Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
How are things going on the IHG front? I have followed this thread with a bit of trepidation, although I don't see why: I have never used a Best Rate Guarantee, a Points Break Stay, or a BOGO until now (surely redeeming a Points Break Stay won't get you booted??). But I have entered a few codes, not hundreds, not even dozens, but maybe 20 or so as found on this forum earlier thus year. I haven't had many extra points because of them, maybe 6,000 or so, so I suspect I am in the clear. But it is a bit scary all the same. Good luck with it all.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
How are things going on the IHG front? I have followed this thread with a bit of trepidation, although I don't see why: I have never used a Best Rate Guarantee, a Points Break Stay, or a BOGO until now (surely redeeming a Points Break Stay won't get you booted??). But I have entered a few codes, not hundreds, not even dozens, but maybe 20 or so as found on this forum earlier thus year. I haven't had many extra points because of them, maybe 6,000 or so, so I suspect I am in the clear. But it is a bit scary all the same. Good luck with it all.
Although I've had no problems I know what you mean...I don't use this IHG program or codes much anymore but still with points in the bank it makes you think twice. The way I look at it IHG is just one of many vendors, just one of many reward programs...life goes on without them regardless.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:23 am

I'm still worried. I've used a lot of promo codes myself. I've got a week of points booked for first week of August. I just get this weird feeling my account is gonna get zapped that week. Hope I'm just being paranoid.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Concerto
i've been a IHG member since '01, have had one BRG, never had a Points Break stay, quite a few BOGOs, three reward nights, and thousands of paid suite nights, remember the codes can arrive in your email from award wallet, invitations on your award wallet account to apply codes, and also critically, made available on IHG's own endorsed website, just to add to the irony and confusion.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No recent shutdown reports... hopefully this madness settled down...
I would still be hesitant to call for any kind of manual agent involvement..
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
i've been a IHG member since '01, have had one BRG, never had a Points Break stay, quite a few BOGOs, three reward nights, and thousands of paid suite nights, remember the codes can arrive in your email from award wallet, invitations on your award wallet account to apply codes, and also critically, made available on IHG's own endorsed website, just to add to the irony and confusion.
I don't think you should be comparing yourself to others, as you have a very unique case. You used a BOGO nearly every week straight for one year. IHG told you that they went after you because of your excessive BOGO use, and they reinstated your account. Your case is very different to others on here.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So what should we do if we still have points missing from the last Big Win?
Keep quiet and just lose them?
Obviously at this stage only a manual adjustment would work. Have used a couple of codes here and there in the past.
In my case all points were posted except for the final Win Big.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Travellair
Obviously at this stage only a manual adjustment would work. Have used a couple of codes here and there in the past.
that's the large number, i would contact without any fear, as it's simple for a rep to see you achieved all the goals, and the system has just omitted to award the Win Big.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
I don't think you should be comparing yourself to others, as you have a very unique case. You used a BOGO nearly every week straight for one year. IHG told you that they went after you because of your excessive BOGO use, and they reinstated your account. Your case is very different to others on here.
it wasn't quite that many, but point taken, they did reinstate, and put the points back also, but took away RA, notwithstanding the fact they were processing them.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Travellair
It depends on how 'clean' your are and how many points you have in your account IMO. If you haven't done any BRG, booked PB excessively, stack/used promo code that you are not entitled to, and that you don't have many points in your account, then you have the 'ground' to ask for your missing points.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I had bonus points from a stacked promo code stay in early June post over this weekend. Make of it what you will.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
It depends on how 'clean' your are and how many points you have in your account IMO. If you haven't done any BRG, booked PB excessively, stack/used promo code that you are not entitled to, and that you don't have many points in your account, then you have the 'ground' to ask for your missing points.
i don't disagree with your general premise, given how dirty IHG is, you may well be right, in a relative sense.

but let's look at this factually, BRGs are an offer IHG made, your suggestion, and others, that if members took IHG up, and accepted that offer, and IHG processed, and agreed to meeting its offer, that they are therefore punished, or at least vunerable to being punished, is clearly wrong from so many perspectives, same goes for Point Breaks, and Promo Codes that IHG promoted, and advertised on it's own website, and via third parties, and if concerned, had every ability to control processing and accepting them, from a management perspective, IT, and other.

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Jul 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I had bonus points from a stacked promo code stay in early June post over this weekend. Make of it what you will.
that's quite the challenge given IHG is one party to the action
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
It depends on how 'clean' your are and how many points you have in your account IMO. If you haven't done any BRG, booked PB excessively, stack/used promo code that you are not entitled to, and that you don't have many points in your account then you have the 'ground' to ask for your missing points.
How would having a large amount of points legitimately accrued in your account make you at risk?

I have just used 200 000 points on a single booking with no problems.

Just curious as I still have close to 300 000 legit points and was wondering if I should be concerned about all that is going on in this topic as I plan on using most of these again on a single booking.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ryry2003
How would having a large amount of points legitimately accrued in your account make you at risk?

I have just used 200 000 points on a single booking with no problems.

Just curious as I still have close to 300 000 legit points and was wondering if I should be concerned about all that is going on in this topic as I plan on using most of these again on a single booking.
a lot of people are concerned, i had 2.3m, they took them out, and ended up putting them back in, but i believe the consensus now, at a minimum for most, is to retain lower balances to mitigate the risk with IHG, the absolute uncertainty, clearly IHG is a moving target and ambiguous at best, dishonest at worst. A lot are moving their stays to other groups as a result of uncertainty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.