirmation emails arrived three minutes apart.

If you or others want to theorize I was attempting to "game the system", that's your prerogative.

As I wrote in an earlier post on this subject, the import of the requirement is a 2 night weekend stay including a Saturday night = either a Friday night and a Saturday night or a Saturday night and a Sunday night, but that it had to include a Saturday night.

Your weekend includes a Saturday night and a Sunday night so it would appear to conform to this requirement.
Regarding your assertion that a Saturday night is also a requirement of this task, you are incorrect. Any two night stay including either a Friday or Sunday night is counted, be they Thursday & Friday or Sunday & Monday.
This I have confirmed, in writing from IHG.
No where is it written that a Saturday is a requirement so your "commonsense interpretation" is patently incorrect. You are cast, it would seem, from the same mold as IHG account management - deviating at will from the published T&Cs & creating new requirements under the aegis of "commonsense interpretation".

Then, one would not actually be EXTENDING one's weekend stay by an extra night -- e.g., one had a reservation and decided to stay an extra night either on the tail end of a 1 night stay, or perhaps by adding an additional night before the Sunday night stay commenced -- rather, one structured their "stay" as 2 SEPARATE nights, each with a SEPARATE CONFIRMATION NUMBER AND RESPECTIVE CANCELLATION POLICY, thereby hedging one's bets in case it proved impossible for one to "extend" their stay by an extra night. In such a case, no clear intention to EXTEND A WEEKEND STAY BY AN EXTRA WEEKEND NIGHT can be ascertained from the very outset of the booking process!.
Here I think you've totally...........well, I'm stumped. Honestly .
I'll think I'll get my tinfoil hat on..

Well, it's been emotional & I can do no more than share my experience with regard to this promotion. I will not accept their decision though - justice will prevail ^
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Jesus f. Christ people. Can we please cease waxing lyrical, park the Shamus award practice and read the very clear terms and conditions from IHG conveniently available at this link:

... Stay is defined per IHG Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out (“Stay”).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Can we..............read the very clear terms and conditions from IHG conveniently available at this link:
Well, the purpose of my original post was to highlight that IHG are disregarding their very own & very clear terms & conditions & to serve as a further warning to everyone regarding IHG & this promotion.

My apologies for getting drawn into discourse regarding the specifics .
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
It doesn't say that. The promotion headline, at least for me, says, "Book 4 stay(s) including a Friday or Sunday night (stay must include 2 or more nights)." (The T&C fine print says the same.)

So it would appear that a stay of Thursday/Friday nights or Sunday/Monday nights should work. One could argue that the title, "Extend your weekend," somehow implies that Saturday is required but this is ambiguous.

Of course my progress fits neither theory -- I have three Sunday/Monday stays that appear to have been credited to the total nights, and my progress shows one stay toward "Extend your weekend."

Edited to add: Sorry, I see that we debated this point before without resolution. Looks like it will be yet another fight with IHG. At least this task should be my seventh completed task and I only need six, so I don't have to risk the whole promotion.

Last edited by mecabq; Oct 31, 2014 at 1:01 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:54 am

I got credited for "extend your weekend" for a Sun & Mon 2 night stay. I didn't show on the dashboard originally so I submitted a "missing points" form & eventually the dashboard updated to include it.

I have also recently had a Thurs & Fri 2 night stay & wait to see if that'll appear on the dashboard.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:09 am
Suspended

I got credited for "extend your weekend" for a Sun & Mon 2 night stay. I didn't show on the dashboard originally so I submitted a "missing points" form & eventually the dashboard updated to include it.

I have also recently had a Thurs & Fri 2 night stay & wait to see if that'll appear on the dashboard.
I think IHG has been misleading slightly here. They call the promotion 'extend your weekend'. So people will grow a perception that one must stay over the weekend of either a Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday. But in fact as per T&C
Originally Posted by IHG
Qualifying Stays of 2 or more nights, inclusive of a Friday or Sunday night, have been consumed by the member between 4 September 2014 and 31 December 2014 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, EVENTM or HUALUXETM hotels worldwide.
There is no weekend mentioned!!! So if the T&C is strictly followed, Thursday and Friday or Sunday and Monday is OK too!!! I would say it is either:
1>, IHG allows any two nights stay with a Friday or Sunday inclusive
or
2>, The promotion is badly designed and they did not write T&C accordingly

I prefer it is the case 1 that IHG designed the promotion for any two nights stay inclusive Friday and Sunday.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:04 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
In any event, if this were the rationale for their denial of your claim, I am now satisfied that they rightly disallowed such activity as not meeting the terms and conditions that they set forth, and I can neither share your sense of moral outrage over their actions nor do I believe that they should they feel a scintilla of shame or disgrace for what I believe to be their rightful denial of your claim.
I'm sorry, but I think you lost me somewhere. Where did you say do the T&Cs state that you are not allowed to think about shortening a two night stay into a one night stay if you want to qualify for this promotion?

What's next? He only stayed two nights because he wanted the points? That's gaming the system because you should sincerely want to stay at the hotel in order to be awarded points...

As such, your whole argument is groundless. He stayed two consecutive nights including a Saturday and meets the conditions for the task.

HTB.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:50 am

Any one knows if the ongoing 48H Flash Sale in UK and Europe count towards the tasks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.