Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attention! You consumed minibar 'ABOVE AVERAGE'!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
IC Shanghai Pudong and Expo both now say in their welcome letter:

"If you wish to take mini bar items with you, for your convenience, we will bill these items directly to your room account."

As well, std benefits now state "in room consumption of minibar"
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mnredfox
IC Shanghai Pudong and Expo both now say in their welcome letter:

"If you wish to take mini bar items with you, for your convenience, we will bill these items directly to your room account."
Does it mean that they check the bin to see what was consumed in the room!?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
I still think that some are missing the point here.

If this is to STOP people from taking the minibar when they leave that OK. I drink and its fair to say well above average.

The minibar isnt there to be loaded into someones suitcase. It is there to be consumed while you stay there, yes that may mean the Entire Minibar. Once again drank while your are there, not packed up and taken home.

I agree with the comment "If you wish to take mini bar items with you, we will bill these items directly to your room account". Come on, they arent looking for the missing 1 or 2 minis, this is directed at the people who take everything..... it is pretty obvious when there are 2 items in the trash or on the counter and 15 missing from the bar......

I want free and clear access to the minibar when i travel, that doesnt change. If you want booze for the house, got to Circle K.

I dont believe the big brother is watching or that there are "trash can Police", and occassionally I'm sure the letters are sent out in error. But I say again, if you consume 15 items from the Mini.....there should be something in the trash!!!

I dont want dollar limits on my consumption either, or crappy minibars like Kuala Lumpur. If people take every freaking bottle and can each stay, hotels will limit what they stock. If people are just consuming them and leaving behind MOST of the empties....I dont think there is an issue.

At the end of the day, dont blame Ebay...... I am amazed at what is Pilfered at the lounges as well.....(IC's and Hiltons) People paying 200+ a night and making sandwiches to go.....but I digress.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shawntobi
I still think that some are missing the point here.

If this is to STOP people from taking the minibar when they leave that OK. I drink and its fair to say well above average.

The minibar isnt there to be loaded into someones suitcase. It is there to be consumed while you stay there, yes that may mean the Entire Minibar. Once again drank while your are there, not packed up and taken home.

I agree with the comment "If you wish to take mini bar items with you, we will bill these items directly to your room account". Come on, they arent looking for the missing 1 or 2 minis, this is directed at the people who take everything..... it is pretty obvious when there are 2 items in the trash or on the counter and 15 missing from the bar......

I want free and clear access to the minibar when i travel, that doesnt change. If you want booze for the house, got to Circle K.

I dont believe the big brother is watching or that there are "trash can Police", and occassionally I'm sure the letters are sent out in error. But I say again, if you consume 15 items from the Mini.....there should be something in the trash!!!

I dont want dollar limits on my consumption either, or crappy minibars like Kuala Lumpur. If people take every freaking bottle and can each stay, hotels will limit what they stock. If people are just consuming them and leaving behind MOST of the empties....I dont think there is an issue.

At the end of the day, dont blame Ebay...... I am amazed at what is Pilfered at the lounges as well.....(IC's and Hiltons) People paying 200+ a night and making sandwiches to go.....but I digress.
I see your point... But I have been sent this silly by IC in the past when I didn't drink much.

Now say the same situation had happened and instead of me getting a letter they had charged my credit card for Alcohol which I hadn't drank? I wouldn't be too impressed.

If they can send you a letter by mistake what is stopping them charging you by mistake?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:37 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
If they charged my CC I would just dispute the charge, email them a copy of the RA rules.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold
In general, I am just frustrated by IHG refusing to enforce uniform policies across their brands, specifically IC. The could certainly push down corporate guidance to that effect.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by timmyc99
In general, I am just frustrated by IHG refusing to enforce uniform policies across their brands, specifically IC. The could certainly push down corporate guidance to that effect.
The rules are clear: Minibar for in-room consuption only. Pushing down rules eventually means monitoring and checking in-room consumption. Nobody wants that. In the past nothing good has come out from demands to enforce rules.

The hotels in question are trying to enforce rules - just like some hotels will charge for the bathrobe one forgot in the suitcase, and some won't.

That said, I have nothing but good to say about the original hotel in question - however my minibar consumption is probably less than 0.15 drinks per day.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Oct 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
I suspect relatively recently anointed RAs born in the Middle Kingdom have been doing rather too many Chinese takeaways... and subsequently the hotel has had enough.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
My post above wasn't a reference to what my position is, just an FYI.

I do think it should be in room consumption, but would be nice if I could take 1 bottle of water our of the fridge to when I go out please.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:45 am

Years ago I was a frequent guest in Pakistan.My doctor was able to supply me with a certificate as an alcoholic so I could get beer from room service in certain hotels.Now I will take that with me so the reason fore my minibar consumption will be clear for the hotel management to see.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: ICH plat RA,HH Dia
Originally Posted by rapidex
Years ago I was a frequent guest in Pakistan.My doctor was able to supply me with a certificate as an alcoholic so I could get beer from room service in certain hotels.Now I will take that with me so the reason fore my minibar consumption will be clear for the hotel management to see.
let us know how this angle works for you.....
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
wow, 90% of the time my mini bar is missing a Coke Zero, and bottles of water. and never alcohol, because I dont drink. However the other 10% of the time the mini bar is cleaned out because i have friends traveling with me, and they use my room for a party because of the free booze.^
I have stayed at all 3 Shanghai IC MANY many times so someone should drink my allotment of booze because I dont think i have ever had more than 1 beer from the minibar in 6+ years.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Apparently, a RA was accused of "above average minibar consumption" at the InterContinental Toronto Centre!!! Really? How is that meassured? I thought you get what was in there already, no?

http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/10/30/a...oronto-centre/

InterContinental Hotel stay activities of our members with Royal Ambassador status are monitored in order to ensure our members receive their benefits and privileges. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your ‘complimentary beverages from the mini-bar’ privilege during your stay at InterContinental Toronto – Centre.

However, the hotel has notified us that there was an above average consumption from the mini-bar during your stay, and we would like to bring this to your attention. The mini bar privilege is meant for your personal consumption in your guest room and only during your stay, it is not to be used for entertainment purposes.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The mini bar privilege is meant for your personal consumption in your guest room and only during your stay, it is not to be used for entertainment purposes.
I never drink much more than Diet Coke and water. Still, I would really hate to receive such an email (and I really wonder what have done guests to get such an email).

By the way, is IHG going to monitor people getting out of the room and asking if they have drunk something from the minibar?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I never drink much more than Diet Coke and water. Still, I would really hate to receive such an email (and I really wonder what have done guests to get such an email).

By the way, is IHG going to monitor people getting out of the room and asking if they have drunk something from the minibar?
I don't drink in the hotel room but the IC NYC sent me a email. I guess I over did it on the soft stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.