Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attention! You consumed minibar 'ABOVE AVERAGE'!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I am not an RA, so can I ask a question.....is there any clause that states a fair useage policy? If not then they cannot argue you drank too much.

In htis case it looks like the hotel is trying to claim that the RA was in breach, assuming that the drinks were simply taken away in a suitcase as they did not find bottles/cans in the bin. If the RA had room service and has supplied them with pictuires of the drinks being consumed this wiould appear to undermin that argument.

There is also the possbility that a staff member emptied the mini bar.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire Royal Ambassador, Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by marty74
We stayed at the Intercontinental Sydney last month and on my RA welcome letter had the following point under my Royal Ambassador benefits:

"Reasonable consumption of the mini bar beverages for in room use only"

First time I have seen the mini bar consumption benefit noted like that on a welcome letter before !

Cheers
Marty
I think Sydney has always had that comment on their letter- in fact when I read the title of the thread I thought it was Sydney IC that did this. They've been known to be petty at times but maybe not this bad..
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Can someone make money by recycling the empty bottles
in Shanghai? Maybe that is why they were missing.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:18 pm

We stayed at the Intercontinental Sydney last month and on my RA welcome letter had the following point under my Royal Ambassador benefits:

First time I have seen the mini bar consumption benefit noted like that on a welcome letter before !

Cheers
Marty
My definition of reasonable has become much more generous since I became an alcoholic
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sosafan
Can someone make money by recycling the empty bottles
in Shanghai? Maybe that is why they were missing.
I'd say yes, given all the men on bicycles ringing bells for recycling.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., HHonors gold, IHG Plat., Accor gold, IC Amb, Hertz #1 club, Sixt plat.
I love this thread. Enjoying drinks from the minibar is now even more fun than before
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by krausolany
I love this thread. Enjoying drinks from the minibar is now even more fun than before
You should thanks to me. I'm the one who made ur mini-bar life more enjoyable.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by krausolany
Just remember to take a photo of the empty minibar bottles just in case you get a nasty note from the Ambassador service center.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Just remember to take a photo of the empty minibar bottles just in case you get a nasty note from the Ambassador service center.
I have one of my rooms at home decorated as an Intercontinental Room Mock-up. So I can sit back and enjoy my pilfered miniatures without concern.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by holtju2
Take plenty of photos. The full mini bar, while you are drinking and hold up you passport and RA card to identify yourself that you are actually drinking it, and then all the empties.

I would call myself a "above average" mini bar drinker. Assuming the average is 1 drink from the mini bar (given those high costs) I can easily fall in the top of the list.
But it's a perk.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by jason8612
I would call myself a "above average" mini bar drinker. Assuming the average is 1 drink from the mini bar (given those high costs) I can easily fall in the top of the list.
But it's a perk.
I think it's easy to be an above-average minibar user even if you don't touch the alcohol. I just tallied up my consumption for a 2-night stay at IC HK: 4 Cokes, 2 Seven Up, 2 Lemonades, 4 Cranberry juice (asked for extras), 2 large Evian, 2 Fiji, 4 Perrier, and 1 of the weird Q10 waters. At HK$50-100 per non-alcoholic drink, that's US$200 right there. I wonder when the first nasty letter goes out for consuming too many soft drinks ("the hotel is concerned with your above-average consumption of bottled water. Please be advised that Ambassador members are provided with one complementary bottle of water as part of the Ambassador amenity, so there should be no need to consume water from the minibar.")
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
I think they decided not to answer me. I've been waiting for a week but still no email from them.
It's even worse.. Now I'm tired out and don't know what to do.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:17 pm

next time you will get a curtailed minibar!the hotels usually prepared curtailed minibar for RA.
Tip: as RA in IC Expo, you will be offered "suite without lounge access" or "club room with lunge access", if you booked cheapest room. remember, whatever they offered, you ask for the other! then you can gey full minibar!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D

Cheers
Marty
I have never in my 5 stays been given a letter at Sydney Ic its always guess work that they know Im RA!
I always have to call down and ask about the free movie and where is my amenity.
I presume they presume - one should never presume!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Welcome to the club

PS1: My dream would be, as a Royal Ambassador, to have my minibars full of Diet Coke only . In that case, my minibar consumption will be largely above average, and certainly will receive the nasty email from Ambassador Service (I still cannot believe this story is true)

PS2: Of course I do also have a Diet Coke at breakfast.
I actually arrange this when it's a regular IC that I stay at. BKK and PNH are two that just do it for me without asking. Great to arrive in your suite with the DC already loaded and cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.