Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by g2ney
Has anyone had success upgrading a base reward night room to one of the pool villas (1 Bedroom Seaside Villa On The Rocks, Seaside by the beach, and the penthouse)? I could book nights with 70k points per night only for the base suite. The price difference between base suite and the pool villas are $450. If I book and ask for upgrade would I simply have to pay incremental $450/night?

Thanks.
We completed our stay during Feb, stayed on the chase old FN certs. Upgraded from base room to the King Ocean View Suite (Son Tra level).
For your case you probably have to ask, I think they will surcharge you accordingly, since the villas you are asking for are all top tier category..
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by exploreaswego
We completed our stay during Feb, stayed on the chase old FN certs. Upgraded from base room to the King Ocean View Suite (Son Tra level).
For your case you probably have to ask, I think they will surcharge you accordingly, since the villas you are asking for are all top tier category..
Thank you for the response. Was the upgrade complementary?

How was the trip anyways?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Has anyone had success upgrading a base reward night room to one of the pool villas (1 Bedroom Seaside Villa On The Rocks, Seaside by the beach, and the penthouse)? I could book nights with 70k points per night only for the base suite. The price difference between base suite and the pool villas are $450. If I book and ask for upgrade would I simply have to pay incremental $450/night?

Thanks.
Typically an hotel may oversell entry level rooms and need to upgrade the bottom 1-2 catefories to the 3/4/5th categories and in doing so bump guests booking 3-5 up foc. In low occupancy times no bumping is required

Regards asking to upsell,

a)email before arrival results usually in high offer by frontdesk employee, simply wquoting usdnnn/night , amount being simply the roomrate $$$ difference on that day of asking/reply between Flex Rate og Booked Room v Target/Requested Room.

b)At checkin as Ambassador , even on award night you should hopefully get a 1cat upgrade (even 2 cat sometimes). You can now raise that you'd like a better upgrade and can pay for an upsell. You'd then be looking at the on day of checking $$$ rooms flex rate difference between gicen(upgraded room) and target room. The hotel may even offe upfron some discount to that full $$$ difference, and always worth a counter offer, and if front desk clerk cant odffer lower asking a manager my work as thery have more authority. In any case max iscount likely to be 30% off the flex rate difference.

At the end of the day, best upsell price is nearly always obtained by asking to upgrade​​​​​​ during checkin once any hotel foc room cat upgrade is given by the hotel, especially in low occupancy times for a multinight (more than say 3nights) stay.
not2017 and g2ney like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you for the response. Was the upgrade complementary?

How was the trip anyways?
Yup, our suite upgrades for both nights were all complimentary.
I'm only Spire elite and my partner is Platinum with IHG, no ambassador.
Which is why we were pleasantly surprised and very thankful for the pre-upgrade upon check in.

Our stay was ok, I think due to the poor weather season (extreme winds) and the covid pandemic causing low occupancy, the hotel was barely at 20%.
Most of the facilities were shutdown for maintenance, only 3 restaurants were open - Citron, Long Bar and La Maison.
Everything else was closed, and the winds were so strong, causing the strong waves to shut down the beach.
We spoke to a manager asking if we can pay for a one-time afternoon tea in the club lounge, but was told we have to pay for the full club benefit cost of $150 per pax.
We turned it down, we only wanted to pay for a one time experience and do something different than staying in the room.
Returning to room disappointed with the rigid policy, the team actually went above and beyond by calling us saying the GM extended a one-time courtesy and offered us for club benefit for the remainder of our stay. It was more than generous, but I think we lucked out, as we got to try the evening cocktail and breakfast the next morning.

I think the property is now closed due to the low occupancy, and reopening in June. I think in future, we'll come stay again when the property is fully open so we can enjoy all the facilities.

Our highlight was we got to see those Son Trang Monkeys in the club lounge, very rare sight and definitely something to remember.
not2017 and g2ney like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:49 am

Thank you guys for the reply.

I sent an offer to the hotel and they agreed to upgrade me from basic classic room to 1 bed pool villa by the beach for $300/night. The rate difference between classic and the pool villa is $467, so I think this is a reasonable upgrade? So our cost would be 70k points plus $300 per night.

Also, when I book with points, it says:

"Taxes and Additional Charges
5% per night not included in rate effective 20 September, 2020 thru 21 September, 2020
10.5% per night not included in rate effective 20 September, 2020 thru 21 September, 2020"

Although I don't see actual dollars in the screen. Do I pay this when I arrive at the hotel?

Thank you!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

I sent an offer to the hotel and they agreed to upgrade me from basic classic room to 1 bed pool villa by the beach for $300/night. The rate difference between classic and the pool villa is $467, so I think this is a reasonable upgrade? So our cost would be 70k points plus $300 per night.

5% per night not included in rate effective 20 September, 2020 thru 21 September, 2020
10.5% per night not included in rate effective 20 September, 2020 thru 21 September, 2020"

Although I don't see actual dollars in the screen. Do I pay this when I arrive at the hotel?

Thank you!
YUP you just pay as for normal hotel stay when checking out. Thats a great price for a villa upgrade! - does it include the club?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:20 pm

Thank you!
Congrats, a great upsell rate, better reduction than 70% of delta difference. fya I'd expect you will need pay taxes on that $300 upsell

As an aside, upsell cost is added to room rate part of hotel expenditure category, so on an award stay your upsell $$$'s will not earn you any ihg points.

If you'd booked an advance paid rate you might be charged immediately upfront before arrival, but with a flex (paid/award) night then most likely you'll pay upsell at checkin.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:22 am
Pid

Programs: BA Silver; Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Looking at booking a reward night but will be travelling as a family (2 adults, 3 year old, 1 year old (Cot required)). Does anyone know if this will be ok in a reward night base room or will they make me book two rooms or upgrade to a large room?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter

Thank you!
given that accordintg to IHg.com, all pool villas come as standard with club access, that's a big win
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
given that accordintg to IHg.com, all pool villas come as standard with club access, that's a big win
A even bigger win if they can re book @ 40,000 points a night with the recent changes!!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you had any experiences in booking 2 rooms with Intercontinental Danang and then paying an upgrade for a 2 Bedroom Villa?

Here is my situation right now:
My wife and I each hold IHG Spire Ambassador accounts. We have 2 unused BOGO certificate that comes with the Ambassador membership. We were thinking of booking a basic 1 King and 2 Queen room type to pay for an upgrade to the 2 Bedroom Villa.
Here are my questions:
1. Should I book a club intercontinental room prior to the upgrade? Or should I just book the most basic room on the property? Would really love to have club access there. What is the average rate of the club intercontinental upcharge for 2 pax in 1 room?
2. I read somewhere that the upgrade fee you pay at the property does not earn IHG points. Is that true? Or false?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by loyaltylobby88
Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you had any experiences in booking 2 rooms with Intercontinental Danang and then paying an upgrade for a 2 Bedroom Villa?

Here is my situation right now:
My wife and I each hold IHG Spire Ambassador accounts. We have 2 unused BOGO certificate that comes with the Ambassador membership. We were thinking of booking a basic 1 King and 2 Queen room type to pay for an upgrade to the 2 Bedroom Villa.
Here are my questions:
1. Should I book a club intercontinental room prior to the upgrade? Or should I just book the most basic room on the property? Would really love to have club access there. What is the average rate of the club intercontinental upcharge for 2 pax in 1 room?
2. I read somewhere that the upgrade fee you pay at the property does not earn IHG points. Is that true? Or false?
I would also like to book 2 rooms using points and upgrade to a 2 br for next Summer (2021). Please keep us posted if you find out anything from the hotel regarding this.
​​​​
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:31 pm

Sorry guys but i can not see IC Da Nang upgrading you from 2x basic rooms to a 2x BR Villa ... Look at the Delta Cost Difference for your two room (2x Base Flex versus [MENTION=1155]BR[/MENTION] Villa Flex), then factor in the hotel gets only 30% of rate from IHG for award bookings.

Also I saw another post further up ... you need be aware that a paid upgrade from a room without club benefits to a room with club benefits may not include associated club access., usually two prices ,
a)price for Room upgrade
b)further price supplement for Club access too. (easpecially if > 2 ppn in room). This is not just at Da Nang by the way
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
I'm curious, if you book the highest room category under the "2 Queen Club Intercontinental Room", how does the 1-category upgrade policy for Spire Ambassador members work? Will they give honour the Intercontinental Ambassador Guarantee?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Sorry guys but i can not see IC Da Nang upgrading you from 2x basic rooms to a 2x BR Villa ... Look at the Delta Cost Difference for your two room (2x Base Flex versus [MENTION=1155]BR[/MENTION] Villa Flex), then factor in the hotel gets only 30% of rate from IHG for award bookings.

Also I saw another post further up ... you need be aware that a paid upgrade from a room without club benefits to a room with club benefits may not include associated club access., usually two prices ,
a)price for Room upgrade
b)further price supplement for Club access too. (easpecially if > 2 ppn in room). This is not just at Da Nang by the way
I stayed here and they include club if upgraded room includes club. BTW When i was staying the offer was 250++ for club or something like 400++ from basic room to 1br villa incl of club. I asked and for my next stay they are offering club at 90++ usd which i think is a steal. However, Vietnam being very cautious country, I would be careful booking anything non-refundable until 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.